• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sideofatank-1.jpg

insideofatank.jpg
WOW! Bespoke Norvegese Russian Calf. Talk about one-of-a-kind! That braided side stitch just sets them off. Who is the maker?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This brings me to the question: Why do shoes have heels to begin with? Is it just because they make us taller, legs thinner, look better, or is there some sort of physiological benefit?

Seemingly since the 1500's its been to hold the rider's foot in stirrups. Its even been recorded as early as the 9th Century heels on shoes on horse riding warriors.
Ask any bona fide shoe historian...such as Dame June Swann, former curator of the shoe collection at the Northampton Museum and you will be told in no uncertain terms that there is no evidence...zero...for heels as we know them on shoes or boots prior to the last quarter of the 16th century. "If there is no evidence, it didn't happen." BTW, there is very little evidence that suggest that heels evolved to meet the need of horsemen...although this is certainly an attractive hypothesis and one I myself held for many years.Regardless of all the practical reasons that have been proposed...keeping the foot out of the mud, etc....heels made people taller--it was a fashion that never went out of fashion.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's because that's what we've accepted as normal for footwear. Sort of like how short hair is now considered normal for men - it had a purpose long ago, but serves no real purpose today.

From an ergonomic standpoint, heels are often not advisable. They can exacerbate certain leg issues. I personally have to make sure I only purchase shoes with modest heels as higher ones due to compartment syndrome. I still have flare ups if I find myself having to walk more than expected in a non-athletic shoe.

With that said, if you have healthy legs and do not intend to be particularly active in your shoes, wear whatever you think looks best.

I don't doubt that individuals with unique problems can find heels exacerbate those problems. But I have spoken to podiatrists and lastmakers and shoemakers about this very issue and any heel that is reasonable--under inch and a half in height---will not cause the normal foot or legs any problem. In fact higher heels can reduce the strain on the lower back and calves. People who wear cowboy boots or logger boots often experience more pain in the lower back and legs when they switch to romeos or moccasins on the weekend.

And heels in the one inch or lower range are near-as-nevermind inconsequential with regard to the effect they have on the foot or the legs or the spinal column.

xzacx

Reaction score

In fact higher heels can reduce the strain on the lower back and calves. People who wear cowboy boots or logger boots often experience more pain in the lower back and legs when they switch to romeos or moccasins on the weekend.

I'd guess it has more to do with what they are used to, than the higher heels actually helping. The orthotics I play basketball in have very small lifts, and if I ever don't play in them, I end up with a sore back the next day. When I first started playing in them, the opposite happened - my back was sore when I did use them. From my experience, that minor change in posture is all it takes, and once I'm used to one way or the other, that's what feels right.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I think she's wrong.

I do hate the...because there's no evidence, it must be so...argument. The correct answer is that we should keep an 'open mind' when it comes to such things, and wait for the evidence to turn up. Problem is that academics make careers out of there being no evidence, and their credibility depends on it. It breeds an arrogant attitude.

http://blog.aurorahistoryboutique.com/tag/medieval-history/

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score

Ask any bona fide shoe historian...such as Dame June Swann, former curator of the shoe collection at the Northampton Museum and you will be told in no uncertain terms that there is no evidence...zero...for heels as we know them on shoes or boots prior to the last quarter of the 16th century. "If there is no evidence, it didn't happen."

BTW, there is very little evidence that suggest that heels evolved to meet the need of horsemen...although this is certainly an attractive hypothesis and one I myself held for many years.Regardless of all the practical reasons that have been proposed...keeping the foot out of the mud, etc....heels made people taller--it was a fashion that never went out of fashion.

Forgot the quote.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score

Ask any bona fide shoe historian...such as Dame June Swann, former curator of the shoe collection at the Northampton Museum and you will be told in no uncertain terms that there is no evidence...zero...for heels as we know them on shoes or boots prior to the last quarter of the 16th century. "If there is no evidence, it didn't happen."

BTW, there is very little evidence that suggest that heels evolved to meet the need of horsemen...although this is certainly an attractive hypothesis and one I myself held for many years.Regardless of all the practical reasons that have been proposed...keeping the foot out of the mud, etc....heels made people taller--it was a fashion that never went out of fashion.

Didn't take long did it?

I remember this painting. Fat guy in white, bottom left. He's wearing boots with heels.

[ATTACHMENT=93]Bruegel, Pieter Senior. Feast of Fools 1561.jpg (488k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads