1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Obama's Visit to the UK - fit critique!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lincolnshirepaul, May 25, 2011.

1. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Fascinating monarchy-related photos, Anthony. Thanks. Is that a shawl-collared dress coat on the gent with the spectacles, turn-down collar, and under-the-collar bow tie (I forget what that's called)? The coat of the goateed gent with the wide-scoop U-neck waistcoat seems to have the half-facings usually seen on frock coats. The cut-in of his coat, if a dress coat, seems to have a curve. Could it actually be a frock coat, with the lower left front pulled up?

2. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

Fascinating monarchy-related photos, Anthony. Thanks. Is that a shawl-collared dress coat on the gent with the spectacles, turn-down collar, and under-the-collar bow tie (I forget what that's called)? The coat of the goateed gent with the wide-scoop U-neck waistcoat seems to have the half-facings usually seen on frock coats. The cut-in of his coat, if a dress coat, seems to have a curve. Could it actually be a frock coat, with the lower left front pulled up?

You're very welcome. As to the possible shawl collar, unfortunately even under quite careful scrutiny I can't make out what shape it might be, although I am sure recourse to the original would help. Regarding the gentleman with the half-faced lapels, I think that I see the straightish, but angling upwards, cutaway of the left side of his coat just about level with the bottom of his waistcoat, which makes me think that he is indeed in an evening tailcoat, the lapels nothwithstanding.

More generally, I also note at least one pair of gauntlet cuffs, and also that many of the buttons on display appear to be of the flat headed variety faced with satin, presumably to agree with the lapels of the coat.

3. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

The coat of the goateed gent with the wide-scoop U-neck waistcoat seems to have the half-facings usually seen on frock coats. The cut-in of his coat, if a dress coat, seems to have a curve. Could it actually be a frock coat, with the lower left front pulled up?

I'm pretty sure it's not a frock coat as -- if I remember correctly -- it was considered incorrect to wear them with bow ties.

4. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

You're very welcome. As to the possible shawl collar, unfortunately even under quite careful scrutiny I can't make out what shape it might be, although I am sure recourse to the original would help. Regarding the gentleman with the half-faced lapels, I think that I see the straightish, but angling upwards, cutaway of the left side of his coat just about level with the bottom of his waistcoat, which makes me think that he is indeed in an evening tailcoat, the lapels nothwithstanding.

More generally, I also note at least one pair of gauntlet cuffs, and also that many of the buttons on display appear to be of the flat headed variety faced with satin, presumably to agree with the lapels of the coat.

Thank you for that comprehensive reply. My monitor is aging.

I'd missed the gauntlet cuffs. The photo raises a fascinating possibility for an ensemble. A dress suit in midnight blue with a shawl collar and facings in black grosgrain, worn with a turndown-collar shirt and midnight blue SB waistcoat. A sort of casual white tie ensemble! It would be an elegant way of resisting the fossilization of white tie. Perfect for opera galas, balls, and the like.

5. Leather man

Leather man Senior member

Kate looks great, wow

Way too thin in my opinion - she lost loads of weight in the six months before her wedding - she looked so hot before!

6. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Looks like a shawl collar with the outside edge unfaced. Kinda the reverse of what you see people often do with the satin edging.

7. Jdeansmith11

Jdeansmith11 Well-Known Member

Kate definitely looks the best out of everyone

8. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Well-Known Member

+1. She looks horrible. Even in the other white dress, she looks like a giant broom. This is the best that the Presidential family can do?

The posture of the Obamas in the first pic reminds me of the pose description I read from someone on here - the "zombie lunge". Love that one.

Looks like we've got to cede dress and poise to the Brits. I guess for ourselves we'll just have to be satisfied with bein' the best at blowin' shit up.

ccm