• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
jiko2.jpg

Dude, obviously, I couldn't drink these on a regular basis. But the place we went to tonight, they were both available. So I enjoyed them.

Now, back to my Heinie at home after some chives and shrimp stirfry. Good times, good times.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Dude, obviously, I couldn't drink these on a regular basis. But the place we went to tonight, they were both available. So I enjoyed them.

Now, back to my Heinie at home after some chives and shrimp stirfry. Good times, good times.

Whodini-->Ballbuster.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
My favourite beer is Duchesse De Bourgogne, but unfortunately it isn't available over here. I tend to drink La Trappe or Emerson's Bookbinder if it's available.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I was at a cub's game this week, and had an Old Style beer from a can - the first time I've had a beer from a car since I visited Matt, and the second time in the past 5 years or more.

not bad, nothing I would go out of my way to drink, but I guess the perfect type of beer to have on a hot evening while watching a baseball game and eating a hot dog with everything.

Even though I love "good" beer, I actually drink Miller High Life from a can all the time. I've tried it from a bottle, and I've gotten so used to the can that it's just not the same.

Hey, at least I'm sending the empties to the recycling bin (my town doesn't recycle glass).

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
I agree, I think Dogfish Head is one of the best breweries in the US. I am drinking a Raison D'Etre right as we speak. All of their beers is solid. That said, I like Bell's quality and selection little more.

Interesting, I've never even heard of Bell's. I just looked on the website and they don't even distribute in my area.

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I was at a cub's game this week, and had an Old Style beer from a can...not bad, nothing I would go out of my way to drink, but I guess the perfect type of beer to have on a hot evening while watching a baseball game and eating a hot dog with everything.

+1, especially when you're at a Cubs game.
I like a lot of locally and regionally brewed beers, but as far as 'not hard to find' beer is concerned, I really like Leinenkugels, especially their Red and Creamy Dark.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328

The Texas part of me wants to endorse the Shiner Bock choice earlier in this thread, but I find it nothing more than an average bock. .

No, I hear you. Shiner is far from the best beer I've ever had, but I was trying to stick to more garden-variety stuff. I guess the intent I got out of the OP was to name your favorite convenience store brand.

Just like is someone had a thread about your favorite fast food I would say Whataburger and not Woody's or some other local dive.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I just looked on the website and they don't even distribute in my area.

That sucks, but it doesn't surprise me. They are based in Kalamazo, MI. I think their distribution is centralized in the Midwest. There's one advanatge to living here!
Anyway, let me take this bar exam next week and if you're interested I'll see if there isn't some way to ship a regular or mixed six pack down to FL for you to try.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
That sucks, but it doesn't surprise me. They are based in Kalamazo, MI. I think their distribution is centralized in the Midwest. There's one advanatge to living here!
Anyway, let me take this bar exam next week and if you're interested I'll see if there isn't some way to ship a regular or mixed six pack down to FL for you to try.

Thanks, I may take you up on that.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a lot of beers, but if I'm out somewhere it's usually a carona for me

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I think true beer aficianados (read: snobs) move past Guiness eventually, save for bars where they can't get anything else. Once I had the more intense, complex stouts out there Guiness tasted watered down by comparison. St. Peter's, Samuel Smith, Eight Ball, Left Hand, Dogfish Head, Rogue, and Young's are all makes stouts that are superior to Guiness, and those are just off the top of my head. Of course Guiness probably holds a sentimental, old-friend value to a lot of beer drinkers, which can be just as if not more important than any objective rating of quality.

Guinness is a dry stout, which, in my understanding, generally means it doesn't have as complex a flavor as some other stouts (imperial stout, milk stout, coffee stout, chocolate stout, oatmeal stout). I still really like Guinness, especially having had it in Ireland, where it really does taste better. The Samuel Smith Imperial Stout is terrific (I believe they also do an Oatmeal Stout which is very good). I haven't had the Dogfish Head Stout, but I'll try it (I had one of their 90 Minute IPAs and, frankly, I was underwhelmed - too much malt and not enough hops for my taste, but perhaps I'll try it again).

The best stout I've ever had came from the Harpoon brewery out of Boston. I think it was an Oatmeal stout, and I had it on tap at the Sunset Grill & Tap in Brighton. Unfortunately, I don't think Harpoon makes it anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads