• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English Cut MTM Options in Washington DC: Ralph Lauren Black Label vs Hickey Freeman vs ?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Harry Rosen is starting up their Samuelsohn Mtm event, and they had Holland & Sherry fabrics at 50% off. Excellent value, imo.

Longmorn

Reaction score
Lm - I'd be somewhat wary of adjusting button stance and lapel width on a relatively extreme cut like what I have seen of the RLBL suits. They're kind of designed to look a certain way and messing with it might result in an ill-conceived suit. Not saying it can't be good, just something to think about and realize that you can't just increase the lapel width and leave everything else the same and have it looking more like a "normal" suit.

Excellent advice, and in line with my thinking. I had planned to have an extensive conversation with the RL in-house tailor about a holistic goal, rather than dictating specifics without the tailoring expertise to know whether they would achieve the objective.

I'm fascinated that so many on here are suggesting OTR with Field's alterations over various MTM options. Even with full respect for Will's talents that surprises me.

But given the unanimity here, I will definitely be checking out Samuelsohn before making a decision. Thanks to all of you, and I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Longmorn

Reaction score
Harry Rosen is starting up their Samuelsohn Mtm event, and they had Holland & Sherry fabrics at 50% off. Excellent value, imo.

While I appreciate the info, I'm not a fan of HR and living in DC it's not really an option anyhow.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Finding a picture of a Samy Todd seems to be impossible. Does anyone have one?

Right here:

cropknox

Reaction score
In my experience, a MTM program by branded label with an established look / identity will always result in a product indicative of that look/identity. In other words, a MTM RLBL will always look like a Ralph Lauren suit, which isn't a bad thing per se.

Since you have something very specific in mind, and sound as though you're not really a novice, have you considered seeing a Hong Kong tailor who travels to the U.S.? Due to the influence of English tailoring in HK, many of them are well versed in the English cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads