• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL724

Reaction score
Can anyone recommended places in NYC that sell suit and sport coat fabrics besides Tip Top and Beckensteins, or will they have selections from the major producers?

Alternatively, are there any sellers that will ship fabric books if you give them a credit card number to hold for security and pay for shipping? Picking fabrics off a website would be more trouble than it's worth for me.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Great pattern matching on the breast pocket. CMT or is this one of Ercole's house fabrics?

Thanks, its CMT, got this off B&S.

Originally Posted by JL724
Can anyone recommended places in NYC that sell suit and sport coat fabrics besides Tip Top and Beckensteins, or will they have selections from the major producers?

Alternatively, are there any sellers that will ship fabric books if you give them a credit card number to hold for security and pay for shipping? Picking fabrics off a website would be more trouble than it's worth for me.

TipTop is really expanding. I was at Frank's this weekend and he had a new book from TipTop of English Super 130 Gabs, nice lightweight trousers. I'm prob gonna do the same colors I have in flannels, charcoal, mid grey, and a brown and make them my go to warmer weather pants. I asked if it was the same TipTop...yup. So they're now sourcing enough to put out books.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rob, the fabric is a bit too sedate for me, like it would get "lost". Anyway, you know I like me coats on the louder side.

This is the first fabric out of many that I have gotten in the last 6 months that has really spoken to me. For me, it's the perfect balance of colors for a darker coat (there is dark brown, red, purple, dark green) and it has a certain sedate loudness that I can't explain. It's cashmere but I am going to get it up made asap anyway. Colors don't like that good here but it's very nice, for my tastes.

photo-10.jpg

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
photo-10.jpg

Thats beautiful-the red makes it; I have something very similar for the fall. How are you going to do it? Mina I assume? I was thinking a very English cut, hacking plus ticket, with roped shoulders, but a light chest and shoulders for mine.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Thats beautiful-the red makes it; I have something very similar for the fall. How are you going to do it? Mina I assume? I was thinking a very English cut, hacking plus ticket, with roped shoulders, but a light chest and shoulders for mine.

only thing English I wear are my shoes
smile.gif

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rob, the fabric is a bit too sedate for me, like it would get "lost". Anyway, you know I like me coats on the louder side.

This is the first fabric out of many that I have gotten in the last 6 months that has really spoken to me. For me, it's the perfect balance of colors for a darker coat (there is dark brown, red, purple, dark green) and it has a certain sedate loudness that I can't explain. It's cashmere but I am going to get it up made asap anyway. Colors don't like that good here but it's very nice, for my tastes.

photo-10.jpg

dont like the brown in it, washes out the other colors.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

hacking is not good. avoid

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

photo-10.jpg

I like it.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I like it.

Me too, if the brown was a bit brighter it would basically be perfect. Just light enough so the design really popped. It's great though.
worship.gif

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the bit of purple in there, ed.

Really hard to judge cloth via snapshots and different monitors. Even in real life, colors can change dramatically in different light.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
wow... everyone posts pictures suitings and shirtings here
worship.gif

I only have a few meters of selvedge denim stored in the back of my closet. Nothing compared to what's been posted here.
baldy[1].gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
hacking is not good. avoid

I'm well aware this is the groupthink philosophy. Out of curiosity, why so against it? I think its classic for an English look, especially on an English Country style sportcoat. I hope others could chime in here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm well aware this is the groupthink philosophy. Out of curiosity, why so against it? I think its classic for an English look, especially on an English Country style sportcoat. I hope others could chime in here.

Good for riding. Do you use a bike?

hugh51271

Reaction score
What are the best online places for purchasing decent fabrics?

Is there a list anywhere on this site?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads