• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I’m Doubting Alden’s Future

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money definitely helps with the (lack of) looks!

https___arcmigration-prdweb.bostonglobe.com_r_boston_2011-2020_2020_06_15_bostonglobe.com_metro_images_9thannualhouseparty7large.jpg

Hawk8789

Reaction score
You discovered Alden less than a year ago and now you "doubt their future"?

What is the future you think they have?
  1. Better value elsewhere
  2. Mainly coasting on historical brand marketing/nostalgia
  3. Making better boots likely wouldn't expand their market at all
  4. Don't they already raise prices every year?
This is their past, present and future.
I found them, learned all I could about them, started buying them. Their business relies on return customers, yes? There is a cost to building the way they do, and a younger generation will not be buying Alden when they see the price/quality. I love Alden, but I cannot recommend them to a young man trying to get started in life, because the normal experience for me is bad heel stacks. That’s structural, not cosmetic. If every shoe has a heel stack, it shouldn’t be a question.

It’s basic shoe construction and I’m curious why it’s EVERY shoe I bought, but only occasionally do I hear it from others.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found them, learned all I could about them, started buying them. Their business relies on return customers, yes? There is a cost to building the way they do, and a younger generation will not be buying Alden when they see the price/quality. I love Alden, but I cannot recommend them to a young man trying to get started in life, because the normal experience for me is bad heel stacks. That’s structural, not cosmetic. If every shoe has a heel stack, it shouldn’t be a question.

It’s basic shoe construction and I’m curious why it’s EVERY shoe I bought, but only occasionally do I hear it from others.

I would argue that the vast majority of Alden buyers aren’t examining the heel stack so it doesn’t matter.

&Son

Reaction score
I have not had an experience yet with a "bad" pair of Aldens, though I have only owned about six pair of boots.

What I have had is a very mediocre experience with their Recrafting service. The last pair I sent in were returned without anything having been done to the uppers at all. New soles, new laces, nothing else. That said, the soles were done properly.

While I still like my Aldens, at the current prices for shell, I'll likely look at alternatives the next time I'm in the market. Which might not be soon, as I wear them less and less.

Hawk8789

Reaction score
I would argue that the vast majority of Alden buyers aren’t examining the heel stack so it doesn’t matter.
I’m not talking about cosmetics, mine were unwearable on hard surfaces in some cases, but most cases it was only after wearing them for a full day, they get more and more uncomfortable. The heel was putting pressure like pinching a nerve.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of Alden buyers are less particular about the issue you are referring to. Many probably don't even notice the issue you are mentioning. I am not sure if it would really bother me either.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not talking about cosmetics, mine were unwearable on hard surfaces in some cases, but most cases it was only after wearing them for a full day, they get more and more uncomfortable. The heel was putting pressure like pinching a nerve.

Well I guess I have a hard time being sympathetic if they caused you pain and you still bought 39 more pair. If I wore a brand of shoes and they hurt me that would be the last pair I ever bought from that brand.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And he spent it all on a woman who never even slept with him!!! Gives us accountants a bad rep as major simps.

If it makes you feel better, no one can possibly make me think of you as more of a simp 👍

Anyway, Alden in a way is the Rolex of shoes. The fan base is fanatical and happily begs Alden to take their money. They have a history/story, they make classic styles at a (retail) price that is hard to beat and they have no issue strong arming suppliers and customers into bending to Alden’s will. Customers are so happy to get heir hands in a pair, that they may overlook things that they would not from other brands. Both create artificial scarcity and frankly it’s a terrific strategy that few can replicate. And the reality is both create a quality product that hits above its weight, and given the sheer production numbers, lemons will make it to the marketplace.

The Alden “seconds” program is not so much a quality control process as it is a way to have a “sale” for Alden shoes without actually having a sale. Some seconds pairs have less issues then some full price pairs. You can always go up or down in price for similar shoes. The Spanish brands make some similar models. Some of the English brands make similar longwings. Don’t know of others that make an Indy style boot but I’m sure they are out there.

BlueSteel

Reaction score

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
https___arcmigration-prdweb.bostonglobe.com_r_boston_2011-2020_2020_06_15_bostonglobe.com_metro_images_9thannualhouseparty7large.jpg

This photo HAS to be AI generated.

Someone came up with some very clever prompts for MidJourney:

"Man on the left is wearing a green sportcoat, orange tie, and blue check shirt. His face should be 35% Scott Baio and 65% Anthony Scaramucci. He has a slightly pained expression on his face, as if the Miralax suddenly kicked in moments ago, and he notices a sizable line for the restroom."

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This photo HAS to be AI generated.

Someone came up with some very clever prompts for MidJourney:

"Man on the left is wearing a green sportcoat, orange tie, and blue check shirt. His face should be 35% Scott Baio and 65% Anthony Scaramucci. He has a slightly pained expression on his face, as if the Miralax suddenly kicked in moments ago, and he notices a sizable line for the restroom."

Whaa... Discomfort and insecurity with oneself leads to destructively spiralling over-compensatory behaviour and acquisitiveness?? No way!

(Look in the mirror, ye StyFo multitudes - it's what you do most, afterall)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads