• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accidental Racism!

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All kidding aside, Marc said it very well here. It does get bored after a while except when the teller of these jokes is Dave Chapelle himself.
crackup[1].gif

Originally Posted by marc237
I think one of the nicer things about getting past one's twenties is that the allure of racist humor wanes considerably. At this point in my life, I tend to find it mostly cringe inducing at best. I think that often times tellers of racist/sexist humor mistake the good will of their audience and assume no offense is taken and, therefore, the humor is appropriate.

And, no I am not particularly P.C. and I used to play ball and have been in other settings where the humor gets rather raw. However, at some point, almost all of the racist/sexist humor is juvenile and, irrespective of what texts may say, represents underlying true feelings and beliefs for most.

Karo

Reaction score
I'm not a racist, I hate everyone equally.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
I make tons of racial jokes with my friends. We're pretty racist, sexist, etc. They aren't accidental, they're funny and obviously inappropriate in situations.
Yes Viktri, it's funny you accuse me and others from the psychology field of putting words in your mouth.

I'm sure you meant it in a different manner, regardless you do seem to be proud of your actions. Like I said earlier, it's not against the law....so more power to you, if tasteless humor entertains you...carry on.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think race,ethnic jokes bring people together in a funny way. i played basketball in highschool and college, on some predominantly black teams. they would get on me about being jewish and i would about them being black. anything even stupid things like when the coach would say be here at 11 00, and youd ask if that was black or white time.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, humor is the trump card. If a joke is hilarious and told in good spirit, then I don't care what the topic is. Really, what the hell do I care whether Asians can pronounce "supplies?"

A lot of racists are rarely aware of themselves, though, be they joking or masked in PC, ironically because racism is so frowned upon.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Yes Viktri, it's funny you accuse me and others from the psychology field of putting words in your mouth. I'm sure you meant it in a different manner, regardless you do seem to be proud of your actions. Like I said earlier, it's not against the law....so more power to you, if tasteless humor entertains you...carry on.
It's not funny, it was intentional - think of it as a "taste of your own medicine". Here is the message I was trying to get across: observations are not statements of intent. Intent is not observable, you apply your own analysis (which is often projected by your own feelings) to arrive at a conclusion. If you think that statement of observation means I enjoy being a racist, you truly must believe that German's loved being Nazi's. I find that undoubtedly more racist than any joke I've ever told or heard. What is "tasteless" to you is obviously not tasteless to others - just check out the link I posted earlier. Those are jokes from comedians who make a living off of telling these types of jokes.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
For me, humor is the trump card. If a joke is hilarious and told in good spirit, then I don't care what the topic is. Really, what the hell do I care whether Asians can pronounce "supplies?"

A lot of racists are rarely aware of themselves, though, be they joking or masked in PC, ironically because racism is so frowned upon.

So it is acceptable to denigrate people just long as it is funny?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
So it is acceptable to denigrate people just long as it is funny?
No, you missed the part about good spirit. It has to be funny and in good spirit. Edit: Here's an example: What's brown, smelly, and can be found in an attic? The diarrhea of Anne Frank.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you missed the part about good spirit. It has to be funny and in good spirit.

Ok, though there are somethings that can not be said in good spirit.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i think race,ethnic jokes bring people together in a funny way. i played basketball in highschool and college, on some predominantly black teams. they would get on me about being jewish and i would about them being black. anything even stupid things like when the coach would say be here at 11 00, and youd ask if that was black or white time.

Wow, guess one had to be there.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Ok, though there are somethings that can not be said in good spirit.

Certainly.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the "racial" jokes funny only if they follow the most ridiculous path from stereotype to absolute exaggeration.
If the joke is about actual events or actual person's irreversible trait then one should be very tactful or possibly avoid such jokes.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
That was actually pretty funny...however their are people who don't know how to differentiate between funny and tasteless.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you missed the part about good spirit. It has to be funny and in good spirit.

Edit:

Here's an example:

What's brown, smelly, and can be found in an attic?

The diarrhea of Anne Frank.

That's kinda messed up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics