• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi All,

Received these NSTs from AoM and need your opinion. Overall I think the shoe looks great but there are these small specs in the uppers in one of the shoes. What would you do? Would you return these or keep them? I may be being a little OCD and need some input from the experts.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

View attachment 900059 View attachment 900060

View attachment 900058
Some lotion/conditioner and a spoon can handle those I'd imagine. I've certainly smoothed out worse.

AJ1

Reaction score
Some lotion/conditioner and a spoon can handle those I'd imagine. I've certainly smoothed out worse.

Thanks. Do you know what causes the spots? What type of lotion/conditioner would you recommend?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hi All,

Received these NSTs from AoM and need your opinion. Overall I think the shoe looks great but there are these small specs in the uppers in one of the shoes. What would you do? Would you return these or keep them? I may be being a little OCD and need some input from the experts.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

View attachment 900059 View attachment 900060

View attachment 900058

I would personally keep those. I own some that are probably worse than that. It will even out with a little time if you don’t want to spoon your shoes.

View attachment 900066 View attachment 900067
Decided to leave tree up another day, so just relaxing in chair and watching thermometer plummet, high tomorrow is forecast for 1 degree F.

Looking good in your new NSTs. If it was that cold here I wouldn’t move. Keep warm!

-Mike

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told recently that TSM will no longer be making anything in exotics other than the Cigar LWB, Cigar Indy, Whiskey LWB, and Ravello Wingtip Boot.

I don’t know when and I don’t know how but one day a ravello wingtip boot will be sitting in my closet! I want that boot so bad....
:brick:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you know what causes the spots? What type of lotion/conditioner would you recommend?
Dropped during build? Leather issues straight from Horween? I don't know; I've seen what look like someone took a pen and stabbed at shell before. There's something to be said for shoes having some flaws (more interesting), but it just depends on if they drive you crazy while wearing if you want to work them out.

Bick 4/VSC would be a go to. You'd be doing the "deer bone" method of massaging the shell smooth using the spoon with the lotion as the lube. It could take a few sessions of work to get them completely gone, but I've made gouges disappear doing so.

FireM

Reaction score
My first message here :)

First of all, I want to thank you all for the deep, friendly and useful messages I have read on this topic in the last few days : many infos were vital to me, cheers !

Lucky story about those : I saw Parajumpers online for around 400 bucks yesterday, but I wasn't sure whether the size was right, so I decided to go to Barnabé, the Alden retailer of my hometown (Montpellier, France). They had a pair of Plain toe boots there, the fit was perfect. But after a quick chat with the local seller we both agreed that the Parajumper, being 1/2 size bigger, wouldn't fit me well. How sad :'(

So I was about to leave the shop with a broken heart when the seller remembered that a client had left a pair of Plain Toe just before Christmas, the exact same size as those I tried (his wife thought that he already had enough pairs... be strong my man^^). Those Plain boots were almost new (I would say worn less than 10 times ? Maybe someone will be able to help me out about that here :) ), I did not saw any major issue or scar, we just had to clean them up a bit.

They were sold at 800€ in store (welp, France...), after some negotiation I managed to get them for 300€, with the full packaging including Alden shoe tree.

After some brushing and cleaning (I don't have a bone or polish right know, would it be better to get some ?), there they are !
Now all my French fellows are jealous hahahah

3.png

Last edited:

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First of all, I want to thank you all for the deep, friendly and useful messages I have read on this topic in the last few days : many infos were vital to me, cheers !

Lucky story about those : I saw Parajumpers online for around 400 bucks yesterday, but I wasn't sure whether the size was right, so I decided to go to Barnabé, the Alden retailer of my hometown (Montpellier, France). They had a pair of Plain toe boots there, the fit was perfect. But after a quick chat with the local seller we both agreed that the Parajumper, being 1/2 size bigger, wouldn't fit me well. How sad :'(

So I was about to leave the shop with a broken heart when the seller remembered that a client had left a pair of Plain Toe just before Christmas, the exact same size as those I tried (his wife thought that he already had enough pairs... be strong my man^^). Those Plain boots were almost new (I would say worn less than 10 times ? Maybe someone will be able to help me out about that here :) ), I did not saw any major issue or scar, we just had to clean them up a bit.

They were sold at 800€ in store (welp, France...), after some negotiation I managed to get them for 300€, with the full packaging including Alden shoe tree.

After some brushing and cleaning (I don't have a bone or polish right know, would it be better to get some ?), there they are !
Know all my French fellows are jealous hahahah

View attachment 900239

Early Bonne année!
A great pick with great story behind!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Know all my French fellows are jealous hahahah

View attachment 900239
Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, congratulations on a really stunning pair of boots! Those look terrific - lots of nice details - and should be really versatile for you. And #8 is the classic.

Getting a lightly-used pair of shell Aldens for under $400USD is outstanding in any market, so well-done on that score.

Lastly, I'd just get a nice, big horsehair brush if you don't already have one. I much prefer the 8"/20cm ones to the 6"/15cm ones - I tend to occasionally smack the shoe with smaller ones. I have one dedicated to #8 so nothing gets transferred from brushing shoes of another color. A gentle wipe-down with a slightly-damp cloth and a nice, long brushing is all the care you'll need on those for a while. You can find a great write-up on care of shell cordovan from @mdubs on his (very cool) site.

Enjoy your boots!

AJ1

Reaction score
Dropped during build? Leather issues straight from Horween? I don't know; I've seen what look like someone took a pen and stabbed at shell before. There's something to be said for shoes having some flaws (more interesting), but it just depends on if they drive you crazy while wearing if you want to work them out.

Bick 4/VSC would be a go to. You'd be doing the "deer bone" method of massaging the shell smooth using the spoon with the lotion as the lube. It could take a few sessions of work to get them completely gone, but I've made gouges disappear doing so.

Thanks for the thoughts. They are really not that bad and you have to find just the perfect lighting to see the specs so I've decided to keep the shoes. Id imagine anything that's handmade will have slight imperfections here and there, either way they look great. Part of the issue is me just be OCD and looking for perfection but will get over it.

AJ1

Reaction score
I would personally keep those. I own some that are probably worse than that. It will even out with a little time if you don’t want to spoon your shoes.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. Do feel better knowing that they will even out over time. Curious, do you know what causes the specs?

AJ

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 900239
Beautiful, wear them in good health in the New Year.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing better than seeing a new member with a great pair of shoes is when it also comes with a great story. Immensely enjoyed your post/story and congrats on a great pickup.

View attachment 900239

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. They are really not that bad and you have to find just the perfect lighting to see the specs so I've decided to keep the shoes. Id imagine anything that's handmade will have slight imperfections here and there, either way they look great. Part of the issue is me just be OCD and looking for perfection but will get over it.
I totally understand! When dropping shell money you don't like to see issues! Hope to see them well patina'd in the future. ;D

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

View attachment 900239

Congrats on your new boots and your first pair of Alden’s! I hope that you love them for many years to come.

You have already been given good advice so I have not much to add there. :)

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads