Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. JL724

JL724 Senior member

Can anyone recommended places in NYC that sell suit and sport coat fabrics besides Tip Top and Beckensteins, or will they have selections from the major producers?

Alternatively, are there any sellers that will ship fabric books if you give them a credit card number to hold for security and pay for shipping? Picking fabrics off a website would be more trouble than it's worth for me.

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Great pattern matching on the breast pocket. CMT or is this one of Ercole's house fabrics?

Thanks, its CMT, got this off B&S.

Can anyone recommended places in NYC that sell suit and sport coat fabrics besides Tip Top and Beckensteins, or will they have selections from the major producers?

Alternatively, are there any sellers that will ship fabric books if you give them a credit card number to hold for security and pay for shipping? Picking fabrics off a website would be more trouble than it's worth for me.

TipTop is really expanding. I was at Frank's this weekend and he had a new book from TipTop of English Super 130 Gabs, nice lightweight trousers. I'm prob gonna do the same colors I have in flannels, charcoal, mid grey, and a brown and make them my go to warmer weather pants. I asked if it was the same TipTop...yup. So they're now sourcing enough to put out books.

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Rob, the fabric is a bit too sedate for me, like it would get "lost". Anyway, you know I like me coats on the louder side.

This is the first fabric out of many that I have gotten in the last 6 months that has really spoken to me. For me, it's the perfect balance of colors for a darker coat (there is dark brown, red, purple, dark green) and it has a certain sedate loudness that I can't explain. It's cashmere but I am going to get it up made asap anyway. Colors don't like that good here but it's very nice, for my tastes.

[​IMG]

4. NewYorkIslander

[​IMG]
    Thats beautiful-the red makes it; I have something very similar for the fall. How are you going to do it? Mina I assume? I was thinking a very English cut, hacking plus ticket, with roped shoulders, but a light chest and shoulders for mine.

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Thats beautiful-the red makes it; I have something very similar for the fall. How are you going to do it? Mina I assume? I was thinking a very English cut, hacking plus ticket, with roped shoulders, but a light chest and shoulders for mine.

only thing English I wear are my shoes [​IMG]

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Rob, the fabric is a bit too sedate for me, like it would get "lost". Anyway, you know I like me coats on the louder side.

This is the first fabric out of many that I have gotten in the last 6 months that has really spoken to me. For me, it's the perfect balance of colors for a darker coat (there is dark brown, red, purple, dark green) and it has a certain sedate loudness that I can't explain. It's cashmere but I am going to get it up made asap anyway. Colors don't like that good here but it's very nice, for my tastes.

[​IMG]

dont like the brown in it, washes out the other colors.

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

hacking is not good. avoid

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

[​IMG]

I like it.

9. Navi

Navi Senior member

I like it.

Me too, if the brown was a bit brighter it would basically be perfect. Just light enough so the design really popped. It's great though. [​IMG]

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the bit of purple in there, ed.

Really hard to judge cloth via snapshots and different monitors. Even in real life, colors can change dramatically in different light.

11. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

wow... everyone posts pictures suitings and shirtings here[​IMG] .

I only have a few meters of selvedge denim stored in the back of my closet. Nothing compared to what's been posted here. [​IMG]

12. NewYorkIslander

hacking is not good. avoid

I'm well aware this is the groupthink philosophy. Out of curiosity, why so against it? I think its classic for an English look, especially on an English Country style sportcoat. I hope others could chime in here.

13. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm well aware this is the groupthink philosophy. Out of curiosity, why so against it? I think its classic for an English look, especially on an English Country style sportcoat. I hope others could chime in here.

Good for riding. Do you use a bike?

14. hugh51271

hugh51271 Well-Known Member

What are the best online places for purchasing decent fabrics?

Is there a list anywhere on this site?

15. S. Magnozzi

S. Magnozzi Senior member

What are the best online places for purchasing decent fabrics?

Is there a list anywhere on this site?

Better than decent, two positively great sources: