1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Net worth before you can "afford" $500 shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jun 9, 2011.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Is this a question of buying a single pair of $500+ shoes that you will consider the crown jewel in your wardrobe? Or is this a question of creating a rotation of $500+ shoes?

Honestly if you have a passion for it almost anyone can save up enough to buy a single pair of $500 shoes. However, you will more likely than need a steady and sizable salary to buy a new pair of $500+ shoes every couple of months and consider that your norm.

As a new college grad (and drawing an according salary) I generally hesitate to spend that much on shoes. However, if I saw some that struck my fancy to that extent I would suck it up, take out my wallet and walk around with a shit eating grin each time I put them on my feet.

Also, might I ask who you know that will A. know that you spent $500+ on a pair of shoes and B. judge you for not having enough money to make the purchase at the same time?

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Is this a question of buying a single pair of $500+ shoes that you will consider the crown jewel in your wardrobe? Or is this a question of creating a rotation of $500+ shoes?

A single pair of $500 shoes.

Also, might I ask who you know that will A. know that you spent $500+ on a pair of shoes and B. judge you for not having enough money to make the purchase at the same time

A) The topic indirectly arose in another thread on SF.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Another vote for "this is a meaningless question." If income > expenses + savings goals + other discretionary spending + $500 for shoes, then you have enough money for them. Your net worth is like the integral factor of that equation over time, sort of useless for deciding if you can "afford" them or not. Perhaps your savings goals would be higher when you had a lower net worth, but still a dumb question.

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Since when is a pair of $500 shoe consider the benchmark around here? [​IMG]

I think it's a good benchmark for that "next next level"
    Where someone might react "Holy fuck, are you kidding? For SHOES? Are they gold plated?"

1) $75-$100 (A typical man's nice shoes)
    2) $250 (AE, etc. Most men never arrive at this)
    3) $500 (Getting "very serious" about shoes. He reads about this shit. I doubt even 1% of men ever spend this much)
    4) $1000 (At this point, shoes are part of your core identity and reason for being)

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Reevolving, you can't afford $500 shoes.

You will know when your time is right when you don't have to ask our permission. This applies both financially and spiritually.

7. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Is the man in a legal industry, paying taxes on assets or income, or is he in the underground economy, like oh, male prostitute or laundering money through a sports bar?

[​IMG]

- B

I had this cyber cafÃ[​IMG] with 3 desktops, turnover always was around 130.000.000€ p/a.

8. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Another vote for "this is a meaningless question." If income > expenses + savings goals + other discretionary spending + $500 for shoes, then you have enough money for them. Your net worth is like the integral factor of that equation over time, sort of useless for deciding if you can "afford" them or not. Perhaps your savings goals would be higher when you had a lower net worth, but still a dumb question.

That's entirely the point. It reflects YOUR savings goals and preferences.

For example, if a guy had, say, $1000 in the bank,
    would you think it's reasonable for him to buy $500 shoes?

Some people would say that's absolutely mad.
    Others would see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So, the question again, at what number would you think a guy is mad for spending $500 on shoes.
    Again, $501 is a perfectly valid answer, and it reflects volumes. Just understand, that is not the only answer people will give.

9. changy

changy Senior member

What's your shoe value to networth ratio?

10. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Reevolving, you can't afford $500 shoes. .

Clearly, you didn't read the other thread.

11. acecow

acecow Senior member

How about MTO'ing shell cordovan condoms? The patina would become fantastic with repeated use.

- B

Great idea, as always. Experienced male prostitutes could use the dark brown tan, while newcomers, unloosened as they are, would opt for the burgundy version to better patinate the condoms with their bodily fluids.

12. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

The complete answer to this thread: If you don't care about shoes, you won't buy $500+ no matter what you're worth. If you have some minor interest in shoes for whatever reason, you may find yourself buying $500+ shoes when it becomes a sufficiently low % of your liquid worth. If you have a considerable interest in high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ shoes even if that's a large % of your liquid worth. If you have an obsession with high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ as soon as you have $500 to spend. FIN

13. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

The complete answer to this thread: If you don't care about shoes, you won't buy $500+ no matter what you're worth. If you have some minor interest in shoes for whatever reason, you may find yourself buying $500+ shoes when it becomes a sufficiently low % of your liquid worth. If you have a considerable interest in high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ shoes even if that's a large % of your liquid worth. If you have an obsession with high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ as soon as you have $500 to spend.
    Yes, above is all very obvious, but that was not the original question. In your opinion, what should a guy's liquid net worth be before he can "afford" $500 shoes? (Your answer is a number) Conversely, below what level would your natural reaction to his $500 shoes be: What a jackass!

14. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Yes, above is all very obvious, but that was not the original question. In your opinion, what should a guy's liquid net worth be before he can "afford" $500 shoes? (Your answer is a number) Conversely, below what level would your natural reaction to his $500 shoes be: What a jackass!
    Well quite simply, my answer (and everyone else's answer) would depend on which category I fit in out of the four general categories listed above. How are you not seeing that?

15. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

What's your shoe value to networth ratio?
    Yes, another way of wording it. Some will say 1:1 (Most replies so far?) Others will say 2000:1 before they are comfortable with that sort of expenditure (So far, these people seem underrepresented on a clothing forum)

16. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues Senior member

There is no relation between "net worth" and a pair of $500 shoes. If the shoes are going to make you more presentable before clients then they in the long run will be an asset. If the shoes are going to make you presentable before chicks then they are an asset. If you have to ask this question perhaps it is time to go off on you own and reach deep down inside and make a decision to buy the shoes.

17. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Well quite simply, my answer (and everyone else's answer) would depend on which category I fit in out of the four general categories listed above.
    How are you not seeing that?

Yes, he gets it.
    Now, if he would only answer the question.

18. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

There is no relation between "net worth" and a pair of $500 shoes. If the shoes are going to make you more presentable before clients then they in the long run will be an asset. If the shoes are going to make you presentable before chicks then they are an asset. .

Sure there is.

Say someone had $500 saved, and bought $500 shoes, would you think he's an idiot, or would you think that's perfectly fine?

If you answered "fine", then the discussion is over for you.
    However, if you said "idiot", then what is the number where you cross from "idiot" to "fine".

There is a number, and it's different for everyone.
    This number will say a lot about about your financial mindset.

Not rocket science.

19. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

20. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

The complete answer to this thread:

If you have an obsession with high quality shoes, you will buy $500+ as soon as you have $500 to spend.

FIN

Have you been opening my bank statements? [​IMG]

The OP's question is strange.
    'Afford' is a measure of disposable income.
    Once necessities are covered, any disposable money can be spent on whatever you like.
    That's why it's disposable.

In that case the correct answer to the question is:

A man can afford to spend $500 on shoes as soon as he has $500 in disposable income.

Beyond that what we are talking about is a matter of priorities:
    "I have paid all my bills and have $500 left, will I spend it on shoes or on a weekend to Berlin?"

It depends on what you prefer at that precise moment in time.