• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance that jacket might ever appear dyed? The green and brown you used for the goreckis would look fantastic on that jacket... not that the undyed natural color doesn't already look fantastic.

I've done some indigo dyeing and a little kakishibu (red/brown persimmon) - natural indigo once in Japan and synthetic on my back porch, which is a lot easier to maintain and still fades similarly (recommended to me by the designer for Prospective Flow). As long as the cloth is untreated and natural I think it should take evenly. I've never used the Rit dyes that are pretty widely available, but I'd imagine they're pretty easy to use as well. I've got some iron coming in the mail to experiment a little with grays. I'd say it's a nice little social distancing project to keep yourself busy.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done some indigo dyeing and a little kakishibu (red/brown persimmon) - natural indigo once in Japan and synthetic on my back porch, which is a lot easier to maintain and still fades similarly (recommended to me by the designer for Prospective Flow). As long as the cloth is untreated and natural I think it should take evenly. I've never used the Rit dyes that are pretty widely available, but I'd imagine they're pretty easy to use as well. I've got some iron coming in the mail to experiment a little with grays. I'd say it's a nice little social distancing project to keep yourself busy.
That kakishibu dyeing process looks fascinating and produces a very interesting tone of brown. How did you find it, both in terms of process and product? Madder also looks like an interesting agent for making a slightly more burgundy tone. This might be more fun than I thought. Thanks for the suggestions!

mrjbeee

Reaction score
950746FF-171A-4D86-AE10-EB984A6F47FF.jpeg
Quarantine cozy.
Reversible bucket + kurta + Loafers.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That kakishibu dyeing process looks fascinating and produces a very interesting tone of brown. How did you find it, both in terms of process and product? Madder also looks like an interesting agent for making a slightly more burgundy tone. This might be more fun than I thought. Thanks for the suggestions!
If you search "Kakishibu" or "persimmon dyeing" you'll find a few pages like this that give you a basic how-to, though I was applying as a paint-on to a Kapital century jacket I bought secondhand. There are a couple youtube vids from a while back that show them reapplying it that way, so that's what I did. I just diluted a bottle of fermented persimmon juice (you can find it on Amazon, the bottle is 500 ml and only written in Japanese - I believe it was 2 parts water to 1 part kakishibu) and then used a paintbrush to apply it over the top of the entire jacket. After that, I let it dry in the in the shade and some in the sun (gets pretty stiff again, like a new pair of century denim). Apparently, the color should darken a little after sun tanning. So i haven't done the cloth soaking myself, but imagine it's not too tough as long as you take care to rotate a little and make sure you get even spread. I'm going to add a bit of iron and then reapply another coat to see if I can darken and gray the shade a touch more to match a pair of kakishibu jeans I bought new previously. Doubt it'll match exactly, but it's fun to just mess around with. Hope that helps.

I love madder, and hopefully will try it some day as well.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E89B71F6-CA8C-4727-88C0-17A54BA8533C.jpeg

Shirt is TTS for me. Definitely boxy and slightly large in the torso, but I think sizing down would have been too small for me. I like the way it fits now. The pockets are also seriously great.

Pants are the tobacco tapiros that came a few days ago.

sartoria vacua

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1366070

Shirt is TTS for me. Definitely boxy and slightly large in the torso, but I think sizing down would have been too small for me. I like the way it fits now. The pockets are also seriously great.

Pants are the tobacco tapiros that came a few days ago.

randomly, i like how the mirror reversed 18 east cap reads as pure geometry.

also - i kopped the vito, but was trigger shy on the booth (that 5" inseam threw me off) --- i've noticed a range of fits on the thread from running silkies length to almost brushing kneecaps. The booth is gone, but for future ref how are folks sizing up/down/same to get these proportions?

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
randomly, i like how the mirror reversed 18 east cap reads as pure geometry.

also - i kopped the vito, but was trigger shy on the booth (that 5" inseam threw me off) --- i've noticed a range of fits on the thread from running silkies length to almost brushing kneecaps. The booth is gone, but for future ref how are folks sizing up/down/same to get these proportions?

Most of the shorts this summer have a 5” inseam like 5” baggies. That said, the rise is also much longer than most other bottoms out there, so it kind of balances out.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was actually considering the feasibility of doing that and looking at processes. It seems like the potential for doing this well varies greatly depending on fabric. I'd love recommendations from anyone with practical experience in doing this. Or perhaps I'll just risk it and go for the undyed jacket!
I just used indigo dye and dipped it four or five times till it was the shade I wanted. Pretty easy to do, just use a basin or sink you don’t mind getting indigo-y.

robat19

Reaction score
Hey guys. New here and looking to pick up some goreckis on Thursday and am wondering if anyone that’s around 5’ 6” can give any input on how they fit. I’m usually a 32 waist so I’m probably a M/L. Wondering if they’re going to be pretty bunched up on me or if they’ll be okay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads