• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips
Agree with this - though one reason I would give to explain is that there isn't a comparable substitute for the ipad, especially at a lower price, while most think $100 dress shoes do the trick just as well as the $500 kind.

No one needs an iPad, while most people -- save the stinky and the swami -- need shoes.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much do male prostitutes make anyway? The cheap jokes always make me wonder.

ajhops

Reaction score
Interesting. 61 replies and almost zero serious answers. I think OP touched on a sensitive subject.

I reject the notion that this is an "unanswerable" question. This entire forum is based on opinion, judgement, evaluation etc. Thousands of so called unanswerable questions have been tackled here about cuffs, lapels, and bla bla ad infinitum.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajhops
Interesting. 61 replies and almost zero serious answers. I think OP touched on a sensitive subject. I reject the notion that this is an "unanswerable" question. This entire forum is based on opinion, judgement, evaluation etc. Thousands of so called unanswerable questions have been tackled here about cuffs, lapels, and bla bla ad infinitum.
There are plenty of serious answers. Here's my answer. This is as serious as I'm going to get here. Here are all to buy or not to buy luxury items: - I like spending money - Status - I like a lot and it will give me joy to buy it and use it - I don't have enough money to afford it - I think it's a waste of money - religious/spiritual/moral purposes It's a very subjective question and everyone who purchases or doesn't purchase expensive items will have their own reasons. Everyone will have their own reason. Many members on here I presume don't think too much about the cost because they like the item a lot and it brings them joy to wear it and own it. Besides, everyone makes over 250k a year here, rite?

East2West

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
How much do male prostitutes make anyway? The cheap jokes always make me wonder.

Lasbar told me once that he makes between $120-$160/hr US for an incall and $200-$250/hr US for an outcall. So I guess it depends on your level of commitment and how many clients you can get and because of that average take-home probably varies quite a bit. PM him for more info.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
great thread
eh.gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by francoamerican
Exactly. As many different answers as there are people, therefore not quantifiable. Not to be too harsh, but I don't find it that interesting, because it's something I think is obvious.

I agree that many people think that $500 is some sort of wild indulgence. However, if you have to wear dress shoes to work anyway, $500 on shoes probably is a better use of funds than saying buying a $500 ipad.

FA

good point. I wouldn't pay $500 for an ipad when I already have a MacBook pro. I would however, spend another $500 for my 10th pair of Cordovan shoes. I would consider that to be a great value

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
How about MTO'ing shell cordovan condoms? The patina would become fantastic with repeated use.

- B

sig worthy stuff right hurr

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads