• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
So what you are saying is a man shouldn't bother wearing a SC or PS if it doesnt fit perfectly and isn't expertly matched? How about being dressed appropriate? That has no weight? Sometimes I feel ones effort regardless of the execution is worth a lot more than one just wearing a sweatshirt because it fits better or the color constrasts with the sweatpants better.

If you're going to wear a suit/tie/PS when unnecessary, you'd better do it well. Otherwise you'll look like a clown. The harder one tries without corresponding competence or talent, the more clownish.

It's nice to think effort matters, but life and aesthetics aren't like playing children's soccer.

Originally Posted by Manton
I think the Ambrosi/Napoli default style is flat front.

I think it is patently quite the opposite.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Even a Macy's black suit, satin-solid-tie-with-matching-PS is better than this.

This sentiment is what governs WAWRN. The results speak for themselves.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think it is patently quite the opposite.
Really? Neither Salvatore nor his father wear pleats and neither does Luigi. I had to ask for pleats. I got the impression from walking around that flat front was way more common.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really? Neither Salvatore nor his father wear pleats and neither does Luigi. I had to ask for pleats. I got the impression from walking around that flat front was way more common.

Are you sure about Salvatore and Antonio? In all the pictures I have of them, they're in reverse pleats. Maybe flat fronts are a trend right now.

But there are two sides to Naples' tailored clothing culture: the old, traditional school and the more fashion-oriented, self-aware type. During my visits, the latter always proved more visible. But it is also a changing animal. The former is what I'm talking about when I surmise that reverse pleats are standard. In other words, if you ask Solito or Ambrosi to use all classic Neapolitan details, without a word more, I can almost guarantee they will automatically do reverse pleats. Rubinacci won't even ask you for your opinion on the matter, though you can feel free to press the point.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
R will do reverse by default? Some of their customers who post here get flat.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
R will do reverse by default? Some of their customers who post here get flat.

I think Nay has single pleats, but they were by special request. Matt and I both have reverse pleats, unless I'm mistaken.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Matt's are flat.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is, the mass produced sweatshirt makes the tailored pants look cheap, so I wouldn't see the point. I'd suggest a nice knit if you'd want to go for this casual kind of look. But hey, if this combination made you feel good and comfortable then go for it, ofcourse.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Nay has single pleats, but they were by special request. Matt and I both have reverse pleats, unless I'm mistaken.
Mine are reverse and I didn't ask for that, nor did they ask my preference.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone else had posted that picture, would there even be a debate?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By this pic in the park, we are apparently getting a glimpse of what Foo considers a stylish rendition of "dressing down." Clearly, this is his steeze. I don't think it is horrible, myself. But I also don't think it is successful either in comparison to other casual looks. I think it is incongruous, because despite the more casual fabric of the pents, they are still dress/office pants, and pairing a sweatshirt with dress pants AND brogues is something I would do only if:

1. I dressed business casual on a Friday (or any day for that matter) for work (i.e., Ambrosi office pents, brogues, and dress shirt).
2. Went to happy hour and got obliterated.
3. Went to the home of a random hot chick and banged her multiple times.
4. Woke up with a serious hangover and in putting on my clothes, realized my dress shirt was essentially destroyed (buttons ripped, stained and still damp from spilled alcohol and possibly other bodily fluids).
5. Then I reached for Brown sweatshirt slung over a chair that happened to fit.
6. Snuck out of the chick's pad and went to the park for a picnic and photo session.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you all really saying that you never wear sweatshirts? If not, are you saying that when you do wear sweatshirts, you make a conscious choice not to pick from your 'good' pants?

It's exactly that sort of double life that I find tasteless. Good clothing should be worn, not merely displayed for pretension's sake. How much of what's posted on this forum is just costume?

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you understand the criticism here. I mean your pants look rather like dress pants then casual because they are cuffed. Wearing a sweatshirt with a huge logo just doesn't work with those. But like I said you seemed quite comfortable and even more relaxed then usual in that photo.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Are you all really saying that you never wear sweatshirts? If not, are you saying that when you do wear sweatshirts, you make a conscious choice not to pick from your 'good' pants?

It's exactly that sort of double life that I find tasteless. Good clothing should be worn, not merely displayed for pretension's sake. How much of what's posted on this forum is just costume?

Do not get.

The distance between the formality level of a sweatshirt and tailored gray flannels is large and too large to make the combo work. That's what people are saying. There is no double life at play here just a recommendation for the judicious mixing of like with like.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you saying that when you do wear sweatshirts, you make a conscious choice not to pick from your 'good' pants?

Yes. If I'm wearing a sweatshirt, I'm wearing them with jeans, chinos, etc, not pleated flannel pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads