• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would MTM be the best option if I feel like I’m in between sizes for SC? Either way, I should come try some on.
Yes. Usually that feeling happens when one dimension is a little off (e.g. shoulders are good but chest is a little tight) so MTM allows us to “fix” all the dimensions that don’t feel right

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man @nomanwalksalone

Exactly what I was looking for. Was using Inis Meain braided belt before but this is more at home from Earth \Studios.

View attachment 2162293

Just realized I own one of each of those belts and never thought about comparing them before. Aesthetically I think of them as separate. No one’s asking, but they are both non-leather belts, and I’m bored at work, so:

Earth/studies is definitely gorpy and inis meain is sort of preppy. IM one is a wider belt, and E/S feels like it’s just sort of a strap. I suspect the E/S would withstand actual abuse better than the IM. I enjoy them both and use both frequently. The IM is probably the more interesting of the two. Cons: both seem to loosen themselves overtime, but the Earth/studies one seems to be slightly more difficult to retighten, possibly related to having all of that extra length on it. My IM one began to unravel — I had to fix it with some hand sewing.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My IM one began to unravel — I had to fix it with some hand sewing.

I can see the beginning of what may be unraveling on my own belt. Thinking that if the fabric is synthetic I could easily heat the end to seal/melt the end as you would after cutting synthetic webbing or rope, but holding back in case I'm wrong. @gdl203 do you happen to know whether the IM belt fabric is synthetic? Alternatively was thinking of using a thin cyanoacrylate glue to seal the end.

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the chances NMWA would be willing to do a trunk show in SF? Is there a minimum that would make this financially viable for the gang?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see the beginning of what may be unraveling on my own belt. Thinking that if the fabric is synthetic I could easily heat the end to seal/melt the end as you would after cutting synthetic webbing or rope, but holding back in case I'm wrong. @gdl203 do you happen to know whether the IM belt fabric is synthetic? Alternatively was thinking of using a thin cyanoacrylate glue to seal the end.
I'm pretty sure they are cotton, but you can test a thread by burning it. If it melts, then it is synthetic. If it flames up and turns to ash, it's not synthetic.

jeremygo

Reaction score
I don't think you can size up on shirts the way you might size up on, like, a sweater. The collar size tends to be the collar size and can't be altered. If you size up you may fit better in the chest but the neck will be too large.
I think this is only really an issue for me if I'm planning on wearing fully buttoned with a tie. I'm usually a 15.5/39 but if the cuts too slim I've often gone up to a 16/40 with no problem, assuming I'm wearing 2 buttons open anyway.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random q, would like a tuxedo from the nwma formosa collab. Is that possible? How do I get something like that started. Thanks!

Send them an email. They'll make a tuxedo mto.

We make a lot of those. Please schedule an appointment for MTM

I just did this process and it was a breeze. Had an appointment in November with some idea of what I wanted, Greg patiently walked me through the options and process and had me measured. Then, went back in ~12 weeks later for a final fitting. The tux fit great, except for some minor adjustments as I lost weight.

The value is also excellent. I was also looking at other MTM tuxedos from Italy and was quoted $3.2k+ elsewhere whereas my tuxedo was ~$2200, so you're definitely in good hands both taste and cost-wise. Good luck!

+1 (very big plus one) for ease of the process, Greg's style advice, fit of the tux, and overall value.

Can't recommend this route enough.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the chances NMWA would be willing to do a trunk show in SF? Is there a minimum that would make this financially viable for the gang?
I’ve done a couple of those and it was some of the most exhausting stuff ever, even with Derek kindly helping me set up everything. It’s almost impossible to travel alone and fly with all the try-ons and fabric books that people want to see for a trunk show. Two people and hotel rooms for two nights = already a money-losing proposition. So a lot of stuff needs to be shipped UPS to a venue, often needing to rent garment racks because they don’t have any. The packing of boxes to ship there, unpacking, setting up, on your feet all day, then breaking it all down and packing boxes to be picked up and shipped… so much work.

All in all, it can be a good marketing event but it’s unlikely to have a positive return unless we managed to get 15 MTM orders or something like that.

If we charged more for our custom garments and had better margins, maybe we could do it for less orders. But I’ve always considered custom tailoring and shirts as a service to customers rather than a real business, so we take pretty thin margins.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just realized I own one of each of those belts and never thought about comparing them before. Aesthetically I think of them as separate. No one’s asking, but they are both non-leather belts, and I’m bored at work, so:

Earth/studies is definitely gorpy and inis meain is sort of preppy. IM one is a wider belt, and E/S feels like it’s just sort of a strap. I suspect the E/S would withstand actual abuse better than the IM. I enjoy them both and use both frequently. The IM is probably the more interesting of the two. Cons: both seem to loosen themselves overtime, but the Earth/studies one seems to be slightly more difficult to retighten, possibly related to having all of that extra length on it. My IM one began to unravel — I had to fix it with some hand sewing.

I had the fraying on one of my Inis Meáin Crios belts (got three). Took it to a local cobbler for fixing, I've been pleased with the results.

Inis Meáin Crios Belt Blue_Size L_Repaired.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads