• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

emptym

Reaction score
Ya, if the cuffs are buttoned, then the cuffs are the biggest problem, although I agree that the sleeves may be a bit long. Have you washed and dried the shirt though? They tend to shrink a bit in the first few cycles, particularly in length.

Regarding the cause of the large cuffs, before your edit, your post said "the 'meaty part' of your wrists" not your palms. Did you send them measurements of your hands instead of your wrists?

If so, maybe that's where the Sam Cavato tailor measured. As we all know, most alterations tailors like to make jacket sleeves cover the hands a bit, since that's where most men like to wear their jackets. (Although, Thom Browne and the recent fashion swing toward extremely short, tight clothing is changing that.) In general, I think it's best to measure oneself. There was a thread here a while back in which people argued that tailors who aren't making the garment themselves have little incentive to do a good job and may even take bad measurements to get you to buy something from them.

And actually, even better than measuring oneself, imo, is to send measurements of a garment, particularly if one has a vision of how one would like something to fit. Body measurements are good only if everyone involved has the same idea about how tight or loose, long or short, the garment should be.

Last edited:

ezlau

Reaction score

Ya, if the cuffs are buttoned, then the cuffs are the biggest problem, although I agree that the sleeves may be a bit long. Have you washed and dried the shirt though? They tend to shrink a bit in the first few cycles, particularly in length.
Regarding the cause of the large cuffs, before your edit, your post said "the 'meaty part' of your wrists" not your palms. Did you send them measurements of your hands instead of your wrists?
If so, maybe that's where the Sam Cavato tailor measured. As we all know, most alterations tailors like to make jacket sleeves cover the hands a bit, since that's where most men like to wear their jackets. (Although, Thom Browne and the recent fashion swing toward extremely short, tight clothing is changing that.) In general, I think it's best to measure oneself. There was a thread here a while back in which people argued that tailors who aren't making the garment themselves have little incentive to do a good job and may even take bad measurements to get you to buy something from them.
And actually, even better than measuring oneself, imo, is to send measurements of a garment, particularly if one has a vision of how one would like something to fit. Body measurements are good only if everyone involved has the same idea about how tight or loose, long or short, the garment should be.

I made the edit because according to Luxire's measurement, that's where I'm supposed to measure it up to (meaty part beside your pinky when you clench your fist) - about halfway down my palm. I usually only measure my sleeves up to my wrist + a little, so I was a little surprised by the sleeve measuring instructions when I first saw it too, but thought it would be adjusted accordingly. ***Regarding the 'meaty part' I was referring to the sleeves measurements instruction (from base of neck to the meaty part of a clenched fist, right beside the pinky)

Also, I found out that the tailor probably adjusted the cuff a little too much for my watch, I'm about 1 inch off from what I should have given to Luxire.

Also, apparently Luxire makes their shirt with pre-washed fabric, and it wont shrink, but these shirt are fresh out of the box. Will give them a wash this weekend and hopefully it will shrink a wee bit :( Nothing sucks more than having an otherwise nice shirt that don't fit exactly right.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Weights of flannels? Are they brushed and super-soft?

Yes, brushed and super soft. Weight per meter sq: The one on the left is 240 grams, right is 180, middle one is about 160

emptym

Reaction score

I made the edit because according to Luxire's measurement, that's where I'm supposed to measure it up to (meaty part beside your pinky when you clench your fist) - about halfway down my palm. I usually only measure my sleeves up to my wrist + a little, so I was a little surprised by the sleeve measuring instructions when I first saw it too, but thought it would be adjusted accordingly. ***Regarding the 'meaty part' I was referring to the sleeves measurements instruction (from base of neck to the meaty part of a clenched fist, right beside the pinky)
Also, I found out that the tailor probably adjusted the cuff a little too much for my watch, I'm about 1 inch off from what I should have given to Luxire.
Also, apparently Luxire makes their shirt with pre-washed fabric, and it wont shrink, but these shirt are fresh out of the box. Will give them a wash this weekend and hopefully it will shrink a wee bit :( Nothing sucks more than having an otherwise nice shirt that don't fit exactly right.

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing anywhere on their website or where Ashish posted his instructions earlier in the thread that says you're supposed to measure at the meaty part of a clenched fist. There is a diagram that depicts a clenched fist, but that's for getting the sleeve length, not the cuff circumference. Next to the picture for the cuff circumference it says, "Measure around the wrist bone."

You're right that they prewash the fabric. And that should reduce most of the shrinkage, but not all of it. It takes two or three cycles to get that out. But the good news is that if that's all that's wrong and it was done mainly due to measurements, it can be altered pretty easily by a local tailor and adjustments can easily be made for future orders.

But I agree completely about an otherwise perfect thing with one or two things wrong. It is disappointing. At least for all us OCDers here constantly seeking perfection.

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ezlau, sorry to hear that your shirt doesn't fit you'd like it to.
You mentioned earlier that you own a Barbar shirt which fits you nicely in at least some parts, I'd send it to Ashish alongside the Luxire one and ask him to change some of the measurements according to the Barbar one.

Also, have you ever had a MTM shirt made?
It is pretty normal that the first shirt is off quite a bit.
Honestly I think it is a good thing as I always first want to get to know what the work of the tailor/factory looks like regarding construction and fabric and if I like it.
A wide shirt can always be taken in, a shirt too slim/short is unwearable and a waste of money, I have had this two or three times and it sucks.
Also, alternations are a good way to get to know the work ethic of the tailor. Is the tailor able to admit/discuss some things might be off? Is it for free? Does he listen to what you want to achieve and is he able to play it out?

Last edited:

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Let Luxire dress up your special occasion. Custom made Tuxedo shirts starting at 99.99

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's that layered over the tuxedo shirt? Also how are the christmas orders going?

Thanks in advance :)

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What's that layered over the tuxedo shirt? Also how are the christmas orders going?

Thanks in advance :)

Its a shawl collar vest.

Christmas orders on track.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads