1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jun 9, 2011.

1. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

After being fed up with the construction quality of Alden, I began buying only RTW and MTO EG, G&G and JL.

My income is not sufficient enough to allow purchasing low quality goods.

2. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

But in the end, it's a level of awareness which makes $200.00 shoes seem far more un-"affordable" than $500.00 shoes.

Really interesting post overall: I think you and I are on the same wavelength.

3. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

See you at McDonald's.

[​IMG]

4. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

i get what the op was trying to get at, just think that there is no possible answer

if my disposable income a year is 10,000 but i vacation with a family of 4 every year i probably wont be buying 500$ shoes, but if its 10,000 and im single with a one bedroom and like buying shoes then id probably grab a bunch of pairs at 500. ever seen the guys that collect air jordans? most pay top dollar for them because its a hobby so they "save" for that specefically, net worth has nothing to do with it

5. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Many times you can buy $500 shoes for less than $100. Anyway, the question is total bullsh*t[​IMG]

6. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

For young people, income is certainly the reasonable driver, not net worth, especially if you are buying a business wardrobe.

If you are young and just landed 200k job that's going to rise to 500k, and you need an instant wardrobe, I wouldn't necessarily think dropping 5k on shoes/clothes would be unreasonable even if you had negative net worth (go student loans!)

I also think a pair of $500 shoes is more reasonable then an ipad. I'm still wearing shoes I bought 10 years ago, I'm not using many electronic devices that are over 36 months old.

7. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

For young people, income is certainly the reasonable driver, not net worth, especially if you are buying a business wardrobe.

If you are young and just landed 200k job that's going to rise to 500k, and you need an instant wardrobe, I wouldn't necessarily think dropping 5k on shoes/clothes would be unreasonable even if you had negative net worth (go student loans!)

I also think a pair of $500 shoes is more reasonable then an ipad. I'm still wearing shoes I bought 10 years ago, I'm not using many electronic devices that are over 36 months old.

100% agree with this. especially the ipad part, people dont think of electronics as investments because they obviously will be obsolete shortly after, but a good pair of shoes that last, well then i wouldnt really look at it as "expensive" at 500, when what you get out of them will be worth every penny

8. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

and yet, I have the sense and sensibility to recognize quality--.
    And the ability to drop Jane Austen references. [​IMG]

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Net worth before you can "afford" to wear a freshly cleaned shirt every day so that you don't have to go this route? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

And the ability to drop Jane Austen references. [​IMG]
    Not so much Jane Austen as a fair vocabulary, a determination to speak and write with some degree of literacy...and a working concept of "sensibility"--a word I use frequently and with "malice aforethought."

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

For the record, I ate at McDonald's today. No one seemed to notice my shoes.

12. DWFII

Not so much Jane Austen as a fair vocabulary, a determination (in a world of sound-bite attention spans and 140 character Twit limits) to speak and write with some degree of literacy...and a working concept of "sensibility"--a word I use frequently and with "malice aforethought."
    FTFM

13. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

^^^
    Those words are unfortunately undermined by the grammatically incorrect full stop.

14. DWFII

For the record, I ate at McDonald's today. No one seemed to notice my shoes.
    Are you surprised? Hurt? Secretly gratified?

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you surprised? Hurt? Secretly gratified?

Delighted by the new sweet chili McNugget sauce.

16. DWFII

^^^ Those words are unfortunately undermined by the grammatically incorrect full stop.
    Well I did say "some degree". I am a shoemaker not an English professor. I am not even all that well read...I've never read Jane Austen, for instance. So please detail my mistake so that I may avoid repeating it.

17. DWFII

Delighted by the new sweet chili McNugget sauce.
    [Smack, Smack] That sounds like dinner.

18. DWFII

^^^ Those words are unfortunately undermined by the grammatically incorrect full stop.
    Oh! I get it...the period after the "aforethought". I have never gotten that straight in my head...until now. Thanks.

19. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

People who have these kind of standards for inanimate objects are merely trying to stroke their own ego.

It's just shoes man. If you like it and can afford it, you buy it. It's pretty damn simple.

To guys, $500 for shoes might appear to be a lot of money but for a chick, that's a shitty handbag.

20. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

It's not that much for a pair of shoes, let's be reasonable we're on the styleforum here not the hardware forum or something ridiculous like that.

I think income is a better indicator of whether or not you can "afford" $500 shoes than the OP makes it out to be. Income reflects somewhat whether or not $500 shoes will pay you back some as an asset, since a 40K job isn't likely to be one where a $500 loafer would fit well while anything even over $80K I'd say it's a good deal and not something that should affect you financially.

If affording a $500 shoe is even a question, then you're probably not managing your finances correctly tbh.

1 person likes this.