1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

◕ ‿ ◕ May NPC - Temporary Management; New Rules

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Which is why you are still a member. If pushups were all it took to make a purchase, we'd be making purchases left and right. HB is going to need to do pushups to not get removed entirely or make a donation to be back in good standing. I know your purchase was a bit more than HB's, so if you donate half the amount of the hat, you get restored to full standing.

Speaking of. HARVEY---WHAT WILL IT BE?

DONATION AND SAVE YOUR SOUL?

PUSHUPS FOR PARTIAL REDEMPTION?

EXILE AND DAMNATION!?!

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I'll do the donation. Give me till Saturday, it's a Relay for Life weekend anyway.

1 person likes this.
  3. Claghorn

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I almost bought a pair of raw denim jeans today (Levi's 505). I held off and will consider if I really need them. The only jeans I have are crap (from Target of all places), but they fit.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands of straight-fit raw denim that can accommodate someone with thicker thighs and calves? I may still end up with a pair at the end of the month.

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

if you are planning to pay regular price ; then you may as well buy them at the end of the month,
    And first time ever in last 2 years purchase free month...so far !

1 person likes this.
  6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Epaulet is releasing a pair of raw denim next month in their Rivet chino cut. I can't wear really skinny denim, but their chinos fit me relatively well, so I'm gonna give those a try when they come out.

7. Claghorn

I think this has been a pretty good month for all of us so far. Only 9 more days until we can purchase. I need to figure out my list of what I'm going to buy. I think that there might actually not be anything, so I'll just reward myself for being a good boy with a Hober tie (because that's never a foolish purchase).

Also perhaps something from Wolf v Goat. I've signed up for their customer loyalty program but have yet to take advantage of it ($75 bucks gets you half off everything forever).

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I bought a sport coat today. Despite not being planned, I think it was a smart purchase.

Recent weight loss has taken me from a 42 L to a 39 L, and I have no tailored clothes that fit me right now. I spotted this Southwick for $5 at Goodwill. Unstructured cotton, 3/2 roll, navy with white buttons, tagged 39 L and fits well off the rack—I couldn't pass it up. I only need a sport coat once a week right now, for church, and so this should tide me over until my weight stabilizes, at which point I'll probably buy a MTM Kent Wang suit and blazer.

If this doesn't qualify as an emergency fund purchase, I'll happily pay restitution.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2013
    2 people like this.
  9. Claghorn

a) congrats on the weight loss
    b) definitely a good find. I've noticed that the breaks in the NPC often come at thrift stores.
    c) At 5 dollars, I'd make the donation. Pants not falling down is an emergency. An ill fitting coat for a single Sunday isn't.

10. Beatlegeuse

I sold some more stuff today, feels good to clean out the closet and make some money back. Also, I got an MTO shirt in the mail yesterday that I paid for in early April. It was nice to get something during the month when I can't buy anything!

1 person likes this.
  11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I think you are managing NPC May really well. I think you should be proud that you are saving us a lot of $$ and also unnecessary(junk) items.
    Well Done !!!

12. zzzzap

zzzzap Senior member

I just made a donation for a friend of friend who was affected by the Oklahoma Tornado. Not sure if that counts.

13. Claghorn

It does; consider yourself off probation!

14. Beatlegeuse

Forgot to post this earlier, here is my wish list of items I'd like to buy, separated by items that are "needs" and others that are "nice-to-haves." The spreadsheet is complete with hyperlinks where available, and also includes items I already started buying a few months ago. I tried copying and pasting just the content into the reply box here, but the formatting got all screwed up. For those that care, the Excel sheet is attached here. Yes, I'm overly organized and anal retentive.

Actually, looking at this again, I should probably specify which shirts I need and move those from the nice-to-have section to the needs section. I really need some BD collar biz casual shirts, considering I only have one right now.

[ATTACHMENT=6369]wishlist.xlsx (16k. xlsx file)[/ATTACHMENT]

2 people like this.
  15. Claghorn

That. Is. Awesome.

For those of you who don't want to click....it's worth it.

Alright...my list.

For sure getting
    White oxford cloth spread collar shirt
    Cream oxford cloth spread collar shirt

On the fence
    I really just want another Sam Hober. I'm thinking a dark gray grenadine would be nice (I don't have a black grenadine, but I have a black knit, so I don't think I could justify a black grenadine.

Dark Gray and Black that I already have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank god for NPC
    So Gatsby was atrocious, but for the first few days after, I really liked the contrast rounded collar that Nick Carraway had at one point; I was going to get something like this:
    [​IMG]

in a lighter blue to wear with a linen jacket, but I realized after about a week that it was essentially a single outfit shirt and would be a foolish commission.

I also came close to pulling the trigger on a couple Drakes ties that would've been redundant.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  16. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Yep. I've been to a few thrift stores this month. I knew eventually I'd find something for myself that I couldn't leave, and I planned to use the charity provision when that happened. But if you 100% can't spend money, stay out of thrift stores.

Done. Ten bucks well spent :)

Very awesome. I've been wanting to do the same thing and will post it here soon.

FWIW, I have both a black silk knit and a black Hober grenadine. Both get a lot of use. Gray is a great choice too, though. Good passes on the club collar and the redundant Drakes.

17. Claghorn

Last week guys. And looking really good. Like really, really good here. I've not heard back from harvey_birdman, but he said he'd be making a donation to charity and, well, since he's a lawyer, I trust him.

Members in Good Standing
    Claghorn*
    Man of Lint
    ChetBakerSings*
    Ianiceman
    harvey_birdman*
    mjd
    msulinski**
    md2010
    bpa
    PASstudy
    Beatlegeuse
    PMac
    Waterloo
    Da GOAT
    Zzzzap*

Members on Probation
    -

*lapsed but restored the balance with charity.
    **used emergency funds

2 people like this.
  18. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Thanks for the update Clag. I am holding strong. Haven't gone wnywhere near a store. Doing a lot of maintenance on my home over here.

19. Claghorn

FIVE MORE DAYS. HOME STRETCH!

Resisted a Drakes tie on B&S. It is a light blue tie of which I already have the same design in cream and pink. Cantabrigian was kind enough to hold one of the ties he is selling for me to buy on midnight of the 28th. I've decided against ordering another Hober, but will be commissioning white and cream oxford shirts on the 29th.

On another note, I think I'll be starting the June thread soon. Any ideas for improvement will be most welcomed.

20. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I am impressed by your energy Clag. No suggestions come to mind. I'll easily finish May spend-free. I'll probably sit June out. Don't really need anything but I am getting an itch in my wallet.