• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thursday Boot Co. Appreciation Thread News, Pictures, etc.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK I started this thread because I wanted more information on the Thursday Boot Co. and when I searched I really could not find what I was looking for.

I love high quality shoes and boots, I have quite a few pairs but I am always interested in something new for the collection. I regularly buy and sell shoes and boots updating and refreshing my collection.

When I search in general the Thursday Boot Co. keeps popping up and I decided to do some investigation. I have been trying to find out as much as I could for the past several months. But really besides the company web site there is not much out there. Sure there are a few reviews but what I want is honest reviews from guys like us on this forum not sales pitch’s.

I did find some mixed posts about Thursday Boot Co but nothing like what I am use to. For example if you go to the Allen Edmonds thread you will find plenty of detailed info about just about everything AE. I was hoping to find at the very least some info from guys like us, but I really just could not find anything.

As a side note I have been on the fence about trying a boot from the Thursday Boot Co. for about 6 months now. This past weekend I again found myself at the company web site. I had seen the Vanguard in Shell Cordovan in the past but was hesitant to spend $485 with a company I knew nothing about and could not even find honest info on. I have been thinking to try one of their lower cost boots just to give the company a try, but with most Allen Edmonds sales bring their prices to the same level it was hard to pull the trigger on a boot from a company with a short history and no real data out there. But all this said I seen that all the Vanguard Shell Cordovan were sold out except for 1 Burgundy Shell Cordovan Vanguard in my size. So reading that they only made 100 boots and that the only one left was in my size and in the color I had eyed, I thought this must be fate, it was for me to try. So I took the plunge and purchased the very last of the companies’ first cordovan run.

So I plan to post a full honest review of my boots once they arrive. I will take everything into account from order processing, delivery, packaging, workmanship, quality, fit, and the works.

So that is why I decided to start this thread in hopes of at the least providing some info to others looking for info about the Thursday Boot Co.

If you already have experience with the Thursday Boot Co please this is the place to post it.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, today I checked on my order wondering why an in-stock item was not shipping. I decided to call Thursday on the phone and it seems that someone else ordered the same boot in the same size just moments before me. So, I have no Shell Cordovan boots to review, my order had to be canceled.

Wanting to give Thursday a try but really wanting the Shell and not the calf I decided to see if they had any seconds in stock. I emailed them and they had a few so I grabbed a Captain and a Scout. I let them know what I wanted and I soon had an invoice paid and the order was placed. So hopefully I have something from Thursday soon to post about.

You may have not even known that Thursday Boot Co. had seconds available and you may not know what a seconds is from them.

So here is the beginning of some info that you may be interested in.

We do offer special prices for our factory seconds. Our factory seconds have either been previously tried on or worn in a photo shoot. They have light scratches and creases but are overall in good condition.

All of our boots are made with standard D width at this time.

For sizing, we recommend customers order the same size they wear in most other leather boots or dress shoes. The Scout style runs looser than our full lace-up style boots and most customers achieve a more comfortable fit by ordering a half size smaller.
Our factory seconds are final sale. In the event you need to exchange for a different size we are happy to get you started on the process but you'd need to cover the return shipping.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Review of the Thursday Scout (Brown) and Captain (Natural)

Both were packaged very well in a sturdy box, well wrapped and the pair separated.

First I want to note that both were purchased as factory seconds.

Initial thoughts out of the box, both pairs looked very good and appear to be well made.

Since these were both seconds I wanted to see why.

On the Scout the only issue I could find was a small dent in the leather (see the close up)

On the Captain the only issue I could find was some slightly jumbled stitching and a very small scratch mark (also a close up).

Overall for second’s extremely minor issues, I have bought first quality shoes and boots at 3 times the cost with more issues out of the box.

The view from outside:

Color
On the brown Scout nice and dark, very even however one thing I do to all new shoes and boots is condition them. When I conditioned the Scout the rag took on a lot of color, I have done this on countless shoes and boot of all colors and this is a first where the rag got so dark with color from the boot. On the Captain in natural no color came off and for cromexial leather the color on the whole pair of boots was very even. Overall both can be rated excellent for color.

Stitching
You can see from the photos the overall stitching is neat, tight, and accurate. Granted the one is a second and it has stitching errors but ah it is a second so that is acceptable. The stitching is top notch overall.

Sole
You can see the Dainite like sole seems as good as any on more expensive boots. Walking in it feels a bit softer and has more traction on wet floors then the Dainite sole of my Allen Edmonds.

Welt
Both pair of boots the welt line is accurate, very tight, even, and the welt seam is virtually unnoticeable. I took a pic of the only one that was even noticeable, look at the pics and compare it to my Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boots you be the judge. On the other boot and the other pair of Thursday’s you can’t even see the seam at all.

Leather
Like I said overall very even colors exspecially for cromexial solid look the just as buttery smooth as more expensive boots. So compared to the many shoes and boots that I have that cost 2 to 3 times what Thursday boots cost, yes I feel the leather on the Thursday boots is Virtually the same.

The view from the inside:

The lining
It’s all black and I felt that it looked synthetic and cheep, in fact I had to go to the web site to check and it says full glove leather lining. I have sent in an email to Thursday to confirm if this is the fact and if it includes the tongue and the footbed too.

Footbed
Time will tell but it has some padding and seems quite nice, like I said only time would tell how comfortable it is.

The boots as a whole:
Remember here we are talking about boots that retail for $149 and $199 shipped to your door. So at that price point man I don’t think you will find a better higher quality boot.

The Comp
Ok like I said I have plenty of shoes and boots costing 2 and 3 times what Thursday boots sell for so how do they stack up?

Leather
If we look at the leather quality when I do a side by side take the cromexial natural leather of my Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill to the natural cromexial of the Captain. I have to say virtually identical. I would even give the nudge to the Captain since the color is more even.

Build quality
I have to say at least the 2 boots that I have were built very well, the cut of the leather and the stitching, just excellent. In fact, I would go so far as to say the build of the Thursday boots is not only as good but perhaps better than the more expensive boots. Look at that welt line so even, it’s dead on with both pair of boots. Really for this price point the build quality of the boots is just excellent.

My only remaining question is if the whole lining including the footbed and the tongue is real leather. If it is then great, but you know something other than black would just give the appearance of higher quality. Let’s face it, all the more expensive brands use a natural color lining, somehow the black just looks fake.

Overall
This is my initial feeling, for this price point there just is no way to get a better quality better built boot, these Thursday boots do deliver everything and more for the price.

So the above was written last night and today in the poring rain I am wearing the Captain. Oh my, these boots are comfy really a nice fit. The interior of the boots is very soft and the leather of the whole boot is soft and pliable, they feel broken in already. The footbed, the small amount of padding is welcome and since they have the cork layer that means this will just get better with time.

So the boots have been on my feet for 4 hours now, and I don’t want to take them off, they are so comfortable. Wow what a surprise, these Thursday boots that retail for less then half what my top of the line Allen Edmonds cost, are actually more comfortable out of the box.

Also I know there is debate of to Shank or not to Shank. I say to Shank, I have always felt that my J Fitzpatrick shoes and boots were more comfortable worn all day and they have Shanks. The Allen Edmonds shoes and boots do not have Shanks and now I am thinking that is actually a mistake and a negative on them. Thursday like J Fitzpatrick has a Shank and it seems that support is really helping my feet.

Speaking about other manufactures and since Thursday does not make shoes if you are looking for ultra high quality shoes take a look at J Fitzpatrick just superior.

I do have some negatives:
There is no pull strap on the back. I myself like that little tab working with a shoe horn it just makes it much easer to get the boot on your foot

No in house recrafting. You may not think this is a big deal but I like the option of have a shoe or boot sent to the manufacture for factory recrafting it’s just better and should be an option. Also if you were to have a warranty issue it is easily correct in house this has been the case with my Allen Edmonds. I really don’t get it even J Fitzpatrick who is also a smaller shoe maker offers to send your shoes back to the original factory for recrafting, so I know Thursday could offer it they just chose not to.

In final conclusion side by side dollar for dollar the Thursday boots are the winner.

Nice stitching

See how tight and neat.

Great cuts and stitching

Stitching is neat the tight

Looks good all the way around

Here is the jumbled stitch not that bad

This is the small mark

This is the dent in the Scout

Do you see how neat this welt seam is compare it to the AE below

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny just after posting the above Thursday replied with an update on the lining.

"The boots have a full glove leather interior lining which includes the tongue and footbed"

So there you have it, a fantastic quality boots for an unreal price.

I guess my only recommendations to Thursday are the following.

1. The pull tab to make putting boots on easier

2. Do not use black for the interior lining as it gives a fake and cheaper look (yes now we know it's real leather)

Also as you seen I missed out on the Shell boots from Thursday, I would recommend they put out their Diplomat in Shell. Think about it, the Diplomat looks like an Alden Indy and would likely cost less than half as much. With Thursday's build quality it would be a sure winner.

So don't wait go out and get yourself a pair of Thursday boots you won't be disappointed.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok just got home from all day in the pouring rain and the boots were great. Still comfortable seems no real break in is needed and like I had mentioned with the cork footbed things can only get better with time.

Also worth noting my feet are dry, I have been in the rain and puddles all day. Several times my boots were in a few inches of water covering the entire toe and vamp, again totally dry inside.

So Thursday says the boots are water resistant, ah yea that and then some.

If you look the water is over the welt line and I have been in and out of this messy crap weather all day.

Last edited:

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After wearing the Scout

Ok took to the streets of NYC for the day yesterday and wore the Scout for the first time. I was on my feet about 7-8 hours walking most of the time. The Scout by design is going to feel and it does a bit loose, but that is just due to the design of this style boot. The fit was very good and I had no complaints all day. Now granted my feet were tired at the end of the day but that was just due to I am not normally on my feet walking hours and hours. The support of the boot was great and comfort of the boot was great.

It was wet in some areas and I was walking on tile and flat slick (when wet) floors at times. I can tell you for sure the sole on the Thursday boots (that looks like the Dainite soles on my Allen Edmond’s) has much more grip on slick floors then the AE Dainite.

Dollar for dollar the Thursday boots are a great buy.

kopo

Reaction score
@007Bond how did you find width compared to AE lasts? I brannok at 10.5d/e - 11d, and found 10.5 in Scout too wide, but length was great. Was afraid to go down to to 10d...

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@007Bond how did you find width compared to AE lasts? I brannok at 10.5d/e - 11d, and found 10.5 in Scout too wide, but length was great. Was afraid to go down to to 10d...
Length of the Scout is a little longer and wider than the brannok so most likely the 10D will fit you. Or to answer in ref to AE the Scout is longer and wider than the 65 and 201 last in the same size.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using the Captain all week for hiking and all I can say is what a great boot and for what I paid a super value.

The leather has gotten even more softer, so comfortable, here is a pic at the end of today.

The boots clearly are performing as well as, actually better than boots that cost 2-3 times the price.

Highly recommended no way you would be disappointed.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok end of the week heading home tomorrow am.

Final uncleaned pics of the Captain boots.

A fantastic week with boots that I bought as seconds for only $150.

The one thing I have to say is Comfort, just unbeatable. Originally I purchased the Thursday boots figuring for $150 how can I go wrong, even if they are substandard you did not pay that much. But after wearing them and hiking around for a week in them they are the only boot I would chose in the future. And yes I would chose these Thursday boots over any Allen Edmond's boot. Sorry to say this to all my AE friends as I sure do own a ton of AE shoes and boots myself. But the comfort of my foot does not lie these Thursday boots are superior at far less cost.

Just to be clear I paid for my Thursday boots and I received nothing in exchange for this review.

The only reason I even bothered to write these reviews is I was on the fence about Thursday for months because I just could not find recent reviews from people that bought them and gave detailed reviews like this one. I really wish that I had pulled the trigger and bought these boots a while ago and if I had found a review like this from someone that bought and used the boots like I did I would have bought them a lot sooner.

I really hope that this info has help you and as for Thursday Boot Co I hope that soon they add different width options as I know that is holding back some from purchase.

Last edited:

P12OFIT

Reaction score
Length of the Scout is a little longer and wider than the brannok so most likely the 10D will fit you. Or to answer in ref to AE the Scout is longer and wider than the 65 and 201 last in the same size.

I'd definitely agree with the sizing here related to the Scout.

The Scout was my first pair of Thursday Boots and I ordered 10D as I wear 10D in AE (all 65 Last). When the boots arrived, I thought the fit was good. I always struggle with fitting shoes for some reason. After 4 months of ownership, I do feel that I could have probably benefited from going down at least a half size. Ultimately, the boots fit great with thicker wool socks but do feel a bit loose with socks of a more normal thickness.

From a quality perspective, I do think the boots are a good value at $150. The leather is soft and supple, the stitching and finish are fantastic, and I don't believe anything else comes close at this price point. I do want to note that the inside leather did tend to "bleed" a black color on my socks for quite a long time. I've continued to wear those socks with the boots, so I do not know if this issue has subsided.

On a side note, I ordered the Captain in Natural last night and sized down to 9.5. We shall see what kind of difference that makes...

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never knew this thread existed. I had posted about Thursday boots in the AE thread but it didn't get much attention. That thread moves way too fast. Anyway, a few months ago I bought Presidents as an alternative to the Higgins Mills that were terrible. Same price for Thursday firsts as AE seconds. Here they are. Pretty comfortable. Its a shame I don't get to wear them too much as I recently had to get into more of a hands on role at my job so I'm wearing more athletic shoes these days.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely agree with the sizing here related to the Scout.

The Scout was my first pair of Thursday Boots and I ordered 10D as I wear 10D in AE (all 65 Last). When the boots arrived, I thought the fit was good. I always struggle with fitting shoes for some reason. After 4 months of ownership, I do feel that I could have probably benefited from going down at least a half size. Ultimately, the boots fit great with thicker wool socks but do feel a bit loose with socks of a more normal thickness.

From a quality perspective, I do think the boots are a good value at $150. The leather is soft and supple, the stitching and finish are fantastic, and I don't believe anything else comes close at this price point. I do want to note that the inside leather did tend to "bleed" a black color on my socks for quite a long time. I've continued to wear those socks with the boots, so I do not know if this issue has subsided.

On a side note, I ordered the Captain in Natural last night and sized down to 9.5. We shall see what kind of difference that makes...

I too am a true 10D and the Scout what ok at first but then after wearing a half size too big so a 10D Scout is more like a 10.5D in the real world.

As for the Captain at least for me different animal I ordered the 10D it fit good day one and I have worn the boot like crazy since I bought it and it still fits like a 10D.

So with that said if you are a true 10D the 9.5D Captain you ordered will probably be too small.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never knew this thread existed. I had posted about Thursday boots in the AE thread but it didn't get much attention. That thread moves way too fast. Anyway, a few months ago I bought Presidents as an alternative to the Higgins Mills that were terrible. Same price for Thursday firsts as AE seconds. Here they are. Pretty comfortable. Its a shame I don't get to wear them too much as I recently had to get into more of a hands on role at my job so I'm wearing more athletic shoes these days.

So I have the Captain mostly same as the President just has the cap toe. I am loving the boot it is actually at least so far way better than the Higgins Mill. I actually owned all 3 colors of the Higgins Mill and because the Captain is so much more comfortable I actually sold my black HM. I am actually thinking of selling the Natural and even my brown HM since I am liking the Grisly Wheat President, I joined the wait list on that one.

I noticed you said the HM was terrible did you own one and then return or sell?

I mean the HM is a good boot and yes a factory seconds on sale is the same price as the President or Captain firsts but I feel the Thursday boot is just better and seconds are only $149 so that is less than a AE HM second.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads