• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL Simon Crompton thread (PermanentStyle.com)

Aggro

Reaction score
This thread is for commenting about Crompton's Permanent Style (PS) site, as & whenever anyone feels compelled to critique its content

I feel he won't allow negative comments to his articles or the products therein
Too many asskissers who view Crompton as 'can do no wrong'.

I've been itching to make this post over the past few months, couldn't hold back.
I want to puncture holes in its increasing pomposity & surrealism
($200 T-shirts, $700 linen shirts, $500 tote bags etc)

1/ It seems like PermanentStyle has run its course as of recent.
It's become a parody & out-of-touch with the core readership where it now reviews (unnecessarily expensive) items, style over substance.
After all, most of the readership are multi-millionaires. LOL [sarcasm]

2/ In addition, there are only so many reviews of bespoke suits from bespoke suit makers before the major ones are exhausted.
It's not like reviewing cars where a new make or model comes out regularly so reviews naturally continue

In addition cost of a bespoke suit is not cheap.
The cost of the item reviewed is essentially the cost of that content.
It's not cheap; one review of an expensive bespoke suit, one-time content, basically.

3/ Also as of recent PS has moved to reviews of casual wear as well as more retail from the PS shop.

The items on sale are largely just plain old staples, nothing special.

4/ In addition with all the recent bag reviews, how many damn bags does a man need?
Tote bags?
Small crossover/messenger bags to carry cellphones/keys/mobile?
It's becoming more bizarre...

5/ These days I log on expecting to have a chuckle at the posters who clearly need a lot of help & will never find their own style.

Typical autistic questions: "Should I tuck this tshirt ihnto my underwear when wearing this shirt?"

6/ Crompton won't say aloud, but I bet 90% of the bespoke suits and/or jackets commissioned at big cost are now either sold, given to friends or sit at the back of the wardbrobe in storage.

He - like most of the readers/flaneurs - don't truly have the lifestyle to justify giving each of them a good wear.

Certainly not with the trend of being more casual - outside a business/formal context.
Hence more recent reviews of these "chore jacket" & similar things..

So much for the flaneur's adage of "buy bespoke because it will last longer to justify it's cost" blabla.
It only holds true if you keep the damn thing for a long time

7/ Anyone carrying a posh/expensive looking bag these days is asking for it, advetisng to theives that the contents being carried are likely to be expensive.
No thanks.

Anyone smart would be carrying something more inconspicuous

Tote bags?
No thanks.
An unnecessary extravagance especially if they have no shoulder straps.
No shoulder straps means no hands-free as one hand is encumbered holding the damn thing.
Plus it doesn't have a lid so not suitable when it rains.

Feel free to add any comments...

PS let the flames start.
"Don't like it, don't read it" - I'll say what I please. Free speech & all that.

Last edited:

Satmoche

Reaction score
You nailed it there.
Whilst he did 'help' some crafts people and shops with his pop-up store and/or articles, it seems like he has completely lost touch with reality now. The last straw, for me, was when he released the onerous t-shirts that you mentioned.

I feel like he is desperate to be part of a world which he does not really understand and that he will never belong to.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
The whole PS blog is selling luxury life style and so it caters to wealthier people and thus they have no problem selling expensive items at their store. If you don't like the pricing, just move on - you are not their target audience any way

Luxury lifestyle is doing blow off three hookers' buttcheeks in your yacht illegally anchored in international waters while your 31 year old socialite mistress who has a degree from LSE watches, or engineering a CIA coup in the People's Republic of Iranyzstan so that your holding company has access to oil reserves for the next 40 years.

Simon is for 39 year old white collar workers who have a bit of disposable income mostly because they don't have a lot of kids, mortgages, or real hobbies to spend their paychecks on.

Regardless, seems odd to write a whole manifesto about what is essentially a glorified Internet clothing salesman who has figured out a way to extract funds from a niche audience of dorks.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
i enjoy it sometimes, but with a grain of salt. the writing is very poor, though. i don't appreciate. how every article. has numerous. sentence fragments.

St1X

Reaction score
Simon is for 39 year old white collar workers who have a bit of disposable income mostly because they don't have a lot of kids, mortgages, or real hobbies to spend their paychecks on.

Regardless, seems odd to write a whole manifesto about what is essentially a glorified Internet clothing salesman who has figured out a way to extract funds from a niche audience of dorks.
Glorified internet salesmen are guys on YouTube who heavily play on their audience insecurities and sell them garbage under false pretense that women will want them if they'll buy this thing.
From where I sit, PS just found it's niche and audience that is willing to pay those prices without any bullshit sales tactics. So I see no problem with that.
SC also doesn't seem to be a snob like a bunch of other influencer who try to sell you expensive stuff

nevaeh

Reaction score
This thread is for commenting about Crompton's Permanent Style (PS) site, as & whenever anyone feels compelled to critique its content

I feel he won't allow negative comments to his articles or the products therein
Too many asskissers who view Crompton as 'can do no wrong'.

I've been itching to make this post over the past few months, couldn't hold back.
I want to puncture holes in its increasing pomposity & surrealism
($200 T-shirts, $700 linen shirts, $500 tote bags etc)

1/ It seems like PermanentStyle has run its course as of recent.
It's become a parody & out-of-touch with the core readership where it now reviews (unnecessarily expensive) items, style over substance.
After all, most of the readership are multi-millionaires. LOL [sarcasm]

2/ In addition, there are only so many reviews of bespoke suits from bespoke suit makers before the major ones are exhausted.
It's not like reviewing cars where a new make or model comes out regularly so reviews naturally continue

In addition cost of a bespoke suit is not cheap.
The cost of the item reviewed is essentially the cost of that content.
It's not cheap; one review of an expensive bespoke suit, one-time content, basically.

3/ Also as of recent PS has moved to reviews of casual wear as well as more retail from the PS shop.

The items on sale are largely just plain old staples, nothing special.

4/ In addition with all the recent bag reviews, how many damn bags does a man need?
Tote bags?
Small crossover/messenger bags to carry cellphones/keys/mobile?
It's becoming more bizarre...

5/ These days I log on expecting to have a chuckle at the posters who clearly need a lot of help & will never find their own style.

Typical autistic questions: "Should I tuck this tshirt ihnto my underwear when wearing this shirt?"

6/ Crompton won't say aloud, but I bet 90% of the bespoke suits and/or jackets commissioned at big cost are now either sold, given to friends or sit at the back of the wardbrobe in storage.

He - like most of the readers/flaneurs - don't truly have the lifestyle to justify giving each of them a good wear.

Certainly not with the trend of being more casual - outside a business/formal context.
Hence more recent reviews of these "chore jacket" & similar things..

So much for the flaneur's adage of "buy bespoke because it will last longer to justify it's cost" blabla.

7/ Anyone carrying a posh/expensive looking bag these days is asking for it, advetisng to theives that the contents being carried are likely to be expensive.
No thanks.

Anyone smart would be carrying something more inconspicuous

Tote bags?
No thanks.
An unnecessary extravagance especially if they have no shoulder straps.
No shoulder straps means no hands-free as one hand is encumbered holding the damn thing.
Plus it doesn't have a lid so not suitable when it rains.

Feel free to add any comments...

PS let the flames start.
"Don't like it, don't read it" - I'll say what I please. Free speech & all that.
I’ve learned a lot from reading Simon and asking him questions. PS’s comments section is almost an encyclopedia for me.

Still, the content has felt stale of late.

P.S. Flaneur doesn’t mean what many people on the Internet think it means.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If one is considering bespoke clothing without being knowledgeable about
style options or in a social network where examples of the tailoring may be seen
on friends/collegues, Simon is a reasonable and accessible way to familiarize
oneself with the work of different tailors. I wear MTM and RTW clothing but
should the opportunity arise where I would want to " go bespoke" I would
definitely consult Permanent Style, as well as SF, Hand Sewn Canvas and other
sites. In fact based on Simon's articles, I already have an idea which tailors
I would consider.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I see your points, they are quite obvious, but I do not understand why they should be a problem at all.

However I think you made one point worth to mention:
"buy bespoke because it will last longer to justify it's cost" blabla.

This is point that style influencers barely mention at all. Bespoke is always presented as something that will last you decades, which is true, but very often one orders a bespoke jacket or suit, wears it for a couple of times (two or three seasons) and then puts it away or gives it to a friend (charity), because either his preferences or his lifestyle have changed, or he doesn't like material or color or something doesn't suit his style anymore or simply he has grown out of it (euphemism for gaining weight as one gets older). These facts (which happen quite often in my opinion) degrade the value of bespoke as such.

Axxl

Reaction score
"Free speech and all..." seems to justify about anything these days. Some opinions are just best be kept by oneself. It usually reflects more on the writer than oth the person assaulted. While I do not agree with everything Mr. Crompton says and does, I find his articles informative and his style more often than not to be very wearable. If you can't afford his pricing, just take the style advise and source elsewhere. There are many options these days to dress smart within almost any budget. PS caters to those who can afford it and like their style. Why bother? Seems like the OP has a personal issue with PS he is taking to market for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads