• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

ethandesu

Reaction score
L9996380.jpg
Not my shoes, but I've spent some time polishing them so thought t worth posting the pics. desu

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sideofatank-1.jpg

insideofatank.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Ummm.....I think I like?

Prince

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethandesu
L9996380.jpg

Not my shoes, but I've spent some time polishing them so thought t worth posting the pics.

desu

Really nice. I'm quite a shoe polishing fanatic myself. Can you do a vid or a write-up of your technique?

jamaican

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
sideofatank-1.jpg

insideofatank.jpg

The leather looks nice and they look well put together, but I am not feeling these at all. Hope you enjoy them though. J

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heels in a lot of these bespoke shoes look very substantial and tall- is the high angle of your feet uncomfortable? Seems like you'd feel like you're always walking downhill, though maybe there's more to the ergonomics/physics of human feet in shoes than i'm aware of. Not saying they don't look great though btw

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This brings me to the question: Why do shoes have heels to begin with? Is it just because they make us taller, legs thinner, look better, or is there some sort of physiological benefit?

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This brings me to the question: Why do shoes have heels to begin with? Is it just because they make us taller, legs thinner, look better, or is there some sort of physiological benefit?

Seemingly since the 1500's its been to hold the rider's foot in stirrups. Its even been recorded as early as the 9th Century heels on shoes on horse riding warriors.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^But a lot of modern hiking boots, which are presumedly purely functional, have separate, taller heels than the rest of the sole. I think it must be ergonomically advantageous somehow for walking to have the foot angled down in a shoe.

ElDave

Reaction score

^But a lot of modern hiking boots, which are presumedly purely functional, have separate, taller heels than the rest of the sole. I think it must be ergonomically advantageous somehow for walking to have the foot angled down in a shoe.

It's because that's what we've accepted as normal for footwear. Sort of like how short hair is now considered normal for men - it had a purpose long ago, but serves no real purpose today.

From an ergonomic standpoint, heels are often not advisable. They can exacerbate certain leg issues. I personally have to make sure I only purchase shoes with modest heels as higher ones due to compartment syndrome. I still have flare ups if I find myself having to walk more than expected in a non-athletic shoe.

With that said, if you have healthy legs and do not intend to be particularly active in your shoes, wear whatever you think looks best.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An old friend of mine had the tendency to "bounce" when he would walk. Like he was always on his tippy toes, he claimed that it had to do with wearing improper shoes and it made his Achilles tendon short so he felt pain when his feet were flat. I called bullshit and said that he is just making excuses for walking funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads