Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jun 20, 2005.

1. nf one

nf one Well-Known Member

To elaborate on the above post, I'm willing to pay a good bit more than $10 but is there anyone who can do cheap alterations on shirts? I've got a few shirts that I'd like slimmed in the waist/sleeves and the length taken up a bit, but theyre mostly vintage pieces so it wouldn't kill me if the job was less than immaculate for a good price.

Thanks

2. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

Wow! What a useful thread! Thanks for bumping it!

3. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato Senior member

To elaborate on the above post, I'm willing to pay a good bit more than $10 but is there anyone who can do cheap alterations on shirts? I've got a few shirts that I'd like slimmed in the waist/sleeves and the length taken up a bit, but theyre mostly vintage pieces so it wouldn't kill me if the job was less than immaculate for a good price.

Thanks

I'll be moving to the Manhattan area soon. Would hate to leave my current tailor who does taking in jacket waist, sleeve shortening, taking in pant waist and hemming all for a total of $50. I know I'd probably wouldn't be able to find someone like that in the city. But a cheap tailor who can do basic things like darting shirts or hemming pants would be great.

4. bob digital

bob digital Well-Known Member

Can anyone post the price difference between Cardelino's and Wilfred's for slimming down pants?

I have a few pairs of khakis I would like to trim about an inch off all the way down the leg, but have never had this kind of work done before. I've used Wilfred's for some jackets and have found the prices a bit high, so I'm wondering if Cardelino's is significantly cheaper.

Thanks in advance

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Cardelino is considerably cheaper.

6. haganah

haganah Senior member

Have you guys used L&S tailors on 61st street?

I need to find someone to do a "lift" alteration on an overcoat and possibly shoulder reduction on a suit jacket. Someone told me to consider L&S and hong kong tailor jack but I don't know enough about the first and the second sounds like it might not be as great as the magazine reviews suggest? Is Cardelino a good choice without breaking the bank at Wilfred's or Bhambi's?

I've used Stanton Tailors but the line is a pain in the butt and some of the stitching has started to come undone on a few pants I took to them.

7. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I'd been using Cardelino for a while, but find him to be hit and miss now. Maybe it's because he's gotten busier. He now has his son(?) and wife (?) working with him, and maybe they aren't as skilled as he is. Other than one shirt I've had taken in, all I ever give him is basic cuffing jobs, nothing complicated, and I've had a couple of unfortunate experiences lately. I think I have to move on.

8. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

I'd been using Cardelino for a while, but find him to be hit and miss now. Maybe it's because he's gotten busier. He now has his son(?) and wife (?) working with him, and maybe they aren't as skilled as he is. Other than one shirt I've had taken in, all I ever give him is basic cuffing jobs, nothing complicated, and I've had a couple of unfortunate experiences lately. I think I have to move on.

Me too. I will continue to use him for simple cheap things --- but he ruined a nice shirt when shortening the sleeves. Back to Wilfred for most things for me.

As per Wilfred, I will note that he has gotten better -- or was the last time i was in there a couple weeks ago. Ed's girlfriend is back. I had my alterations in a week and the attention to detail was much much better.

9. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Have you guys used L&S tailors on 61st street?

I need to find someone to do a "lift" alteration on an overcoat and possibly shoulder reduction on a suit jacket. Someone told me to consider L&S and hong kong tailor jack but I don't know enough about the first and the second sounds like it might not be as great as the magazine reviews suggest? Is Cardelino a good choice without breaking the bank at Wilfred's or Bhambi's?

I've used Stanton Tailors but the line is a pain in the butt and some of the stitching has started to come undone on a few pants I took to them.

L&S are pretty good. Their prices are mid-range IIRC. The good thing is that they will fix something for free if you are not happy with it. I have never had them do something advanced like a shoulder reduction so can't help you there.

10. kiLLscaLLion

kiLLscaLLion Senior member

I live and work down in the Financial District. Are there any affordable tailors nearby?

11. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

Me too. I will continue to use him for simple cheap things --- but he ruined a nice shirt when shortening the sleeves. Back to Wilfred for most things for me.

As per Wilfred, I will note that he has gotten better -- or was the last time i was in there a couple weeks ago. Ed's girlfriend is back. I had my alterations in a week and the attention to detail was much much better.

how are they with recutting pants and removing shoulder padds?

12. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

how are they with recutting pants and removing shoulder padds?

Who is they?

Wilfred-- i have had wilfred recut several pairs of pants and have been quite satisfied. As per the shoulders, as I am sure you are aware -- anyone touching the shoulders can be daunting. That being said, i have had Wilfred take a little off the shoulders before and he has always done a good job-- at least with what was thrown at him. Was is as good as a jacket that fit right from the get go -- no. But one should probably not expect that either.

13. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

Who is they?

Wilfred-- i have had wilfred recut several pairs of pants and have been quite satisfied. As per the shoulders, as I am sure you are aware -- anyone touching the shoulders can be daunting. That being said, i have had Wilfred take a little off the shoulders before and he has always done a good job-- at least with what was thrown at him. Was is as good as a jacket that fit right from the get go -- no. But one should probably not expect that either.

thanks for for the info, I was refering to Wildred. I've used Cardilino for a while now, I agree sometimes their work can be subpar, especially for a more complex job like recutting pants. But in general , they are still good value.

14. 11211

11211 Well-Known Member

At their sale Turnbull & Asser referred me to Barchi Custom Tailor. They would fall into the highest price category.

(212) 752-1448
    120 E 56th St
    New York, NY 10022

15. wq1999

wq1999 Senior member

I have tried Peppino and Wilfred. While the former was frequently moody and occasionally performed sub-par work, I have found Wilfred to be too expensive. I recently came across Leva's Custom Tailoring on 328 E 55th St and have used them for a number of simple requests. Prices are reasonable and so far I'm very pleased.