• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Just received 2 more Silent tees, was $30 on Gilt, hard to pass up.

link?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Just received 2 more Silent tees, was $30 on Gilt, hard to pass up.
Link? I initially wasn't interested but people have been talking them up so much I feel like I should give them a shot.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn, have these colours!! wearing light grey today actually..

was hoping for some l/s too.

edit: ar, i wear a small fwiw

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They actually don't, I got the xs and I thought it would be skin tight but it still fit slightly big. I guess it's meant to be more slouchy than usual, my size small Hanes tees fit tighter than these Silent tees.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
damn, have these colours!! wearing light grey today actually..

was hoping for some l/s too.

You know, they might still have the long sleeves if someone has the link to it. I only have the link to the short sleeves because I had it sitting on my cart last time they were on sale. It stayed there with the link to the s/s version so the l/s might still be available, you just need to find the link.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's the high-fashion equivalent of Jason Segal.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
yeah i have some neil barrett things. only 2 i think. its hard to find. there is a bloomingdales by me that sells it but thats all ive seen. i dont even think barneys in ny carries it. at least not on the 3rd floor. he makes some cool stuff but on the whole it doesnt distinguish itself enough from other brands enough for me to find it interesting.

Bloomingdales carries it, as does/did Traffic, a long time ago. In LA, at least, it's a pretty hard brand to find, which is wierd, since it goes for roughly the same demographic that John Varvatos goes for, but does so better, and is also appealing to more fashion conscious consumers. A lot of times though, ubiquity has nothing to do with the designs or construction, etc... and a lot more to do with PR and the competency of the salesforce. There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of Italian, French, and Japanese companies as good as what we see here, but that are found mostly domestically. On the other hand, sometimes you get a big push, and suddenly, a brand is found everywhere. Latest is "Closed", a midpriced Italian casual brand.

Neil Barrett did a good job during his tenure at Prada, and his early line was really refreshing, but later stuff has become either rather stale. That, and the conservative buying stateside, hasn't helped. It is apparently pretty big in Japan, with even a nearly Japanese exclusve diffusion like, Black Barrett.

I have a few sweatshirts, a sweater, and probably some other random piece I've forgetten about. He used to do a really good job with washed leathers, not unlike what brands from Geller to Haute do now.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think NM or Barneys in Rodeo Drive carries some Neil Barrett.

What surprised me this weekend is that my local Nordstrom now carries Dries, saw a white shirt with blue spattered paint and I thought to myself, "no way.... it can't be." But there it is. This same Nordstrom also has some Jil Sander, which is also surprising, along with maybe 1 or 2 pieces of Prorsum.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know much about Black Barrett? I've seen a few items on ebay/etc and the sale prices are waaay lower than mainline NB.

And yeah, there are a lot of random italian brands I've discovered on places like yoox that make great stuff and are more or less unknowns. Master Coat being a recent discovery of mine, for example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads