• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

we get it, many shoes, even with high end labels, are assembled like total dogshit in your opinion. There is a difference between understanding the benefit of something and appreciating it. I

You've blown this all out of proportion particularly in your own mind. Presumably because you don't wish to see that the mundane is all around us--that's almost the definition of "mundane."

But if you aspire to something better...something more on the order of "Style" (as in StyleForum)... or if you post your opinions to StyleForum (or something like it), you need to recognize, and base those opinions on something more than the mundane. You need to recognize that what makes any endeavor or object transcend the mundane is the little things--the details.

And not one detail but the confluence of many details.

I have indeed said this before but you've apparently chosen to ignore it...it's not that "high end labels" are "dogshit," it's just that they wouldn't care if it was dogshit as long as there are people willing to to buy it.

Many high-end shoes are made with expedient and even inferior techniques and materials that suffer mostly, and particularly, in comparison to shoes made with Traditional, intelligent, time consuming, and skill-required, techniques. Stand alone, who-gives-a- crap, they're probably fine. And just as importantly, they're what's on the table.

It's a matter of comparisons...and as in my sig, hierarchy as well...somethings are better, and objectively better than other things... you just need to open your eyes.

But for many, the question remains...and it's so deliciously ironic in this venue...what's it to be...style or substance?

Last edited:

vivianf

Reaction score
im 15 this is funny as hell, why the hell you need be rich and have high net worth to afford 500ÂŁ shoes. lol all you need ÂŁ500 and you got the shoes so you dont need a net worth lmao. i got couple of shoes worth more than 500ÂŁ. you guys worrying about net worth lol

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Not everybody lives with their parents and is exempt from paying expenses, taxes, and other things many adults have to deal with like majority of 15 year olds are. I don't know if net worth was the right way for this guy to put it but clearly if your parents buy you 500 dollar shoes or if you save up 500 dollars since you have no taxes or expenses to pay otherwise...its a lot easier.

Badandy

Reaction score

im 15 this is funny as hell, why the hell you need be rich and have high net worth to afford 500ÂŁ shoes. lol all you need ÂŁ500 and you got the shoes so you dont need a net worth lmao. i got couple of shoes worth more than 500ÂŁ. you guys worrying about net worth lol

Troll.

papa kot

Reaction score
If you have to ask, then you cannot afford it.

On a different note, $500 for shoes is not that much even for somebody who just started a job out of college. I see quite a few folks buying new cars that will depreciate pretty fast, especially during the first year. So instead of buying a new car, you can get a slightly used one and then pay for the shoes. It is all about preferences. (And seeing what Americans buy these days makes a $500 pair of shoes not a bad choice at all.)

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an executive summary of this thread? I don't have time to read it because i'm too busy working to pay off enough of my maxed out credit card to afford a new pair of RL Marlow's. Want to know if I'm industrious or a spendthrift.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have to ask, then you cannot afford it.

On a different note, $500 for shoes is not that much even for somebody who just started a job out of college.  I see quite a few folks buying new cars that will depreciate pretty fast, especially during the first year.  So instead of buying a new car, you can get a slightly used one and then pay for the shoes.  It is all about preferences.  (And seeing what Americans buy these days makes a $500 pair of shoes not a bad choice at all.)

of course, there are any number of things that young people spend money on that could be used for ritzy shoes. For instance, for the average 22 year old in NYC, maybe 2 weekends of making your own dinner and sharing a case of coors light with a few friends instead of going out would probably save you $500.

That said, I don't think many young people want or need $500 shoes. They'd rather use that money for booze, food, entertainment, whatever. Nobody at their job expects $500 shoes from them and they'd likely destroy them during a night out or by not taking proper care.

This young guy at my office got a pair of canali shoes for xmas...probably retail for $1,200....wears them everyday, never seen a shoe tree or a fingertip full of polish. I give it maybe 9 months.

recondite

Reaction score

Stole my answer. If you have 500, then you are good to go..That another 5 will get you the shoes and a really good cup of coffee and enough change so you can't be charged with vagrancy.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anybody else think this might just be a Reevolving sock, bumping his own thread?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Anybody else think this might just be a Reevolving sock, bumping his own thread?

I don't think Reevolving has the brains to be able to type a ÂŁ symbol.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Oh my goodness Zippy
rotflmao.gif

Varmant

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
At retail, my toes are easily worth $50 each, regardless of my income.
At 10 wearings the cost per toe is $5. At 100 wearings, 50 cents per toe.
Cheap at twice the price.

Last edited:

tjcamp2

Reaction score
I didn't read this whole thread, so if someone has already stated this clearly then ignore my post.

How much you spend on shoes has nothing to do with your net worth. Absolutely zero. How much one spends on shoes is a reflection on how one values shoes relative to other goods. A person could spend $500 (or $5,000) on shoes and eat $.15 packages of ramen noodles every night. Conversely, a person could eat filet mignon every night and consider spending more than $100 on a pair of shoes a waste of money.

This is the basis (and beauty) of economics. People have limited resources, and how they allocate those resources is entirely up to them. This is actually why $500 shoes exist. To some people, a pair of shoes may be worth more to them than the $500. To others, having the $500 would be worth more. The market provides choices for both crowds.

To try to answer the OP's question, consider the net worth you'd need to buy a $1 pair of shoes. Now multiply by 500.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads