1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

How long you think before this becomes a pissing contest? Or, am I too late?

Did someone say pissing contest?...

A: When you can run full stride in them, without worrying about ruining their pristine soles, like so:

[​IMG]

2. artoftime

artoftime Senior member

I'd like to hear Aportonoy chime in here

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

100k LNW is absurd

Not at all. If anything, it's probably on the low side.
    I'd bet almost everyone I know > $100k liquid net worth would never spend $500 on shoes.
    If their net worth were exponentially higher, they might reconsider.

Personally, in my early days, there was no way I'd have dropped $500 on shoes with only $100k in the bank.
    I waited much longer after that, but that is also a function of age and interest level.
    Back then, I simply didn't give a shit about shoes, so I didn't spend much on them.
    Makes me wonder if I had gotten bitten by the SF bug all those years ago, if I'd have splurged.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

A friend of mine answered the poll via email.
    His answer: $100,000

+1 Nice round number to feel like you can spend some of it.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

1-star threak! Reev delivers again!

6. newinny

newinny Senior member

7. scientific

scientific Senior member

Not at all. If anything, it's probably on the low side.
    I'd bet almost everyone I know > $100k liquid net worth would never spend $500 on shoes.

having money != having good taste
    50c/day is less than most people's soda budget.

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Why? This could lead to an interesting discussion. As a male prostitue, I'd much more readily invest in quality slim fit pants, than expensive shoes.

But the pants come off and the shoes can stay on. So from a value for money point of view you should be looking at shoes.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

All depends on what a person can afford doesn't it? If buying the $500(USD) shoes means one's family is going to go hungry, or put one behind on HP or rent, or the electricity gets cut off, buying 500 buck shoes is probably not such a great idea. But then I've known people in the UK buy huge expensive plasma TVs on the never-never, and they yet can barely afford to feed and clothe their children, and are behind on the rent. Myself, I could afford to buy $500 shoes, if they where available, and not have to go without essentials. But I don't think they're worth it and are a unnecessary luxury. I think $30-$50 shoes can do the same job, and no one's going to really notice anyway. BTW I've actually received complements on a pair of oxfords I bought at the local market for 90RMB, that's like $15.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

11. Stewbone

Stewbone Senior member

I personally have a low net income but I tend to buy my aldens by saving (+-)$100 a month. During this period of 3-6 months of saving I have plenty of time to find great deals on slightly used pairs to help save even more.

12. Barnabus

Barnabus Senior member

I personally have a low net income but I tend to buy my aldens by saving (+-)$100 a month. .

Pretty much this for me too. It can vary depending on whether the person is saving up for it or not

If i cant find an steal on ebay i just save up my cookies

Its not a sensitive subject for me, Besides i'm young and good looking so
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. facet

facet Senior member

[​IMG] One meelleeun dollars.

14. crinklecut

crinklecut Senior member

You know, Reevolving, you're kinda like one of the aliens from 3rd Rock, unsure of yourself and always trying to figure out what's technically correct or socially acceptable or whatever. I wonder where you are on the autism spectrum.

15. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

If I want to buy something, and I have enough money for it, then I buy it. No further calculations needed. This applies to everything, not just shoes.

16. Doug11

Doug11 Well-Known Member

I could buy over 30 sets of these shoes each month out of my take home pay - but I choose not to.

I scour thrift shops, online sales and only buy when I get a good deal.

Last 2 suits I bought 2nd hand off Ebay for about 10% of thier original price.

17. Patek

Patek Senior member

I could buy over 30 sets of these shoes each month out of my take home pay - but I choose not to. I scour thrift shops, online sales and only buy when I get a good deal. Last 2 suits I bought 2nd hand off Ebay for about 10% of thier original price.
    What is wrong with you? You take home $15k and you buy your clothes at thrift shops? You must have a problem.

18. Galix

Galix Senior member

As a young person building up his wardrobe with quality clothes, I understand your concern.
    So for me the limit is marked by: A. Percentage of net income (after taxes) and B. How much FCF you have.
    For instance, I set every month a budget, which in my case goes: 33% rent + food + other essential things; 33% savings and 33% free cash I can spend in whatever I want, 99% of which goes to clothes.
    That means that, for instance, if I want to buy expensive shoes (let's say some Carmina cordovan boots), I'm very likely to plan and save every month a quantity of my FCF and buy them. Or, buy them directly knowing I won't be buying more stuff that month.
    So, where's the limit? Basically in the 33%. I take it seriously and so far haven't fallen into temptation to spend over that. And another gold rule for me: NEVER ever, under any circumstance, buy on credit.

19. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Think as an investment.

20. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Interesting. 61 replies and almost zero serious answers. I think OP touched on a sensitive subject.

I reject the notion that this is an "unanswerable" question. This entire forum is based on opinion, judgement, evaluation etc. Thousands of so called unanswerable questions have been tackled here about cuffs, lapels, and bla bla ad infinitum.

People are happy to talk about the subjective question of taste in clothing. They are much less happy to talk about highly personal questions of financial standing and spending priorities, which are essential to give any kind of meaningful answer to this question. The question can be answered, but it's just not the kind of thing people have any interest in discussing in this venue.