• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foulard
1. What do you think of the new Thruxton?
Nice bike if you can get over that rear fender treatment. If you can't, there's always the slower, but better looking Bonnie SE. Cast wheels are a big plus to me.
2. What do you think of the Ducati Sport 1000 Classic?
I'm a big fan of 2v Ducs, for the sound and reliability/ease of maintenance. That said, the plastic gas tank debacle and rough seating position would keep me off the 1000 classic. I'd get a 900 SS FE long before I got a Sport Classic.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
two questions for you gentlemen out there.

I was tempted to buy one of these earlier this year, but have no place to put it, and don't want to trade any of my current bikes, so passed. It's a great looking bike, and probably hella fun to ride. Fit me like a glove.

Not a fran of Ducati, the look just does not appeal to me..

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Still love mine, see earlier in thread for more comments. Haven't gotten out to ride in quite a while though.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
two questions for you gentlemen out there.

Disclaimer: I haven't ridden a Sport Classic.

I think both are nice bikes. Obviously, the Duc outperforms the Trump. But the Thurxton wins on retro-style points and value. Depends on what's important to you.

I do like the Hinckley Triumphs even despite their two glaring design flaws: no kickstart (illegal on US bikes over 650cc) and too heavy (regular Bonnies are 50+ heavier than the original article). I had an '04 Bonnie that I modified quite a bit. Good bike. But I eventually sold it to make room for my Norton.

Friends with Sport Classics love them...fanatically. In fact, Ducati fanaticism rivals that of us vintage weirdos, so much respect.
smile.gif

Kookz

Reaction score
Obviously I'm biased because I love my Sport 1000. The comments on the seating position are valid. It's aggressive stock (much moreso than an 1198, for example) and with my 1" lower clipons (848 front end on my bike) it's pretty brutal, but I still love it. In fact, I even took it out yesterday despite being 32F when I started and below freezing when I got home. Cold ride through Brooklyn.
190351_641523838969_4801782_35586856_6757441_n.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Still really liking the victory Hammer. Vegas or 8-ball? Hmm.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Still really liking the victory Hammer. Vegas or 8-ball? Hmm.

Dood, you're still on the fence? Life's too short.. Both are nice bikes. Postpicksoon..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pat pearson
Thread needs a little more cafe love...

+1,

I'd also say this thread needs more pictures of people's bikes..

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I'd also say this thread needs more pictures of people's bikes..
DSC_3054_Small.JPG
Picked this up a few weeks ago for $1500. Seller was moving out of the country and didn't want to ship it. It's an '09 with 6500 miles on it, obnoxiously loud Two Brothers pipes (am selling and going back to stock), and Puig double bubble screen. My plans for it include a re-sprung fully adjustable R6S fork, a Penske rear shock, and a set of Givi V35 cases. And a set of new Pilot Road 3 CT tires. So far, I like it quite a bit. I think it's ugly as sin, but it's very comfortable, even with the stock seat, gets decent mileage (mid-40s) for a high hp/liter engine, and is still reasonably fun above 8,000 rpm. The clutch sucks (short friction zone and binary engagement) and the 1-2 shift is a bit agricultural, but other than that, I'm hard pressed to find too many things to complain about. And it's plenty fast for real-world riding. I think I'm getting old... Over the winter, I sold my CBR1000 and my KTM Adventure, too. The garage is starting to look less like a motorcycle shop and more like a garage. With two kids, it was starting to become a game of battery tender tag to keep them all juiced up (the bikes, not the kids).

cmrocks

Reaction score
The Norton Commando is finally available in Canada. I love this bike but it would be hard to justify spending almost $20,000 on it. Regardless, if I get another motorcycle, it will be between this or the Ducati Monster 1100.

Norton-961---portrait-2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads