• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thursday Boot Co. Appreciation Thread News, Pictures, etc.

IEG

Reaction score
8699382A-39D5-40D3-B6FF-56C8310FD696.jpeg

funsizenick

Reaction score
View attachment 997913
New Wingtip Brandy! Can’t wait to wear them, it’s a little warm out right now in SE PA.
These look great! DO you mind if I ask how have they been for you over the past year? I'm interested in the Brandy Captains or Wingtips but can't seem to find out much about the leather (it's just listed as 'full-grain leather' on the website). I live in Hong Kong where it rains heavily through the summer, so some degree of weather resistance is a priority for me. Is it a waxy, pull-up leather like the 'Thursday Chrome' or CXL that they use in their other boots?

IEG

Reaction score
These look great! DO you mind if I ask how have they been for you over the past year? I'm interested in the Brandy Captains or Wingtips but can't seem to find out much about the leather (it's just listed as 'full-grain leather' on the website). I live in Hong Kong where it rains heavily through the summer, so some degree of weather resistance is a priority for me. Is it a waxy, pull-up leather like the 'Thursday Chrome' or CXL that they use in their other boots?
Couldn’t be happier, I think Thursday’s are a superior value, I think the leather is legit, these are easily one of my favorite boots. On the water resistant point, there is one area where I don’t think they consistently perform. I have 9 pair of Thursday’s and have found that some of them are more water resistant in the sole than others.
I don’t find the leather to be waxy?
Not sure if that helps

funsizenick

Reaction score
Couldn’t be happier, I think Thursday’s are a superior value, I think the leather is legit, these are easily one of my favorite boots. On the water resistant point, there is one area where I don’t think they consistently perform. I have 9 pair of Thursday’s and have found that some of them are more water resistant in the sole than others.
I don’t find the leather to be waxy?
Not sure if that helps
Thanks! That's really helpful to know that you're so pleased with them and that the leather quality is good. Interesting about the water resistance in the sole. Regarding 'waxy', I could have phrased that better - I'm interested in knowing if water tends to bead off or soak in to the leather itself.

SDB Guitars

Reaction score
Well, I have a couple of their boots in Horween leathers and I can say that, when only using cream/renovateur on the boots, water beads up for the first day or so, but will absorb into the leather requiring additional conditioning to keep them looking fresh. If you’re not concerned with retaining he “like new” look, just wear ‘em in. Here’s my example of a set of Thursday boots in Essex Horween, dues Oxblood, new April 2018 compared to last week.

929B1403-CD82-46E1-A2EE-03DF0973C6D2.jpeg

funsizenick

Reaction score
Well, I have a couple of their boots in Horween leathers and I can say that, when only using cream/renovateur on the boots, water beads up for the first day or so, but will absorb into the leather requiring additional conditioning to keep them looking fresh. If you’re not concerned with retaining he “like new” look, just wear ‘em in. Here’s my example of a set of Thursday boots in Essex Horween, dues Oxblood, new April 2018 compared to last week.

View attachment 1183056
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. I dig the worn in look of those.

bahngooman

Reaction score
hi all! just curious how the captain's fit vs wolverine 1000miles?
the smallest size in wolverine is 7, but are a half size too big. My guess would be to order the captain's in a 6 since everyone's been recommending half size smaller.

any comments would be appreciated!

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
Any thought on the new wingtip? I can’t find any word about it (except one reddit impression/review).

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
OK. After being on the fence for quite a while, I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger. Here it is. The New Wingtip in Dark Oak color.

DSCF3448.jpg

One thing to note: The original Thursday Wingtips were my "first pair of boots", so I have a little soft spot for the brand, even though I don't really like the original wingtips all that much (they are OK, just not all that great -- let just say that wasn't the pair that turned me into a boot-guy ... that honor belongs to Carmina 80179).

Out of the box, they were quite dull and obviously lacking shire. So I had to polish them with Saphir Renovateur and Saphir Pommadier. I was worried a bit about the paint coming off, but as it turned out, they took the polish nicely. I also added mirror shine to the toe, and again, they took it nicely.

The shape of the last left a bit to be desired.

DSCF3453.jpg

Note: I'm a fan of chiseled and soft-chiseled lasts. Carmina Rain and Simpson are among my favorite lasts, as well as Antonio Meccariello Chisel-2 and Vass's U and K.

This New Wingtip last is definitely sleeker than the original Wingtip's, as shown in this comparison photo.

Note that my New Wingtip is 0.5 size smaller than the original (US 10 vs US 10.5), as I saw a post in Reddit which showed the New Wingtip being longer than Captain at same size.

DSCF3463.jpg

DSCF3466.jpg

But to call it "chiseled" is a bit of a stretch. It's somewhat between square and chisel. A "Large/Wide Chisel" maybe?

As a result, the silhouette looks more elongated than it actually is, as the outlines are slow to converge. If they converge faster, they would result in sleeker silhouette and dressier boots.

I also attach a comparison with Carmina's Rain, one of the soft-square lasts, and one of my favorite (though I like Simpson more .... I just happened to wore this pair of Rain Shell Cordovan that they, so I took them off and tried the New Wingtip and compare them)

DSCF3439.jpg

(The Thursday looks quite dull in this photo, as this is right out of the box).

They are very comfortable though. Very comfortable actually.

At the asking price, they are pretty good, and I won't regret this decision :)

Commisar

Reaction score
I just recently stumbled on Thursday Boots, no pun intended, and within the span of a Month I have purchased a total of 4 pair, 2 pair of wingtips, The Diplomat and the Captain. I am really happy with everything about them, the fit, which for me was right on my normal size, the quality and the look. Honestly the pics on their website don't do the leather any justice. I find I am much more impressed when I see them up close but I imagine that would be the same with anything. I recommend them for sure. I am curious to see how the glove leather lining holds up over time, it is really soft and comfortable and I have a large amount of boots in my rotation so I don't kill them anyway but the lining is so soft I am almost expecting it to wear out especially in the heel. We shall see.
Question, what color are the Captains? I'm considering Captains in Brandy as their browns are extremely dark, almost black.

J-F-O

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I decided to sell my Thurday Captain boots in dark brown. I bought them a year ago and have used them once in a while but they were always too big for me. Even with insoles they didn't fit. I think their sizing should be labelled UK which is often one size larger in US and CDN sizing. I like the boots and the quality but...Anybody also had this issue?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I decided to sell my Thurday Captain boots in dark brown. I bought them a year ago and have used them once in a while but they were always too big for me. Even with insoles they didn't fit. I think their sizing should be labelled UK which is often one size larger in US and CDN sizing. I like the boots and the quality but...Anybody also had this issue?

The website says to size down 1/2 size from your normal sneaker size.

Jackstraw001

Reaction score
Called Thursday Boot Co. today to ask about Factory Seconds as discussed earlier in the thread. They still sell them and will email you a link to the Seconds web page when you call in. Looks like they have a pretty good selection of Captains, some Presidents and Diplomats, a couple colors of Vanguards and some Scouts in a variety of sizes. Discount is generally around $50. Probably gonna order a pair of brown Captains tonight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads