• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-using fabric from family heirloom suits from Venezuela: advice?

Ranciere69

Reaction score
My family is from Venezuela, though we now live in the United States. My grandfather passed away several years ago, but we still have many of his clothes, including an incredible suit made to order for him at an Italian tailor in Caracas (the country's capital city), Carlone. It was made to order in 1995 per the tag. See the attached photos, as you can see it is a wonderful medium-dark blue with very fine stripes in alternating colors of blue, teal, and red. I am lucky because this is just one of three suits that are family heirlooms from the old country; from my other grandfather I have a tux that fits me perfectly, and then there's an extremely traditional tailcoat that is too small, both made to order from another Italo-Venezuelan tailoring house, Savino.

My grandfather was a very large man, over 6' tall and at least 200 pounds if not more; this suit is something like a U.S. 46-48; there are no size tags on the jacket. Obviously this cannot be tailored to fit me, I am a size 40, 5'10", about 170 lbs, very average build, although interestingly the sleeves are the right length. But it is of immense sentimental value: I am named after this grandfather and the suit was made/delivered to him just a few weeks before I was born, a thousand miles away, in the United States. My question to the forum: Is it possible to recycle this incredible fabric, by cutting it from the lining, and have a tailor make a new suit with my measurements from it? Would it be as expensive as purchasing a new suit? And any recommendations on tailors who could do so in the NYC area, New Haven CT, or Boston area?

Reposted from the general chat, felt more appropriate for here and I have not been able to delete that other thread.

Attachments

• IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4704.jpg
    IMG_4704.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4705.jpg
    IMG_4705.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4706.jpg
    IMG_4706.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4707.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4708.jpg
    IMG_4708.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess--and it's non-expert guess--is that you might be able to have the pants recut to fit. Jackets are a more complicated story, due to the shoulder construction and the length, which dictates the pocket placement.

You might post this question on the "ask a tailor" thread to get more expert advice: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...t-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions.265924/

If you can't make this heirloom suit work for you, is there someone else in the family?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would be easier to respond if we see a picture of you wearing the jacket.
ultimately it will depend on you finding a tailor to properly alter the suit and his opinion of what is possible.
The suit is made to a certain size so there will be compromises when altering it

Ranciere69

Reaction score
My guess--and it's non-expert guess--is that you might be able to have the pants recut to fit. Jackets are a more complicated story, due to the shoulder construction and the length, which dictates the pocket placement.

You might post this question on the "ask a tailor" thread to get more expert advice: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...t-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions.265924/

If you can't make this heirloom suit work for you, is there someone else in the family?
Thank you, will check out that thread. I had a typo in the original post, my grandfather's suit is like a 46-48 or even a 50, I am a 40, so there's no chance it can be altered to fit me (but maybe the pants can, to your suggestion).
The cousins that are closer to his size live overseas, but that's a great idea--Will activate the WhatsApp network. The fabric is spectacular. Thanks.

Corson

Reaction score
You may have a chance to remake the trousers as said above and reclaim the cloth of the jacket to make it into a vest for wearing in a 3-pieces separates with another jacket.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ranciere69, as you've probably discovered Despos is a master tailor. Follow his advice!

Ranciere69

Reaction score
Would be easier to respond if we see a picture of you wearing the jacket.
ultimately it will depend on you finding a tailor to properly alter the suit and his opinion of what is possible.
The suit is made to a certain size so there will be compromises when altering it
Please see attached. Thank you very much!

Attachments

• IMG_4716.jpg
    IMG_4716.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4718 (1).jpg
    IMG_4718 (1).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4719.jpg
    IMG_4719.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 104

Matt S

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it will not be possible to remake the suit jacket into one that will fit you because of the pockets that cut through it. It may be possible to recut the trousers around the pockets. The cost for this will likely be around the same price as or more than having new trousers made. The extra work in taking apart the trousers to make new ones might cost more than buying new cloth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads