• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues with Edward Green Service. Somewhat resolved. UPDATE 4/5

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that would be great but I haven't mastered the art of teleporting. If time was not so limited and air-tickets cost £10.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Yes, that would be great but I haven't mastered the art of teleporting. If time was not so limited and air-tickets cost £10.

I thought you Americans invented teleporting 40 years ago...

If we can't believe anything in Star Trek anymore...

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daleks had teleporting long before that.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I thought you Americans invented teleporting 40 years ago...

If we can't believe anything in Star Trek anymore...

It's my personal problem, I simply have not mastered teleporting, others have. Keep the faith.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Daleks had teleporting long before that.

Really?

The Brits have done it first...

kal249

Reaction score
Hi

I've been reading this thread with great interest. I live about 35 miles from the factory and make frequent visits when I have shoes on order. I have about 12 pairs of EG's that I have collected over the last 3 years (all MTO) I've got to know all the people at the factory especially Helen, Karen and Lorna in the office. I've experienced my share of bad service as is the norm these days including the poor service in the EG Jermyn st Shop. However the people at the EG factory especially Helen are absolutely SUPERB. She has been there for 27+ years almost since she left school!! I think they are a little overworked and very recently they have changed the set up for MTOs and recrafting to improve production and they are also busier than ever. I must say that the quality of the shoes (I have C&J,Trickers,Lobb etc) is genuinely the best in RTW terms. So I would stick with EG despite the problems experienced by Rebel. Every company has problems and things do slip through the cracks despite their best efforts.

If you're not happy with something just call the factory and let them know, its always worked for me and they always go out of their way to help, why wouldn't they??

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I have to say, I like EG shoes (I have two pairs, I wish I could afford more) but I've found the service to be the WORST of any of the Jermyn Street shoe shops. The staff really don't give a toss. Wasn't measured or tested for fit, no footrest provided, no advice or information given, staff taking shoes out of my hands and returning them to the display, having to ask for assistance, etc. I once had an argument with one of them - I said "it [the shoe] is almost coffee coloured'. Her brusque reply, No, it's espresso. I said that I knew what colour it was, and she did the same again!

I'm not a whinger and I won't labour the point, but really I expect excellent customer service at that level. I put it down to snobbishness on their part. By the way, I was dressed smart-casual - slacks, jacket. I looked neat, but that shouldn't matter.

I've always found the customer service at C&J, Foster, Barker, Tricker's, etc to be very good. In other words, helpful and keen to ensure that the shoes fit properly.

If I could buy from someone else I would.

P.s. My e-mails have often gone unanswered too.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I have never experienced anything but the finest service and cordiality from the gents at EG's Jermyn St shop.

Whether at sale time and requesting an email list of my size availabilities or dialing up to make a special request they have always been keen to assist and, for that matter, chat about our shared love of their product.

Another thought for those having issues is to use an intermediary retailer such as Tom Park at Leather Soul to do your bidding with EG. Tom is a man who will not be satisfied until you are and will, if necessary, fight the good fight to make things right.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance
I once had an argument with one of them - I said "it [the shoe] is almost coffee coloured'. Her brusque reply, No, it's espresso. I said that I knew what colour it was, and she did the same again!

What? espresso and coffee look the same to me....an extremely dark brown near black? I think most people perceive colors just a bit differently

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Well, I have never experienced anything but the finest service and cordiality from the gents at EG's Jermyn St shop.

Whether at sale time and requesting an email list of my size availabilities or dialing up to make a special request they have always been keen to assist and, for that matter, chat about our shared love of their product.

Another thought for those having issues is to use an intermediary retailer such as Tom Park at Leather Soul to do your bidding with EG. Tom is a man who will not be satisfied until you are and will, if necessary, fight the good fight to make things right.

Yes, but don't you own like 1000 pair of their shoes! I've heard you account for 10% of their total yearly sales, but I could be wrong, it might be as much as 15%!

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys compose your emails?

Make it short and direct. State the issue or problem you have. Long winded confusing stories are not needed. No one cares how many generations your family has shopped here it detracts from the real issue.

Managers at stores have employees to watch over, any customer issue that arises in the store, other issues such as if anything is broken and needs to be fixed they need to get someone to fix etc. They also have corporate calls or meetings with their bosses, going over promotions, issues, number crunching and whatnot.

Email is great, because if you just call, and they are busy you get angry while on hold or whatnot, or they need to contact you back later, more often than not you guys will be playing phone tag.

Allow 24-48 hours for a reply back on emails. Stores are open like everyday of the week, but that does not mean the manager works everyday of the week. That would be crazy, they have days off too. You may have caught them on their day off, mass emails just make you look like a crazy person. And every retail store has their share of crazy people who they've deemed better to ignore and will sacrifice your business to avoid dealing with you.

Another reason for a 24-48 hour delay between emails is because, they may need to contact another person. In this scenario, since the store manager on jermyn street does not work at the factory, He has no idea what is happening. He gets your complaint, contacts the factory, waits for a response before contacting you back. His contact person may take a day to get back to him.

While they are workers for a certain company, they are people too. People for the most part do not like confrontation, nor having to be yelled at. People who have issues but are still friendly and civil about it, are likely to be on the top of the to do list, those who are irate and angry you put off as long as you can. who knows, maybe they'll go away.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I can second that statement and I only have about 5 pairs of EG.

Dib

Reaction score
I have found their in store service to be mixed - sometimes the sales associates have been polite and helpful, other times I have found them to be the opposite. Considering the price they charge for their shoes, I can't help but feel their customer service leaves a little to be desired.

Canary Wharf

Reaction score
Hmmm. I have been in the Jermyn Street shop three times recently. Once in the sales and twice since.

During the sales it was really busy with loads of people milling about so I forgive them for not coming up to me and asking me what was looking for (it was very busy in that small room in the back)

However both times I have been since I have only seen one or two other people in the shop and STILL no-one has bothered to talk to me.

I have only ever been in on working days so I'm always smartly dressed.

Now, if I were that serious I would just ask for advice (as it is I still can't see why the RTW black oxfords are £200 more than C&J Audleys and I've looked at them three times) but I still think its a little odd that no one has said "Hello, can I help you?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads