• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our New American-Made Custom Sack Jacket

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Princeton RTC Leader.jpg

Hey everyone!

Ever since we started up our Rochester Tailored Clothing thread, the most popular request for for a traditional sack jacket. Made in the States. 3-roll-2 and 3-button cuffs. Fully canvassed, full liner, and a center vent.

I'm thrilled to say that we added this shape to our custom lineup today! I took at look at the existing models and found them to be either very slim and short (shoutout to Thom Browne) or fairly generous. Our shape aims to split the difference between that. We have a traditional sportcoat length and a comfortable waist matched to the soft shoulder and athletic sleeve that we offer in our other jackets.

You can see the item here.

And if you're ordering before Wed, July 12th, then you can use this code to take $150 off the price.

princeton150

That's equal to our full canvas upgrade charge. Our friends at RTC were generous to waive that fee for our launch and we're passing along those savings.

I think that our native fit is excellent on this, but it's an entirely custom piece. We'll do the chest, waist, sleeve, and length that you need. If you don't like triple open patch then you can pick your pockets. You can do 4 buttons at cuff or 2 buttons. If you want an American-made Sack Jacket, then I want to make it for you! So just let me know what you'd like if you don't see it in our options.

Princeton Lay Down.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is there enough material to make any of these a suit?
Hi there! Thanks for asking, I've actually had a lot of guys requesting this.

It will be about $325 to $385 to add a trouser to the jacket, depending on the cloth. We can easily do:

Charcoal Crosshatch Fresco
Navy 3-Ply Hopsack
Exploded Glen Check
Tuscan Sunset Linen Tattersall
Navy Wool Flannel
Oxford Grey Flannel
Chestnut Corduroy
Olive Moss Tweed
Harris Tweed Sand Herringbone
Loro Piana Rust Boucle
Loro Piana Lavender S150 Flannel

I'd say away from the Cashmere, Camel Hair, and the Loro Piana Zenit fabric for a trouser.

And the Loden & Ghost Flannel only had two units... one of which is claimed, so there's only enough for another sportcoat.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I put together a quick video on the fabrics with voiceover and commentary...

And thank you to everyone who reached out this weekend. If you look in the lower right of our website (desktop or mobile), there's a blue chat icon. If you have any questions and you want to reach me directly, just use that. We can talk in real time, and I can send pics and product links easily.

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 12.18.25 AM.png

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

1) Tomorrow (Wed, July 12th) is the deadline to save $150 with the code princeton150

2) In order to get the discount, we just need to have your fabric chosen and your order paid. Quite a lot of these pieces are going to first time clients, and I'm helping through through their sizing. There's no big rush for that. So if you know that you want a jacket and you're sure of your fabric, we can take your order today or tomorrow and apply the discount. After that I'll send you the information for a remote fitting and we can do that whenever it's convenient for you.

3) I put together some mockups of our best-selling fabrics to date:

Loro Piana Rust Boucle Mockup.jpg
Navy Wool Hopsack Mockup.jpg
Lavender Flannel Mockup.jpg
Exploded Glen Check Mockup.jpg
Genuine Camel Hair mockup.jpg
Loden & Ghost Guncheck.jpg
LP Zenit Mockup.jpg
Tuscan Linen Tattersall Mockup.jpg
Olive Moss Mockup.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any pictures of sample garments being worn?
Oh not yet, this shape is brand new for us. I just have the flat lay image of our initial sample.

That said, for pics in the wild... our friend Dr. Bon Ku wears our tailoring all of the time. Here he is in one of our custom RTC sportcoats in navy dyed Japanese sashiko....

342556394_1269590783651442_6160408067614641328_n.jpeg

342644244_151839257671117_4195577372429922491_n.jpeg

342606050_149620954587094_1036144279845249859_n.jpeg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd also like to see a specimen as-worn ,

fwiw i love the idea of this project and the solution so far ticks a lot of boxes for me . ive never been super keen on hf-type tailoring but really interested and optimistic to see how this pans out , i think the sack cut is quite viable ( appreciating that this is sw&d side of site ) so ... yeah . good stuff !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads