• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Alphadave

Reaction score
Rather than add a new thread I thought I'd bump this back up to the top with a couple of quick noob questions:

Anyone know if Cardelino is open at the moment? I'd like to drop some items off first thing in the morning. I assume no appointment is needed?

Do tailors in NY (specifically Cardelino) have a dressing room so you can try on pants and get their opinion regarding adjustments? My local dry cleaner (who does simple adjustments) does not.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alphadave
Rather than add a new thread I thought I'd bump this back up to the top with a couple of quick noob questions:

Anyone know if Cardelino is open at the moment? I'd like to drop some items off first thing in the morning. I assume no appointment is needed?

Do tailors in NY (specifically Cardelino) have a dressing room so you can try on pants and get their opinion regarding adjustments? My local dry cleaner (who does simple adjustments) does not.

I am not sure if they are open. You can call and find out 212-477-4654

They have a dressing area with a curtain so you can try on pants.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
I am not sure if they are open. You can call and find out 212-477-4654

They have a dressing area with a curtain so you can try on pants.

I just called and they aint picking up the phone and they have no answering machine either.

Alphadave

Reaction score
I called this morning and the tailor is off until Wednesday.

Thanks for the info re dressing room.

smile.gif

T&A Fan

Reaction score
I will put in another pitch for Bhambi's. I've had alterations on 3-4 suits done there. The work was excellent, and the tailor readily agreed to whatever additional changes I asked about (i.e. trousers or jacket taken in further than they initially were).

Cost was not cheap--about $150-200 per suit (including taking in the jacket at the darts, as well as collar/shoulder work).

I will add that Bhambi's bread & butter is NOT alterations, but rather full custom, made-on-the-premises business wear. There is an impressive collection of celebrity client photos on the wall.

I have several colleagues that spend $1,600-$2,200 per suit and get excellent results. Unfortunately, my budget still dictates buying suits at BG at 40-50% off, then finding a tailor to do the adjustments.

As far as Ramon goes, I went once, but felt the prices were essentially the same as Bhambi's, with the crew "not yet ready for prime-time".

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgfny
Edited with the groups reccomendations. Please make any suggestions to improve it.

I propose that there are 3 levels of tailors for alterations and would love to know everone's favorite in all categories.

Category 1) "Money is no object, I need my Anderson & Sheppard suit alterred and I don't fly to London commercially now that the Concorde is no more and my G-V is in the shop."
Basically a tailor to whom you could trust anything. Doesn't have to be expensive, but most likely is.

Raphael- recommended by several
Logsdail 9 E 53rd St, New York, 10022 - (212) 752-5030
Corvato 510 Madison Ave, New York, 10022 - (212) 980-4980
Raphael (212) 888-6887

Category 2) Value for money. All-around tailor that provides good value for basic things i.e. can sew button holes, but you might not trust him recutting pants.

Wilfred's 18 W 23rd St, New York, 10010 - (212) 242-3030
Bhambi 14 E 60th St, New York, 10022 - (212) 935-5379
Alexis 242 E 77th St, New York, 10021 - (212) 717-9412
Peppino 780 Lexington Ave, New York, 10021 - (212) 832-3844

Category 3) "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler." Can handle hems, cuffs and the basic things, but the best thing about the alterations is the price.

Central Cleaners on E. 81st St. 212-249-8649 $10 for cuffs or hemming trousers.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't forget Vincent Nicolosi in category one. Vincent Nicolosi suits range from $3,000 (which is for a two-piece suit-which consists of a jacket and one pair of pants made out of the least expensive fabrics that Vincent Nicolosi has to offer) to $7,000 (which is for a four-piece suit-consisting of a jacket, a vest and two similar or identical pairs of pants made out of the most expensive fabrics that Vincent Nicolosi has to offer). William Fioravanti and Liana Lee also belong in category one.

In category two, don't forget Giliberto Designs (there is no Giliberti Designs) and Mr. Ned.

Victor Talbots in the Greenvale Plaza in Greenvale NY (in the North Shore of Nassau County on Long Island-not in New York City-about 4/10th of the way between Queens and Sufffolk) also has bespoke that they call custom. If anybody here has experience (remember, negative experiences count just as much as positive experiences do, FWIW) with Victor Talbots "custom", please share your experience with us? Thank you in advance. Also, FWIW, I am guessing that Victor Talbots custom is category one but I don't know for sure.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
^^^ Is there anybody left who actually claims that Nicolosi is any good?

I have seen some very good suits made by Nicolosi. He cuts a DB for a friend of mine, which looks perfect.

But as you know, there have been pictures of pretty crappy stuff posted here and also some voluble complaints from credible people. It seems like every tailor has his detractors, and I wouldn't be surprised if the complaints, even about the talented ones, are occasionally accurate. Some matches just don't work.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was pulled into S.E.W. in Nolita last week and chatted with an older fellow about their suits.

Anybody have a suit made by Scott Allen Wasserberger?

Charming guy.

lefty

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T&A Fan
I will put in another pitch for Bhambi's. I've had alterations on 3-4 suits done there. The work was excellent, and the tailor readily agreed to whatever additional changes I asked about (i.e. trousers or jacket taken in further than they initially were).

Cost was not cheap--about $150-200 per suit (including taking in the jacket at the darts, as well as collar/shoulder work).

I will add that Bhambi's bread & butter is NOT alterations, but rather full custom, made-on-the-premises business wear. There is an impressive collection of celebrity client photos on the wall.

I have several colleagues that spend $1,600-$2,200 per suit and get excellent results. Unfortunately, my budget still dictates buying suits at BG at 40-50% off, then finding a tailor to do the adjustments.

As far as Ramon goes, I went once, but felt the prices were essentially the same as Bhambi's, with the crew "not yet ready for prime-time".

What kinda work do you have them do that totaled up to 200. Does it include trouser work ( waist reduction and seat alterations I need). 200+ is how much I usually spent, but looking to try someone different.

T&A Fan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
What kinda work do you have them do...

Fairly substantial work, including waist and seat on trousers, plus slimming of jacket and work on the collar. I would definitely give them a try.

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Erm. I think my tailor's charging me more every time-- sort of upping his rates to see wht he can get away with. I won't slur him, as I may be wrong, but I'm curious, Manhattanites, what would you expect to pay for:

1. On an overcoat, having the sides and sleeves taken in, and sleeves shortened?
2. On a suit, adding two working button holes, lengthening the sleeves half an inch (not from the shoulders), and taking a waist and seat in?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobdobalina
Erm. I think my tailor's charging me more every time-- sort of upping his rates to see wht he can get away with. I won't slur him, as I may be wrong, but I'm curious, Manhattanites, what would you expect to pay for:

1. On an overcoat, having the sides and sleeves taken in, and sleeves shortened?
2. On a suit, adding two working button holes, lengthening the sleeves half an inch (not from the shoulders), and taking a waist and seat in?

1. $60-70 for the sides + $20-30 for sleeve shortening. What do you mean by "sleeves taken in"? Slimming the sleeves through their length?
2. $40-50 for sleeve length and buttonholes + $20-30 for the pants waist and seat

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Yes, by "taken in," I meant "slimmed".

And it seems that I'm paying just a hair under 2x the numbers that you cited.

I don't remember my first few alterations with him to be as expensive as the last few. Which suggests that just maybe my tailor is incrementally trying to sniff out the top part of my willingness-to-pay scale. Which will cost him my business.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had coat sleeves slimmed down so I couldn't say how much it costs but it sounds like a delicate operation since the armhole cannot really be reduced accordingly...

My estimates above are pretty much what I have paid at Wilfred's for these alterations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads