• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone take a gander at his pricing?

He has to be a disturbed man.
He mentions Picasso....
is there not at least hundreds of thousands of failed attempts of creative emulations that results in complete abomination, that in turn get compared to the work of true masters in defense of their utter failure?
Eric, some advice:
Creation does not come from a deliberate attempt at rocking the boat. People like Picasso, Bill Gates, Stravinsky, Einstien, were all and are all very highly skilled, highly intelligent, and highly gifted examples of innovation. They did not dedicate themselves to altercation of an aesthetic, but simply could not listen to anything but the little voice in their heads that drove them to create, coupled with the amazing skill at which they were gifted with from day one.
You are trying to convince us that your designs are innovative (which they are not), and worse, attractive (ugly would be a creative and generous term to describe your designs, perhaps you can use that in your higly effective marketing).
I would suggest anything but what you are doing. Perhaps, you have some skill in sewing? You could start hand making some attractive shirts and sell them at that price. You are not an innovator, you have a horrible aesthetic, you are not a creator. You simply are not. Not even remotely close.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eek.gif

Originally Posted by kitonbrioni

Kiton suit
Brioni tie
E.Glennie shirt
NM belt
Byford socks
JL balmorals

eric glennie

Reaction score
thanks gentlemen for all your advice. i am reading and listening, but wont give up. having $20k invested in patents, spent lots of $$ in samples, i am not going down without a fight. as you can tell from my website, i am not blessed with a lot of money. if i dont put my "seeds" out there, i will never succeed which i believe someday will happen. these designs are too unique to get passed up by a fashion world looking for creativity and innovation. i am not quitting my day job anytime soon. This is market research gentlemen and i really appreicate all your opinions and comments so keep them coming. thanks eric

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"i am not quitting my day job anytime soon."

This is the first reasonable thing you have said yet.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Ok Eric, kudos on taking your vision, patenting it, and bringing it to market. Pushing a new design, such as yours, can be a very hit or miss proposition as you can tell from the reactions thus far. Some thoughts:

1. As others have mentioned, fix your website....this is free! Also stop posting on Craigslist. I'm not spending $200 on a dress shirt from Craisglist. Grammatical correctness is a must, and maybe find a better photograph of yourself. It's not bad, but I couldn't get through your pricing explanation with you staring at me like that.

2. Look into the MAGIC convention that occurs in Feb. and I think Aug. in Las Vegas. This is the largest clothing convention attended by all aspects of the clothing industry. If you really want to get some feedback consider manning a booth of your own for the event and see if you can garner any interest.

3. Take the feedback you receive to heart and really consider any further investment. Again, your drive is apparent but if you aren't providing something that people want (or are even willing to accept) then you are just pissing into the wind my friend.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
having $20k invested in patents, spent lots of $$ in samples,
I feel bad for you

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
lurker[1].gif

Ok Eric, kudos on taking your vision, patenting it, and bringing it to market. Pushing a new design, such as yours, can be a very hit or miss proposition as you can tell from the reactions thus far. Some thoughts:

1. As others have mentioned, fix your website....this is free! Also stop posting on Craigslist. I'm not spending $200 on a dress shirt from Craisglist. Grammatical correctness is a must, and maybe find a better photograph of yourself. It's not bad, but I couldn't get through your pricing explanation with you staring at me like that.

2. Look into the MAGIC convention that occurs in Feb. and I think Aug. in Las Vegas. This is the largest clothing convention attended by all aspects of the clothing industry. If you really want to get some feedback consider manning a booth of your own for the event and see if you can garner any interest.

3. Take the feedback you receive to heart and really consider any further investment. Again, your drive is apparent but if you aren't providing something that people want (or are even willing to accept) then you are just pissing into the wind my friend.

He went about this the wrong way. Seriously, NO ONE in their right mind would pay $130 for a shirt from his website. The website looks like a 5-year-old made it; you can't even see cloth selections, much less any other options. Where are the pictures and descriptions of the 500 shirting's available? I'm not trying to be an ass, but no self respecting business person could accept that website as a perfect good launching pad for a new business venture. Given a good week and a few hours per day and he could come up with a much better website using MS FrontPage (or some other simple web program).

Jon.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I don't know whether to laugh till I piss my pants or cry.

Jon.

I feel like I dont know either but Im laughing
I think I should be crying also

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are nitpicking with the website. Isnt Jantzen nearly as bad?

Basically, the problem is the product. If the product kicked ass we wouldnt care how socially inept the guy was, or how bad his site looked. Anyone seen AAAC lately?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I think at least one of the two has to be good. The product sucks and he has it patented. Hes spent more then 20k on the product. I dont think he would like to throw it away and start over. So maybe he should try to focus on the website. If that doesnt work then nothing will because the product just plain sucks.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I think you guys are nitpicking with the website. Isnt Jantzen nearly as bad?

Basically, the problem is the product. If the product kicked ass we wouldnt care how socially inept the guy was, or how bad his site looked. Anyone seen AAAC lately?

fair point. I mean, lots of us buy from Plal and Yoox, which are far from user friendly. Why do we go there? Good stuff at great prices... E Glennie has ludicrously awful **** at top-shelf prices.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
E Glennie has ludicrously awful **** at top-shelf prices.
ROFL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics