• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get why this CP sizing thing still gets debated, for the Achilles at least. Size down one or a half size from your Nike/Vans size, unless you have wide feet (or at least feet on that side of the width spectrum)

piblondin

Reaction score

so how come if I go TTS I have a thumbs width between the toe and the end of the toebox and if I size down my toe is touching the inside of the toebox?

we both can't be right!!

Haha. What do you consider the inside of the toebox? Ie is the front of your toe touching? And what do you consider TTS? Your Brannock size or what you wear in Nike/Adidas?

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I got mixed up to who I was responding to - thought I was repsonding to cmninja but it was piblondin who sort of jumped in! Anyway it doesn't really matter as long as you're happy :)

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha. What do you consider the inside of the toebox? Ie is the front of your toe touching? And what do you consider TTS? Your Brannock size or what you wear in Nike/Adidas?

On the left foot the left hand side/centre front of box, the area that's closest to the front of your big toe.

Usually your big toe is the toe that reaches the out the furthest - some people have weird feet though.

Don't wear Brannock, Nike or Adidas.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brannock is the little foot measuring thing that most shoes stores have, it's not a brand of shoe. It's a foot shaped metal thing, you put your foot in it and slide the dial thing until it touches your toes.
I'm hella good at 'splaining things.

Jolek

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the Winter Combat boots fit vs the Achilles low? I'm wondering if sizing down for CP boots is warranted or if I should go with my regular CP size.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't size down. They are very close the the Achilles in fit.

If it helps anybody at all, I wear the same size in all CP's (44), I'm a 12 on the Brannock (and in Nike). And this is how I would rank them from snuggest to loosest.

Achilles
winter combats
Chelsea
Side zip Chelsea
Tournaments
Side zip combat
Derby shine
Cadet derby
Retro Achilles
BBalls

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brannock is the little foot measuring thing that most shoes stores have, it's not a brand of shoe. It's a foot shaped metal thing, you put your foot in it and slide the dial thing until it touches your toes.
I'm hella good at 'splaining things.

Trust me if it's not nailed to the floor I can wear it :)

Last edited:

Jolek

Reaction score
Thanks @Occulta. I've been debating pulling the trigger on the Combats so that helps to know I can look for the same size. I guess an insole can always bridge a small difference too :)

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Achilles new colours:

Jolek

Reaction score
One more question about the Winter Combat boots. Is the difference between them and the regular basically the tread? I assume they aren't insulated from the descriptions I've read.

jstrath406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone wear their tan chelseas a lot through the winter and have some pics of em? I wanna grab them on sale badly but even with suede spray I know they'll take a beating this winter and not sure how that'll look

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One more question about the Winter Combat boots. Is the difference between them and the regular basically the tread? I assume they aren't insulated from the descriptions I've read.

The lacing is different. They appear taller. They have a zip closure. The toe box is a different shape, the regular looks like the Derby - the Millitary looks rounder./more DM. As you note soles are different material.

What do you mean by insulated? Like a shearling lining / UGG? Then no but they are leather lined in a contrast dark brown leather.

Sotiros

Reaction score

Does anyone wear their tan chelseas a lot through the winter and have some pics of em? I wanna grab them on sale badly but even with suede spray I know they'll take a beating this winter and not sure how that'll look
As long as you don't wear them when it's super slushy and gross you should be fine as long as you apply 2-3 coats of some quality suede spray. I use Jason Markk repel. Also use your judgment before you wear them and make sure the conditions arent for winter boots (road grit and heavy snow). You could also stash them away for spring time too. Where did you scope some on sale?! Desperately trying to find 41 tans
1f605.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads