• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues with Edward Green Service. Somewhat resolved. UPDATE 4/5

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kal249
Hi

I've been reading this thread with great interest. I live about 35 miles from the factory and make frequent visits when I have shoes on order. I have about 12 pairs of EG's that I have collected over the last 3 years (all MTO) I've got to know all the people at the factory especially Helen, Karen and Lorna in the office. I've experienced my share of bad service as is the norm these days including the poor service in the EG Jermyn st Shop. However the people at the EG factory especially Helen are absolutely SUPERB. She has been there for 27+ years almost since she left school!! I think they are a little overworked and very recently they have changed the set up for MTOs and recrafting to improve production and they are also busier than ever. I must say that the quality of the shoes (I have C&J,Trickers,Lobb etc) is genuinely the best in RTW terms. So I would stick with EG despite the problems experienced by Rebel. Every company has problems and things do slip through the cracks despite their best efforts.

If you're not happy with something just call the factory and let them know, its always worked for me and they always go out of their way to help, why wouldn't they??

I think everyone has their bad days, ok, but I received poor service each time I bought their shoes! It's not a very friendly shop. I'm clearly not alone in this. It's probably to do with exclusivity as much as anything else: the shoes are high-value and if they are doing good business and have a high turnover then who cares? EG are set slightly apart from the other makers, Lobb excepted, who are pitching at middle/high ground i.e. apart from Handgrade most quality shoes are between £300 - £400.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another update:

As I noted, I spoke with the production manager of the factory. He informed me, yesterday around noon UK time, that he would make this right. He took my information and told me that he will email me in a few hours to let me know how to get the shoes back to him. That was yesterday morning. I haven't heard anything back. To me, that is completely unacceptable. I didn't necessarily expect them to fully resolve this in a few hours. However, don't promise me a 3 hour turnaround, and then completely neglect to contact me. Even an "I'm still working on it" email would appropriate.

I don't know what else to say. I guess I'll call back tomorrow. I have a personality that gets to a resolution with service issues. I am not a pushover in circumstances like this, so for those who think I am rolling over and taking this, that is not my personality. I am just at a loss with this type of service from a luxury goods supplier/manufacturer.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the call tomorrow. FWIW, I received my relasted Westminsters today - HAF sole, full sock liner, metal toe taps. I kopped these 7-8 years ago during a sale and they're in great condition; I think the price of the relasting, though, was over 2/3 of the price I paid back then.
plain.gif

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anything, you're under-reacting.

The edge dressing is so unforgivable that it really makes me doubt EG even has a quality assurance team to check recrafts.

To pay top dollar and receive this quality of work would be infuriating.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
He took my information and told me that he will email me in a few hours to let me know how to get the shoes back to him.

I'm surprised that EG didn't decide to send you a new pair of shoes. Black edge dressing marks on a pair of light brown shoes? That's just egregious. Permanent damage, right? Now they expect you to mail them back?

gracian

Reaction score
That's an interesting grain to the leather. What kind of leather is that medtech?

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Good luck with the call tomorrow. FWIW, I received my relasted Westminsters today - HAF sole, full sock liner, metal toe taps. I kopped these 7-8 years ago during a sale and they're in great condition; I think the price of the relasting, though, was over 2/3 of the price I paid back then.
plain.gif

jsherman02

Reaction score
Rebel-

You are a better person than me...I would have called them a dozen times to ensure something was getting done. I would also ask for the fees to be waived in full.

I hope this works out for you soon.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have just sent the shoes back with receipts showing the cost of shipping and a note outlining that I thought they were better than this and expect them to sort it out. I think this would yield the best results.

When I emailed GVH about a problem with a pair of shoes [they sold as NIB but were obviously worn] they offered me an additional discount. That's not what I wanted, I wanted a brand new pair of shoes like the listing held out.

With EG, I would send them like I stated above with the expectation that they would make it right. A new pair of shoes in return? Sure. Fix the shoes I originally sent them? Sure. Whatever. Just get me my money's worth. Thanks.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, FWIW I recently emailed AS about a creaking noise on one of my shoes and they replied to send them the shoes and they will take apart the sole, fix the issue and I will subsequently have new soles. I just wanted the squeaking to go away (I sound like Spongebob walking in a quiet office).

I believe this is the procedure when you have creaking or squeaking shoes. They need to take the sole apart to get to the issue (it may be the shank). Perhaps they thought you knew this and went ahead and ripped them apart. They should have communicated their procedure before performing it, tho. They have done this with me.

I bought a used pair of EGs from another member with the intent of having them re-crafted and I think it was the OP that warned me they might not accept shoes that had been previously resoled by another cobbler. They laid out the procedure & I chose to forgo it. It involved completely taking the sole apart with no assurance of being able to resole them.

Perhaps they could have communicated this better in your instance.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gracian
That's an interesting grain to the leather. What kind of leather is that medtech?

Dark oak willow. I was advised willow is no longer available due to the inability of EG's supplier to provide sufficient consistency with the end product. Given the manner in which Rebel's unfortunate situation has yet to be resolved, the irony isn't lost on me.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so basically they screwed it all up, forgot to do certain things, and on top of that charged you top dollar.

I'd be pretty pissed about that situation. The edge dressing is one thing, but completely forgetting to do what they said they would...thats just awful

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
I'm surprised that EG didn't decide to send you a new pair of shoes. Black edge dressing marks on a pair of light brown shoes? That's just egregious. Permanent damage, right? Now they expect you to mail them back?

New pair of shoes? Are you joking? They are running a business not a charity.I'd personally just wear them,who is going to notice that black spot? It might be irritating yes, but they are shoes. Just not worth wasting time and fighting with them.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
plain.gif

Very nice!

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
New pair of shoes? Are you joking? They are running a business not a charity.I'd personally just wear them,who is going to notice that black spot? It might be irritating yes, but they are shoes. Just not worth wasting time and fighting with them.

I'm sorry, but when you send a $1000 pair of shoes in to be recrafted or otherwise repaired, you expect a fairly high level of service.

Whether it ends up being worth it or not to send them back is one thing, but this is not acceptable for allen edmonds and certainly not for EG.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics