• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice on First "Big Boy" Suit

suitedandb00ted

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New user here that's finding the need to suit up in the office more often. I went out this weekend and purchased a Hickey Freeman suit from Dillard's at the link below. The salesman told me it was a full-canvas suit, but as I've read more I've learned the HF brand was sold and that this is not full-canvased, and for the money, the quality isn't up to snuff.

So, I am hoping I can get some feedback and advice on where I should send my money when I get my refund on the HF suit.

About me: 31 year old man, 5'9", 175 lb with a stocky build, big chest. I look good in things that are "athletic cut" and "modern fit". My budget for the suit is about 800 USD all-in (so including tailoring) but could go up to 900 for the right suit.

I was looking at going back to Dillard's and grabbing one of these HSM instead, but something tells me I might find myself in the same situation:

Performance NY Modern Fit

NY Modern Fit

I am open to ordering a suit online, as I don't live near a SuitSupply and my best options really are Dillard's or Nordstrom for my price range.

Happy to supply anymore information to help you help me!

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Finding a suit that will fit your body well and is high quality can be a daunting experience.

At your price point you’ll likely have the best luck with finding things online - There are a lot of options out there and one thing you’ll want to keep in mind is a return policy.

It’ll help to know your size and more importantly body measurements that you’re looking for. You mentioned being after a modern fit. I’d advise you to avoid these fits. They’re far less flattering and look quite dated and generic.

For starters on your hunt take a look at Cavour and Spier Mackay. Both I believe offer free returns on your first suit order to help navigate sizing.

suitedandb00ted

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Finding a suit that will fit your body well and is high quality can be a daunting experience.

At your price point you’ll likely have the best luck with finding things online - There are a lot of options out there and one thing you’ll want to keep in mind is a return policy.

It’ll help to know your size and more importantly body measurements that you’re looking for. You mentioned being after a modern fit. I’d advise you to avoid these fits. They’re far less flattering and look quite dated and generic.

For starters on your hunt take a look at Cavour and Spier Mackay. Both I believe offer free returns on your first suit order to help navigate sizing.
Thanks for your reply and insight.

I am definitely going to go the route of an online order and hope for the best. My friend had a bad experience with Cavour last year, but I am a bit more willing to work with through the hassle.

In your experience, is following the online measurement guide these sites offer adequate to getting the right fit? Or would I be better off going to a tailor to have my measurements taken?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am built like you with broad shoulders as well. I prefer natural shoulders
and find "modern fit" too slim and tight. When purchasing tailored clothing
online you should have an excellent tailor for alterations. Not someone who
just cuffs pants and can shorten sleeves. If you do not have such a tailor,
a way to find one is to go to the best men's shop in you area and ask them
who they use for "special alterations". They invariably have an outside tailor i
in addition to their in-house alteration staff.

wozniak

Reaction score
Do you think you might also like another suit and or blazers/sport coats and shirts in the future ? I would definitely consider MTM semi custom company. Many people who buy on line like Oliver Wicks. I like Proper Cloth. What big city are you near ?

suitedandb00ted

Reaction score
Do you think you might also like another suit and or blazers/sport coats and shirts in the future ? I would definitely consider MTM semi custom company. Many people who buy on line like Oliver Wicks. I like Proper Cloth. What big city are you near ?
The biggest city near me is Nashville, TN. There are certainly some quality tailors in the area.

I will definitely be aiming to buy another suit in the future and Oliver Wicks has caught my eye and seems to have great feedback.

wozniak

Reaction score
Atlanta is the only place I know with a made to measure "Suit chain" store. That is probably a 4-5 hour drive for you. Yes Oliver Wicks general gets good reviews. You just need to take the time to get good measurements to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads