• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accidental Racism!

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
All I'm saying, that if this is a common occurance, more than likely it isn't as innocent as you believe.

Personally I have always respected those that will make the comments to my face, in comparison to those who will only make the comments behind my back.

Sounds like the OP is making jokes rather than talking behind someone's back.

I make tons of racial jokes with my friends. We're pretty racist, sexist, etc. They aren't accidental, they're funny and obviously inappropriate in situations. But obviously just because we say things doesn't mean we truly believe them.

Otherwise there would be many people in jail for saying "I'm going to kill you, *****".

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is like debating whether something a drunk said is excusable or not. Does the booze simply loosen the tongue? Or does it make the drunk say things he doesn't believe or think at any time other than when he is drunk.

Karo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
This is like debating whether something a drunk said is excusable or not. Does the booze simply loosen the tongue? Or does it make the drunk say things he doesn't believe or think at any time other than when he is drunk.

Touche.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. In this regard, I'll have to say that Whites and Asians are the worst-always trashing other races behind their back. My Latino friends dissed a lot of people even when they're there. Same with my black friends, and even more blatantly so. The only sad thing regarding racial jokes: not enough for Whites and Asians.
All I'm saying, that if this is a common occurance, more than likely it isn't as innocent as you believe. Personally I have always respected those that will make the comments to my face, in comparison to those who will only make the comments behind my back.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have taken any advanced courses in psychology you'll know that this not true at all. I say a lot of racial stuff against basically everyone and I am truly a hater. Sad, but true, and I'm not afraid to admit it.
Originally Posted by Viktri
But obviously just because we say things doesn't mean we truly believe them.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
If you have taken any advanced courses in psychology you'll know that this not true at all. I say a lot of racial stuff against basically everyone and I am truly a hater. Sad, but true, and I'm not afraid to admit it.
First, I'm going to say psychology is BS. That's what I've learned from it. I can find a psycholgist who can come up with a name for anything psycholgists "deem" irregular. Secondly, I am a hater. I'm a big racist. But if I make jokes about Jews and gas chambers/death or blind/deaf girls and Christmas, I don't mean I want to gas Jews or truly wish cancer upon a blind deaf girl. Similar to how while Prince Harry wore his nazi uniform he probably doesn't want to serve as a Nazi, subconsciously and otherwise.

gingham

Reaction score
Oh wow, this is a fitting topic.

I was trying to properly clean my vehicle before selling it, and came up with the hair-brained idea of steam cleaning the upholstry. So naturally, I went to an equipment rental place (which was lame since I should have gotten it professionally done).

Long story short, I walk in to the equipment yard and step into the office. No one is there so I go outside to look for someone. There's all sort of construction noise in the background so as the Hispanic fellow gets closer and closer to me I'm yelling about how I need a wet vac.

There's a pause before he smiles and says "no wetbacks here!" I froze and proceeded to gesticulate wildly and backtrack as I assured him I would never say something like that. He just laughed and I ended up getting the wrong thing anyway.

rimshot.gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gingham
Oh wow, this is a fitting topic.

I was trying to properly clean my vehicle before selling it, and came up with the hair-brained idea of steam cleaning the upholstry. So naturally, I went to an equipment rental place (which was lame since I should have gotten it professionally done).

Long story short, I walk in to the equipment yard and step into the office. No one is there so I go outside to look for someone. There's all sort of construction noise in the background so as the Hispanic fellow gets closer and closer to me I'm yelling about how I need a wet vac.

There's a pause before he smiles and says "no wetbacks here!" I froze and proceeded to gesticulate wildly and backtrack as I assured him I would never say something like that. He just laughed and I ended up getting the wrong thing anyway.

rimshot.gif

That's hilarious.....lol

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
First, I'm going to say psychology is BS. That's what I've learned from it.

I can find a psycholgist who can come up with a name for anything psycholgists "deem" irregular.

Secondly, I am a hater. I'm a big racist.

But if I make jokes about Jews and gas chambers/death or blind/deaf girls and Christmas, I don't mean I want to gas Jews or truly wish cancer upon a blind deaf girl. Similar to how while Prince Harry wore his nazi uniform he probably doesn't want to serve as a Nazi, subconsciously and otherwise.

As a psychotherapist I beg to differ, but that is besides the point.

Even if you feel that there is no particular correlation between racial jokes and actual feelings, the same arguement can be made for those who are admitted racists, and in turn continously make racial jokes.

For the most part racial jokes are based on stereotypes, whether or not you believe these stereotypes, is something only your interior feelings could distinguish.

If you pride yourelf on being either a racist or sexist more power to you, in all honesty, I can't figure why you would even be proud of that.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear a joke about "Jews and Gas chambers". That must have been a riot of a joke, dude.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most part racial jokes are based on stereotypes, whether or not you believe these stereotypes, is something only your interior feelings could distinguish. If you pride yourelf on being either a racist or sexist more power to you, in all honesty, I can't figure why you would even be proud of that.
When did I say I was proud of being a racist? The Germans accept that the Nazi party did was wrong - they have signs pointing to concentration camp locations; does that mean they're proud of it? (this is what I'm doing) (That's one of the reasons I dislike psychologists; putting words in people's mouths and misrepresenting what they say. I'm not sure if they're projecting (another psychology term) or if they see things that don't exist and need to point it out - see it frequently in the media.) To deny such feelings, in an extreme case like the Holocaust which can put you in jail, IIRC, in Germany, is ignorance. I was brought up in a society where women make something like 0.60 cents to every dollar a man makes so I'm pretty sure I have some sexist tendencies somewhere. You can deny what you will, but I always try to stay realistic (bring that's SoCal quote about the fantasy:reality ratio on this forum to mind =P)
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I would like to hear a joke about "Jews and Gas chambers". That must have been a riot of a joke, dude.
Obviously an extreme case, but it's all about context. It would obviously be inappropriate now. Think "free hair cuts" in concentration camps.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
(Lighten up?)

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Anyone who's ever played on an integrated sports team has undoubtedly heard and told a thousand racist jokes. It's almost all we ever did. If we heard an outsider saying any of those things about a teammate though, of course it was grounds for brawling. People are funny.
Reminds me of a time in law school when I went over to a friend's house to watch UF v. FSU. My friends were pretty diverse and this particular day it happened to be me (WASP) and my wasp girlfriend, one other white guy, and two cubans (one a cuban jew), a Colombian, a mexican, a rican, two jews, a korean, and a filipina. All game long it was one ethnic joke after the other. It was hilarious.
Jokes are jokes.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one of the nicer things about getting past one's twenties is that the allure of racist humor wanes considerably. At this point in my life, I tend to find it mostly cringe inducing at best. I think that often times tellers of racist/sexist humor mistake the good will of their audience and assume no offense is taken and, therefore, the humor is appropriate.

And, no I am not particularly P.C. and I used to play ball and have been in other settings where the humor gets rather raw. However, at some point, almost all of the racist/sexist humor is juvenile and, irrespective of what texts may say, represents underlying true feelings and beliefs for most.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually never make fun of my friends based on the religion or ethical affiliations but only lightly so: e.g. I'd say to my Jewish friends: I love that caustic Jewish humor or whatever....but Im basically more relaxed in that departement myself, since I also have been "discriminated" against in Asia (though in a more subtle way) cause Im white etc...if only all the humans (the humes) had more wit and humor and wouldnt take themselves that seriously respectively: could make fun of one another playfully and jokingly then it would be a better world as cheesy as it may sound...lol.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because Shakespeare said so: "...and above all, to thy own self be true."

If you pride yourelf on being either a racist or sexist more power to you, in all honesty, I can't figure why you would even be proud of that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads