Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think NM or Barneys in Rodeo Drive carries some Neil Barrett.

What surprised me this weekend is that my local Nordstrom now carries Dries, saw a white shirt with blue spattered paint and I thought to myself, "no way.... it can't be." But there it is. This same Nordstrom also has some Jil Sander, which is also surprising, along with maybe 1 or 2 pieces of Prorsum.

Nordstrom has been making a concerted effort to increase its designer stock, as has been The Bay in Canada. These initiatives have had mixed success to date. Sometimes, it's hard to shake a reputation.

2. xM.

xM. Senior member

What has the Bay added that's worthwhile?

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Nordstrom has been making a concerted effort to increase its designer stock

I have noticed that but only in this one particular store, other Norsdtrom I've been to only has Lacoste and Burberry as their highest tier brand though. In the past 2-3 years, they started carrying Paul Smith, Gucci (not just the monogrammed tees and jackets, actual nice runway shirts and jackets), APC, Neil Barrett, Givenchy, etc... And in the last year they started carrying brand like Acne (more than just jeans), Spurr, Shipley & Halmos, Dries, Jil, etc... They have a better brand selection than the Neiman Marcus in the same mall.

4. Easter

Easter Well-Known Member

The Bay

Hahahahaha!!!

By designer they probably meant that junky armani diffusion line with the big fat poster on the building.

5. saelan

saelan Senior member

[​IMG] Florsheim Limited Veblens. They're definitely a peasant's longwing, but still probably the best dress shoe I've ever seen for under $200.

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

woah yeah, that's a pretty good deal.

I think we have a shoe to recommend to CtK

7. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

8. x_quest

x_quest Member

Florsheim Limited Veblens. They're definitely a peasant's longwing, but still probably the best dress shoe I've ever seen for under $200.
    What colour is that? brown? wine?

9. saelan

saelan Senior member

It's the brown. The wine was sold out in my size everywhere and I figured brown is more versatile anyway. The leather on these is definitely nowhere near as nice as Aldens -- it's quite soft and kinda waxy, almost like a pair of Clarks -- but the design is solid and the sole is goodyear welted.

10. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Senior member

nice shoes! I have the shell cordovan edition by duckie brown. It's black so not for every day kind of shoes. I may pick yours up. Online its only for $159.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hahahahaha!!!

By designer they probably meant that junky armani diffusion line with the big fat poster on the building.

Have you even gone into The Bay recently? I haven't, but I have it on good authority (i.e. retailers and designers who know their stuff) that the flagship stores in Toronto have better selection than Holt Renfrew.

12. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Have you even gone into The Bay recently? I haven't, but I have it on good authority (i.e. retailers and designers who know their stuff) that the flagship stores in Toronto have better selection than Holt Renfrew.
    Sure as hell isn't the case out here. I think the best you're likely to find in the downtown Calgary bay is Michael Kors and Lauren Ralph Lauren... at least Holts has Jil, Prorsum, McQueen mainline, Spurr... it still sucks a lot but it's only like... 75-80% embarassment. I'm about as likely to get anything at the bay as at wal mart.

13. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

nice shoes! I have the shell cordovan edition by duckie brown. It's black so not for every day kind of shoes. I may pick yours up. Online its only for $159.

They do look especially nice for the price. At Need Supply, they would have been $135 with the discount but are sold out.

14. xM.

xM. Senior member

Last time I went to the Bay I saw nothing of the sort. I'll check out their main stores next time I'm walking by the Eaton Centre or Bay/Bloor.

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I only go to the Bay to buy skincare stuff. I've never even considered looking for clothes there. The entrance of mine has a big Desigual section [​IMG]