• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues with Edward Green Service. Somewhat resolved. UPDATE 4/5

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT UPDATE: See Post #55, #77 and #156 Long story short (kinda short), I sent 2 pair of shoes in to Edward Green, one for a recraft and the other for them to inspect for a creaking issue. Here is the story of both pair, let me know if I am making an issue out of nothing. If so, I will probably delete the text of this thread. Pair #1. Westminsters. I sent these in for a recraft. Before sending the shoes in, I emailed EG. I asked if I could have them recrafted with a HAF sole and a natural sole edge. They replied and told me that this would not be a problem. I corresponded a few times with the manager of the Jermyn Street store. He was nice, and most of his emails were timely. I did have 3-4 emails that went completely unanswered. I assumed that he received these, but I don't know. I placed a letter in the box of both shoes with the specific instructions, and I placed a separate note inside of the shoes for the factory worker. After a 6-8 weeks, I received an email stating that they completed the Westmisters, but they accidentally put brown soles on them. They, apparently, had to attach the welt by hand, like their top drawer shoes, so they were hesitant to remove it and a replace it with a natural. They gave me the option of either to risk the resole or take them as completed. I chose to take them with the incorrect sole edge. They offered me 1/2 off my recraft for this issue, which seems more than fair. They were also supposed to attach metal toe taps, which didn't happen. All around, I am happy with the work that was actually completed. The remedy for the mistake seems fair. Pair #2. Chelseas. I sent this pair in only because I was already returning a pair for a recraft. I had only worn this pair of shoes 6-8 times. They developed a very loud creaking sound when I walked. The sound was loud enough that I quit wearing the shoes. I also included a note with this pair of shoes indicating the problem. I did NOT request these shoes to be recrafted. I had only requested that they look at the shoes for the problem. The proposed remedy was for EG to decide. After the manager of the Jermyn Street store received my shoes, he called me. He suggested that I pay for toe taps on both shoes, since I wear the toes excessively. After a few emails back and forth discussing my concern about clicking when I walk, I decided to pay for toe taps. I received a call when both pair of shoes were complete indicating that EG recrafted this pair. They originally wanted to be paid a full recraft price for these shoes. After I explained that I only wore them 6-8 times and they were unwearable with the creaking sound, they did not charge me for the recraft. This seemed fair, since I never asked for or authorized a recraft. When I received my shoes back, I found out that they did not install the metal toe taps. I don't know if they charged me, since I never received an itemized bill. Also, I noticed that they were rather careless in applying the sole edge dressing to the shoes, and there are 3-4 spots on the uppers. It just comes across as careless on their part. I would expect this lack of attention to detail with AE or Alden, but I was suprised to see this from EG. Pictures below. Am I overreacting??? This was my first recraft with EG, but I have not been pleased with the lack of attention to detail and careless mistakes.
IMG_7302.jpg
IMG_7303.jpg
IMG_7304.jpg

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
I am expecting my recrafted shoes back next week. I paid $344.57 USD for this recraft, which does not include the cost of my shipping them to Edward Green, and if they return with the markings shown on your shoes I am going to be quite upset. While the cost was a bit more than I had expected, I was still happy to pay it since it was my expectation that having the factory recraft them would result in exactly what they promise[d] on their website: "better than new." I do not see how smudging your uppers with dressing would be acceptable to a pair of new shoes so certainly not better than new. Don't get me wrong, your shoes are beautiful, but those marks would irritate me no end, especially after paying the high cost of recrafting.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While cooler heads seem to ultimately be prevailing, I would have probably freaked out a bit. They wouldn't sell that shoe as 1st quality if it came off their line and they shouldn't return it to you looking like that.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you get some freebies out of this frustrating experience.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would class this as a "Human" mistake. Clearly you need the uppers fixing with that kind of edge dressing work. There is no question.

You almost have to go with it, if you ask real people to make, repair and recraft shoes, there will be mistakes. It sounds to me like they are willing to put things right with you so I would speak to them.

Maybe spell out the story as you did here. Include photos in the email, generally be absoluteley clear that while you don't plame them per-say, you want the problem fixing and some form of compensations.

Two pairs of shoes.
One is faulty.

Two incorrect repair jobs.

One case of damage to the uppers.

Personally I would want either all of my money back or a replacement Chelsea and a "free recraft in the future" type deal.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I would class this as a "Human" mistake. Clearly you need the uppers fixing with that kind of edge dressing work. There is no question.

You almost have to go with it, if you ask real people to make, repair and recraft shoes, there will be mistakes. It sounds to me like they are willing to put things right with you so I would speak to them.

Maybe spell out the story as you did here. Include photos in the email, generally be absoluteley clear that while you don't plame them per-say, you want the problem fixing and some form of compensations.

Two pairs of shoes.
One is faulty.

Two incorrect repair jobs.

One case of damage to the uppers.

Personally I would want either all of my money back or a replacement Chelsea and a "free recraft in the future" type deal.

I agree with this for the most part.

All of those mistakes could have been avoided. I would also expect that from AE, Alden, and the like, but I would also expect better from a company like EG. I would explain the problem like you have here and just ask for the toe taps to be put on. Anything else extra would be a nice perk.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creaking when you walk might be because the shank is broken.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not overreacting. This level of service for shoes of this price is not acceptable. That being said, I'd give them a chance to make it right (which you are doing.)

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks about the edge dressing and the lack of metal toe taps. I have a pair of Westminsters on their way back to me (HAF sole, replaced sock liner, metal toe taps). I had coordinated to pick these up when in London a few weeks back but for some reason they couldn't locate them in the shop. Chris has shipped these to me free of charge in light of the oversight. Also included in this shipment are a new pair of Greshams (82 last, burnt pine) from the sale for which toe taps were to have been installed. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything turns out ok; update on Wednesday.

Have you communicated with Chris to try and achieve some sort of resolution? I have found him to be quite reasonable and client-oriented; can't say the same for some of his staff, however.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's Phucked Up!
I would be writing to Hilary and including images of the 'damage'.

Jorge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon
That's Phucked Up!
I would be writing to Hilary and including images of the 'damage'.

I think taking this issue to the Secretary of State is going overboard, even if they are shoes.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
I am expecting my recrafted shoes back next week. I paid $344.57 USD for this recraft, which does not include the cost of my shipping them to Edward Green, and if they return with the markings shown on your shoes I am going to be quite upset. While the cost was a bit more than I had expected, I was still happy to pay it since it was my expectation that having the factory recraft them would result in exactly what they promise[d] on their website: "better than new." I do not see how smudging your uppers with dressing would be acceptable to a pair of new shoes so certainly not better than new. Don't get me wrong, your shoes are beautiful, but those marks would irritate me no end, especially after paying the high cost of recrafting.

Almost $400 for recraft is a highway robbery, I'd rather pay $600-650 and get a new pair of shoes.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jorge
I think taking this issue to the Secretary of State is going overboard, even if they are foreign shoes.

FTFY.

Rebel, when I read your account, I thought *********** up, made fair amends and you were over-reacting. When I saw your pics, I did a 180. That edge dressing is unacceptable. I'm a horrible shoe polisher, have gotten edge dressing on my shoes, but never anything as blatant as that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics