1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Nice. Fiesta bowl is a good matchup. Those will be 2 solid games.

Sugar bowl is laughable.

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Seriously? They expect us to watch that shit again? :fu:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I'm incredibly disappointed the human voters did not fix this problem. Clearly they all want a playoff and figure this is the best path to it.

4. tj100

tj100 Senior member

With Alabama in the title game, the sugar bowl had NO good options. They had to build a game out of:

Stanford
    Boise State
    Kansas State
    Virginia Tech
    Baylor
    Michigan
    Oklahoma
    (they also could have taken West Virginia, but why would you want to?)

The Fiesta was probably lobbying hard for Stanford, and I would guess the Sugar Bowl didn't mind letting them go. I probably would have gone Michigan - Oklahoma; but Michigan - VA Tech isn't a terrible outcome.

5. tj100

tj100 Senior member

Yeah, the human voting wasn't that close in the Harris Poll:

2nd Place Votes
    Alabama: 78
    Oklahoma State: 37

6. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

The SEC has essentially convinced voters that their conference is so good that losing 2-3 times in it is the equivalent to losing once or not at all in other major conferences. There was a time when the rest of the country actually believed this dog and pony show but most of us have since woken up to the fact that the SEC regularly features two elite level teams, another two good teams, and a number of mediocre teams. This is born out by the SEC's record in bowl games in the BCS era which is good (they're ranked third of all major conference) but in now way head and shoulders above other conferences.

Alabama's body of work was not as strong as OSU's this year and everyone knew it. The only people who didn't were voters who have been told so convincingly that the SEC is head and shoulders above every other conference that they now take it as doctrine.

7. venessian

venessian Senior member

Screw this. I REALLY hope that LSU misses 4 long-distance field goals, including one in OT; that LSU receiver Reuben Randle throws a pass out of the Wildcat formation that is then intercepted at the 1 by Alabama’s Dre Kirkpatrick; and that Alabama wins, 9-6, in 1 OT. I also hope that OSU and Oregon win their games big. Let the BCS stick that in their computers....

8. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

OVERALL VS BCS CONF
    W L % W L %
    SEC 42. 6 87.50% 10 4 71.40%
    BIG EAST 32 8 80% 7 7 50%
    BIG 12 35 13 72.90% 4 7 36.40%
    BIG 10 32 12 72.70% 4 7 36.40%
    PAC 10 21 9 70% 6 5 54.50%
    ACC 30 18 62.50% 9 10 47.40%
    MWC 21 15 58.30% 5 9 35.70%
    INDEP 18 15 54.50% 7 10 41.20%
    WAC 19 20 48.70% 3 11 21.40%
    C USA 17 29 37% 4 21 16%
    MAC 17 34 33.30% 3 26 10.30%
    SUN BELT 8 27 22.90% 2 20 9.10%

1 person likes this.
  9. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I don't think I'll be watching the national championship game. Mildly disgusted.

10. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

fuck the haters
    roll tide
    that is all

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

What, exactly, is this statistic?

Is this in bowl games? Regular Season? Over what years?

12. Lord-Barrington

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101220/FOOTBALL03/312209935/-1/FOOTBALL

I said the conference with the best bowl record in the BCS er (1998- present) . It's open and available information, so you can check it out yourself.

I think the SEC's academics are so bad that their fans have just resorted to becoming football apologists full time.

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

^^ It looks like Steele's rankings.

I looked around, and the most comprehensive list I could find was Phil Steele's from 2000-2009, and the SEC is solidly in the lead (sorry for the crappy formatting - there's a better version in the link:

Rank Conf Overall
    1 SEC 48-31
    2 MWC 24-14
    3 Pac-10 31-26
    4 Big East 32-19
    5 Big 12 38-39
    6 Big 10 28-41
    7 ACC 35-36
    8 WAC 15-20
    9 CUSA 21-31
    10 MAC 11-20
    11 Sun Belt 5-8

I took a peek at the records for the two most recent seasons, which weren't included in Steele's list, and the SEC was on top in both years, meaning it actually extended its lead slightly.

Also, the SEC has the lead for the most BCS bowl wins, at 15, though the Big 10 has made the most appearances.

Edit: It looks like LB's more recent post is correct re: the entire BCS era if we use win percentage, but this is due to the fact that the SEC wasn't as dominant in the late 90s. However, in more recent seasons, and by "more recent" I mean the last 10+ years, the SEC is considerably stronger than other conferences.

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I don't think you can say that. It just pans out that the SEC gets ranked near the top among the teams with that number of losses. Arkansas is the second two loss team on the board behind OU. The first three loss SEC team in the rankings is Georgia, at #15. Baylor, Oklahoma, and Clemson are all ranked higher. Really, in the rankings today, which SEC team is significantly out of order? Bama at 2 or 3 is a judgement call, but it's not like there are any no loss teams getting overlooked because of it. I think that's pretty consistent over the last few years (this All SEC Championship aside). If Bama had two losses, no way would we be having this conversation.
    Ranked third? Where are you getting that from?
    http://blog.philsteele.com/2010/07/10/conference-bowl-rankings-past-decade/
    The SEC's winning % is quite high in bowls, even if you add in last year's mediocre 5-5 performances. I think the Big East's record is better by the numbers, but they play a lot fewer games and a lot fewer bowls against non-BCS teams. A lot of the SEC matchups are wildly asymmetrical, like the #5 SEC team playing the #2 ACC team in the Chik-fil-A Bowl. Even with all that they have a ~60% winning percentage over team years.

Also, you get stuff like South Carolina (which didn't even win the SEC East) just stomped ACC Champ Clemson. People pay attention to that sort of thing.
    Seems like it (unfortunately) came down to the eyeball test. People just thought Alabama looked like a better team. They probably are, but unfortunately we'll never know now.

15. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

16. Lord-Barrington

Isn't it better to consider the BCS era from 1998-present than just the last five years when the SEC really has been dominant (prior to which it was a mix of Miami, OU, USC, and Florida State)?

17. Lord-Barrington

Decided to take a look at the stats and retract your comment? Smart move.

18. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

As the guy even notes in his article, if you exclude the first couple years of the BCS era, the SEC goes way up. And the SEC has been way up recently, which is a lot more relevant in terms of judging strength than a 15 year timeline.

Also as I mentioned in my last post, the Big East and Mountain West's records are really misleading because they play a lot of non-BCS teams. Really who cares if you're winning the Bob's Big Boy Burger Bowl on Dec 27th against the MAC runnerup? Everybody knows the SEC is a hell of a lot better than the Big East or the Mountain West, so I kind of doubt that's the case you're trying to make here.

That list is for ten years, not five.

19. MrG

MrG Senior member

I considered the last 12. I look at 2000 through the last bowl season. Your complaint is that people currently consider the SEC to be unjustifiably superior to other conferences, but, in order to even begin to refute this, you have to go back 14 seasons.

Yes, the SEC has become more dominant in the last five years, but it was still really, really good prior to that. Georgia, Florida, UT, and LSU were all consistenly ranked in the BCS during the early 2000s. Auburn also started its rise to prominence during that period, and it wasn't uncommon to have another team from the conference pop up now and again (USC, for example).

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The debate over conference schedule ignores the most relevant fact in this discussion (as ChicagoRon pointed out): Alabama has already lost to LSU. Alabama should get a second bite at the apple only if they are clearly the second-best team in the country. Are they? Ask yourself this question: Would you bet anything of value -- say your SF membership -- on Alabama beating Oklahoma State on a neutral field? I'm guessing you wouldn't.