• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

burberry trench made with polyester

dan1996

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just bought a burberry trench in London. Here is the model:

The model is significantly more expensive than the classical Heritage one, and seems to be looking fashionable on me (see attached), with an original design that differenciate it from your usual trench, and a thick tissue which doesn't wrinkle, which was why I decided to buy it instead of the latter.

However, I just discovered that the outer contains quite a lot of polyester (60% silk and 40% polyester), which is something I am really worried about, especially with this price.

My question is: is it acceptable that a Burberry trench contains polyester (and here over than 30%) ? Knowing that the design seems to be unique and that visually it seems thick and unwrinkable.

Some people say that polyester is not that bad, and isn't really a problem as it gives robustness and avoid the tissue to wrinkle (some trench are made of polycotton), but others swear by 100% cotton/wool/cashmere etc, saying that polyester should be avoided at all costs, or even that only Heritage models are worth their prices when buying Burberry.

What do you think ? Every advices are welcomed as I am thinking about being refunded and exchanging it with an Heritage, or keeping this model. But on the other hand I really like the design and have already some trenches (although not burberry), which is why I bought it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-171319_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407-171319_Instagram.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 105

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All that matters is that you really like the design. A 100% silk one is a nightmare, I have one such car coat from the now defunct Prorsum line and it's really delicate.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the day (the 1970s), Burberry trench coats came in two types. First, a 100% cotton version, pretty much the original design, that the sales associates recommended for "warmer climates". Second, a polyester and cotton version that had slightly different pockets and which was recommended for cooler (meaning the UK) climates. I've had my poly/cotton trench coat for more than 40 years. It's still fine and has given sterling service over the years.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the day (the 1970s), Burberry trench coats came in two types. First, a 100% cotton version, pretty much the original design, that the sales associates recommended for "warmer climates". Second, a polyester and cotton version that had slightly different pockets and which was recommended for cooler (meaning the UK) climates. I've had my poly/cotton trench coat for more than 40 years. It's still fine and has given sterling service over the years.
Yeah, I have my grandfather's old wool/poly trench (probably from the 80s') which has held up a lot better than the all cotton one I bought in the 2010s'

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just bought a burberry trench in London. Here is the model:

The model is significantly more expensive than the classical Heritage one, and seems to be looking fashionable on me (see attached), with an original design that differenciate it from your usual trench, and a thick tissue which doesn't wrinkle, which was why I decided to buy it instead of the latter.

However, I just discovered that the outer contains quite a lot of polyester (60% silk and 40% polyester), which is something I am really worried about, especially with this price.

My question is: is it acceptable that a Burberry trench contains polyester (and here over than 30%) ? Knowing that the design seems to be unique and that visually it seems thick and unwrinkable.

Some people say that polyester is not that bad, and isn't really a problem as it gives robustness and avoid the tissue to wrinkle (some trench are made of polycotton), but others swear by 100% cotton/wool/cashmere etc, saying that polyester should be avoided at all costs, or even that only Heritage models are worth their prices when buying Burberry.

What do you think ? Every advices are welcomed as I am thinking about being refunded and exchanging it with an Heritage, or keeping this model. But on the other hand I really like the design and have already some trenches (although not burberry), which is why I bought it.

I understand your pain, synthetic fibres are a no-go for me in clothes (only acceptable exception being a certain amount in my wool socks).

I also like the style of your trench and not so much the traditional one, so the only possible choice would be to have one made by a tailor with that design in a good cloth. I would prefer a wool one.

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
over 10% not to say 40% synthetic is a no go in garments close to the skin (from medical perspective alone) this being a coat probably they go for durability in every outside conditions...but again check how that blend works and how it is made, that much synthetic can work against you under the sunlight and warmer climate.Polyester, Acrylic, Nylon are the less resistant to the heat/sun, viscose is a better one.So at that price with that blend and that colour-careful

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your pain, synthetic fibres are a no-go for me in clothes (only acceptable exception being a certain amount in my wool socks).

I also like the style of your trench and not so much the traditional one, so the only possible choice would be to have one made by a tailor with that design in a good cloth. I would prefer a wool one.
You should really share your undoubtedly extensive collection of bespoke trench coats with the forum, it would surely serve as an inspiration for us all.

dan1996

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I haven't made my decision yet because it is a tricky choice (mostly also because I don't have enough knowledge unfortunately, and am currently gatering information).

I understand that silk is more expensive than cotton, which might explain why Burberry proposed a silk blended version. There seems to be a 100% silk version of this model, of course more expensive than what I bough. However it looks very thin, which is something I am not very fan of, and indeed it's quite a nightmare to take care of, and it can be easily damaged from washing and so on.

My main interrogation is: regardless of the design and the brand, what might explain why this model is more expensive than the Kensington Heritage one (made of 100% cotton, in England, and well known for its quality)? Especially knowing that there is polyester. Is silk blend more expensive than 100% cotton ? Or maybe it is acceptable to have some polyester as the trench is mostly made of silk, especially if we are not talking about "cheap" polyester.

My main concern is about the durability, how will it age and look like in the future, and if it will be confortable. Also I saw on internet than sometime, silk blend is in reality 100% polyester that looks like silk (I don't think so in my case as we are talking about Burberry).

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My main interrogation is: regardless of the design and the brand, what might explain why this model is more expensive than the Kensington Heritage one (made of 100% cotton, in England, and well known for its quality)? Especially knowing that there is polyester. Is silk blend more expensive than 100% cotton ? Or maybe it is acceptable to have some polyester as the trench is mostly made of silk, especially if we are not talking about "cheap" polyester.

The misconception here is thinking that the price of a garment, especially one from a fashion-forward brand such as Burberry, is a direct function of the cost of the material. In any case, 100% cotton is hardly an expensive fabric.

My main concern is about the durability, how will it age and look like in the future, and if it will be confortable. Also I saw on internet than sometime, silk blend is in reality 100% polyester that looks like silk (I don't think so in my case as we are talking about Burberry).

I'm sure it's not 100% polyester. As for durability, hard to say. If you choose not to buy the time-tested model (Kensington) then there will be some risk here.

TimothyF

Reaction score
The truly great Burberry is vintage, pre-1999 with Burberrys' label. For cotton coats they had 100%; 51% cotton 49% poly; 33% cotton 67% poly. I doubt the polyester versions are perceptibly warmer and less breathable than the all-cotton ones, and cotton-poly will hold up better to wear and stains

Keep in mind a trench coat is meant to shield you from the elements. Even 100% cotton will be treated and have some kind of coating on it. I also have a strong suspicion that mine (late 70s or early 80s) is fused 😱

Long story short, I'd go vintage for the superior cut and materials. But I wouldn't be bothered by the silk-poly blend, especially as has been pointed out, 100% silk has less practical wearing properties. Classic trench coats are supposed to be tough and functional, while flattering your figure

(Incidentally I did not exactly like the fit of my Burberrys trench, and found it had limited arm mobility forward. Don't know if this is just one model, or typical of the Burberry cut)

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
setting aside reservations about the fiber comp it seems like op likes his choice .

my $.02 is that the black poly silk version is pretty interesting and different , if you pass it by it may not come around again so easily meanwhile you can always find the cotton or cotton-poly ones they abound on secondary markets for not too much $ .

my own burb is all cotton ( prob 2000s vintage ) but it has the removable camelhair liner so it's good for colder weather . i've also had the poly cotton blended ones and they're good too but personally I really do prefer the drape of all cotton . de gustibus etc .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads