• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used (ebay) suits $200-$300 suggestions

AstonSenna

Reaction score
So I'm looking to add a full suit to my wardrobe. I'm 29, 5'10" and 160 pounds.

I have a somewhat flashy navy sport coat that I bought on ebay years ago that fits nearly perfect (minus shoulders maybe a quarter inch too wide), and i have an old english laundry textured black suit that i mistakenly bought at men's wearhouse about 10 years ago (granted, the jacket fits pretty well now after being slightly tailored, but the jacket and pants are undoubtedly cheap feeling).

I usually find my shoulders fit a 38 the best. 36 is usually too tight in the chest and can't hug anyone.

So I want a decent full suit to wear to events and gatherings , and also to a wedding weekend coming up in late winter. I'm pretty good with finding stuff on ebay, but am unsure of what brands would be suggested on here for my price range of $200-250 and a fit to start with (and yes, will plan on spending an additional $100 ish on further tailoring to factor in as well :) ).

A few I have found that I'm watching right now in the $200-250 range:

-Ted Baker London Jay Trim Fit suit (the one that's currently sold new at nordstrom)

-various Brooks Brothers 1818 made in usa milano and fitzgerald fit suits.

-SuitSupply Lazio and Sienna. I think their Washington suit is perhaps a little aggressive.

but i also have found, for $300 and up, some Ralph Lauren Black Label and Burberry stuff that looks really nice and (both made in italy lines), if these are considered nicer to go up to, or more or less the same as the others.

I have read enough comments about SuitSupply being a runaway favorite recommendation for brand new suits under $1,000, but what about the used market?

For reference on fit of things I did try on recently, I recently did try on a couple new J Crew Ludlow slim suits, and they were unconstructured ones , and a 36 was a total strait jacket on me (lol), while a 38 was so frumpy and lumpy and just felt terrible. Same with an unstructured 'slim' banana republic jacket in 38r. Both had huge excess material between the armpit and chest that i found would bunch up and sorta fold while standing even. Just terrible fit on me lol.

I'm mostly looking for something gray or navy. Aggressive pinstripes probably not best idea as my girlfriend doesn't want me to look like I'm in peaky blinders lol.
Thank you thank you! Look forward to looking good 😎

acconrad

Reaction score
200-300 is tough cause you’re just under the price point for the elite stuff at used prices (300-500 you can hunt for used Isaia, RLBL, etc and get something truly spectacular) but you can probably score Corneliani or dAvenza at that price if it’s used from an individual seller

AstonSenna

Reaction score
200-300 is tough cause you’re just under the price point for the elite stuff at used prices (300-500 you can hunt for used Isaia, RLBL, etc and get something truly spectacular) but you can probably score Corneliani or dAvenza at that price if it’s used from an individual seller

so what you're saying is spend a little bit more and have something truly great? I thought Suit Supply was supposed to be all that because of their half canvassing and fabrics. Ralph Lauren Black Label is a worthy step-up even ? Because I have both a gorgeous Corneliani and RLBL suits in my watchlist at about $350...

acconrad

Reaction score
Suit supply, if you search around here, is very mediocre and middle of the road. Not bad, but nothing to write home about.

once you get into the isaia territory you’re getting into the range of great value and excellent quality. My workhorse isaia navy suit I got in 2009 for somewhere in the 400-500 range and I had it til this year when I traded it up for an Attolini.

AstonSenna

Reaction score
with 20% right now you might be able to get something at your price range:

that's very interesting! They're generally regarded as as good or better than suitsupply from my own googling? i think the thing that bugs me the most on suits are baggy and big/low armholes that replicate a flying squirrel. so hoping their slim cut is good. will do some more reading on them

Betta

Reaction score
that's very interesting! They're generally regarded as as good or better than suitsupply from my own googling? i think the thing that bugs me the most on suits are baggy and big/low armholes that replicate a flying squirrel. so hoping their slim cut is good. will do some more reading on them
Their neocut has slightly higher arm holes than regular cut. Though admittedly that type of cut is not everyones cupatea.

:)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck helping friends with that budget fund stuff through RealReal if you’re US based. The 200-300ish range should cover a bunch of Zegna, Canali and Brioni options. 300ish might be just enough to stretch into Isaia territory.

krudsma

Reaction score
One of the best suits I ever found was from Polo RL when they were made in Italy (by Corneliani, I believe). Got it for $35 and it's one of the best looking garments I own. If you search ebay for Polo Ralph Lauren Italy you should find a good amount for $100-300.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Good brands that can be found from $200-$500 are Caruso, Sartoria Castangia, Belvest, Sartoria Partenopea, Canali, Luigi Borrelli, and MAYBE A GOOD ISAIA. There are definitely more brands, but these are good quality, with full canvas construction and high armholes for the mainlines. In my experience, I mainly purchase new-old stock from these brands, because new conditions typically remove the hassle of problems that come from used clothing, such as wear, rips, and holes that were not mentioned in the description. The price for this often begins at $500, but hey it's new and otherwise, you would be spending min $1k for retail. Often New-Old stock is just a couple of years old or even just from the previous season.

Good info: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/get-80-percent-off/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads