• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama's Visit to the UK - fit critique!

nelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diavolo
You need to look at the present, not the past.
That is an absurd notion. After WWI and WWII, Germany paid reparations (or was forced to) for their wrongdoings. America has acknowledged slavery + Native American discrimination and enacted non-reparation social policies for those affected. The UK as far as I can tell does nothing to address their imperialistic past and all the meanwhile, Queen Elizabeth is wearing tiaras with conflict diamonds and living in a palace with walls covered in gold foil that was illegally mined. WTF?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
The UK as far as I can tell does nothing to address their imperialistic past and all the meanwhile, Queen Elizabeth is wearing tiaras with conflict diamonds and living in a palace with walls covered in gold foil that was illegally mined. WTF?
As opposed to US politicians living in houses built by slaves? On land taken from american Indians? If you think we made reparation that are comparable to what we took is naive. At least UK gave their colonies independence and self-determination. We just give then puppet governments and military bases for their protection. I don't think using U.S. As counter point to UK is a good way to demonstrate any weakness to UK social policy.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can only live in this time. You can only compare/argue about what is going on now, of course, history is interesting (in terms of dialogue), but you can't get heated about it. It's in the past. I am British, and there are so many things I hate about England! For one, we hardly export anything any more. We also spend money on stupid things (Millennium Dome, anyone?), the government *****, and moan, and take money from the public to fund their stupid ideas/bail out the banks. It's gets me heated just thinking about it. What you gonna do? I could ***** about the U.S. all day, too. For one, I lived in Japan for a year, and I am totally against their bases there (one because of all the rapes and two because there's no logical reason for their presence). Obama is, and always said he was, a centrist. He tried to push the health reform which Americans (really, irritatingly, laughed out. Oh well, you miss out) shrugged off. Apart from that, he hasn't done much. I would almost stretch to call him lazy! Plus, he was voted in because of his race. I am not being racist (and I am not racist), but he is a left-wing, liberals wet-dream! Not to mention the black voters!
wink.gif
'Change'—yeah, right! *rolls eyes

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at that picture, a mixture of the two trouser lengths would be optimum, imo. Obama's are still too long, and double breaking, but the Philips are (even, very slightly) too short, for me!

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
There is a stark contrast between Obama who is self-made (not a time for a discussion on Affirmative Action) and a group of people who haven't worked.

Five years of active war service in the Royal Navy, including being mentioned in dispatches, is not work?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Has this been commented upon? Lapels?

article-1390986-0C44C3C900000578-410_634x477.jpg

Two button and flap pockets are more of an offense. Notch lapels have always been an option on the tuxedo, the prohibition against them these days results from the association with cheap and ugly jackets made from suit patterns to save money. Which, even though I'm sure it's made by a quality maker (presuming the same HSM one he's had and wore to inaugural balls and nobel ceremony), is what Obama's jacket seems to be modeled after.

Notice Phillip's, which is notch as well, but gets all the details right that Obama gets wrong.

Oh, and the trousers.
baldy[1].gif

Michelle's dress, on the other hand, looks great.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diavolo
Obama, meanwhile, has distinguished himself by appointing as key advisers several of those directly responsible for the GFC, and has done nothing to address America's $14 trillion national debt.

This last is silly.

On the other hand, your points about the British Monarchy are reasonable.

I was just reading about the Queen's visit to Ireland- Olivia O'Leary's speech in fact. O'Leary caught the mythological and symbolic overtones correctly, smartly, and profoundly.

It seems to me that anyone who wants to talk about ending the Monarchy while THIS Queen is alive is mad. She is one of the three great queens of England in a thousand years. Enjoy her while she is here.

stars_79.jpg

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah Style Forum, a place where law students critique how custom suits fit via pictures on the internet. I don't get why we have these threads discussing people's "fits" that have no connection to the forum. It's completely pointless and only puts ideas and terms into people that don't know much about clothes' heads' that make them question salesmen and tailors and look like idiots.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Listen, all I'm saying is that it is extremely unlikely that the President of the United States of America (someone who's every word, gesture and facial expression is scrutinized) doesn't have a tailor who knows what they're doing. It's far more likely that his image control team has decided this is the appropriate look for his administration/campaign.

Obama's not trying to be a JFK style icon banging Marilyn Monroe in the back room.

Obama and WH probably do have someone who do alterations and fits for him.
I dont think its a deliberate aim of his ICT (image control team) to make him look bad.
But its probably the tailor being an old fogey who does not see a need for Obama to look chic and hip.

For Michelle, its a different thing you would note.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
I would just like to point out that it is now President O'Bama, after discovering his Irish roots. Proceed.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
I would just like to point out that it is now President O'Bama, after discovering his Irish roots. Proceed.

Nah. Its President I just whipped Osama's candy ass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads