1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Issues with Edward Green Service. Somewhat resolved. UPDATE 4/5

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rebel222, Feb 19, 2011.

1. blackdice

blackdice Well-Known Member

Looking at the actual production process at the EG factory, I struggle to understand how on earth they screwed up the edge dressing as the upper seems to be wrapped with a plastic cover throughout the process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=x_0hczSirzY

2. gracian

gracian Senior member

That's an interesting grain to the leather. What kind of leather is that medtech?

Good luck with the call tomorrow. FWIW, I received my relasted Westminsters today - HAF sole, full sock liner, metal toe taps. I kopped these 7-8 years ago during a sale and they're in great condition; I think the price of the relasting, though, was over 2/3 of the price I paid back then. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

Rebel-

You are a better person than me...I would have called them a dozen times to ensure something was getting done. I would also ask for the fees to be waived in full.

I hope this works out for you soon.

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

I would have just sent the shoes back with receipts showing the cost of shipping and a note outlining that I thought they were better than this and expect them to sort it out. I think this would yield the best results.

When I emailed GVH about a problem with a pair of shoes [they sold as NIB but were obviously worn] they offered me an additional discount. That's not what I wanted, I wanted a brand new pair of shoes like the listing held out.

With EG, I would send them like I stated above with the expectation that they would make it right. A new pair of shoes in return? Sure. Fix the shoes I originally sent them? Sure. Whatever. Just get me my money's worth. Thanks.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

Also, FWIW I recently emailed AS about a creaking noise on one of my shoes and they replied to send them the shoes and they will take apart the sole, fix the issue and I will subsequently have new soles. I just wanted the squeaking to go away (I sound like Spongebob walking in a quiet office).

I believe this is the procedure when you have creaking or squeaking shoes. They need to take the sole apart to get to the issue (it may be the shank). Perhaps they thought you knew this and went ahead and ripped them apart. They should have communicated their procedure before performing it, tho. They have done this with me.

I bought a used pair of EGs from another member with the intent of having them re-crafted and I think it was the OP that warned me they might not accept shoes that had been previously resoled by another cobbler. They laid out the procedure & I chose to forgo it. It involved completely taking the sole apart with no assurance of being able to resole them.

Perhaps they could have communicated this better in your instance.

6. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

That's an interesting grain to the leather. What kind of leather is that medtech?

Dark oak willow. I was advised willow is no longer available due to the inability of EG's supplier to provide sufficient consistency with the end product. Given the manner in which Rebel's unfortunate situation has yet to be resolved, the irony isn't lost on me.

7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

so basically they screwed it all up, forgot to do certain things, and on top of that charged you top dollar.

I'd be pretty pissed about that situation. The edge dressing is one thing, but completely forgetting to do what they said they would...thats just awful

8. forex

forex Senior member

I'm surprised that EG didn't decide to send you a new pair of shoes. Black edge dressing marks on a pair of light brown shoes? That's just egregious. Permanent damage, right? Now they expect you to mail them back?

New pair of shoes? Are you joking? They are running a business not a charity.I'd personally just wear them,who is going to notice that black spot? It might be irritating yes, but they are shoes. Just not worth wasting time and fighting with them.

9. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Good luck with the call tomorrow. FWIW, I received my relasted Westminsters today - HAF sole, full sock liner, metal toe taps. I kopped these 7-8 years ago during a sale and they're in great condition; I think the price of the relasting, though, was over 2/3 of the price I paid back then. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice!

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

New pair of shoes? Are you joking? They are running a business not a charity.I'd personally just wear them,who is going to notice that black spot? It might be irritating yes, but they are shoes. Just not worth wasting time and fighting with them.

I'm sorry, but when you send a $1000 pair of shoes in to be recrafted or otherwise repaired, you expect a fairly high level of service.

Whether it ends up being worth it or not to send them back is one thing, but this is not acceptable for allen edmonds and certainly not for EG.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Forward an email to him with nothing more than a link to this thread. No other text.

12. forex

forex Senior member

I'm sorry, but when you send a $1000 pair of shoes in to be recrafted or otherwise repaired, you expect a fairly high level of service.

Whether it ends up being worth it or not to send them back is one thing, but this is not acceptable for allen edmonds and certainly not for EG.

Yeah well,that's what you think. Obviously,they don't think so and think that they can get away with it,people will keep buying EG and they don't care about rebel. EG has customer service issues,that's true but is it going to stop anyone from buying their shoes? I don't think so.

13. iyorito

iyorito Senior member

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I remember a case from Styleforum where one the English shoe retailers sent somebody defective shoes. They sent them a new pair and let them keep the old ones. If I was EG, I'd send new shoes, or perhaps do the service for free. I would not want to incur the wrath of iGents. Seriously.

15. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

SF'ers are not the target market for luxury retailers. In general they are just too picky. And most people don't pay retail price for things. Not saying this is good or bad, it's just the way things are.

16. LatinStyleLover

LatinStyleLover Senior member

The more I read this thread the more nervous I get. My shoes should arrive any day now, maybe even tomorrow. As I indicated earlier I paid $344.57 USD and did not ask for ANY of the special features asked for by others. No special treatment to the soles and no toe caps, which I really wish I had asked for.

I have not read anyone else post what they paid, but is my cost about in line with what everyone else paid? I ask this because it would seem the additional requests made by others here, especially the OP, would cost more, yet, I have only heard comments that I paid a lot, certainly not that I paid less than others. That has me very nervous about what I am gong to get, especially after all fo the remarks here.

I saw the thread where bengalstripe posted the recraft of his EG for Cole Haans and those were just stunning. I have almost the exact same pair of shoes, but did not ask for the features/upgrades he did, which I really regret. What did I ask for:

"Per email communication [see attached email] I received from you regarding the enclosed shoes, I am sending these to you for repair. As we had discussed, Edward Green is known to have made these shoes back in the 80's. I have owned them for some time now, having received them from my father as my first pair of "nice" dress shoes.

Clearly, these shoes require refurbishment with the soles coming apart and the heels worn down. They had some scuffs on the toe area that I did my best to improve, but I don't think there is a whole lot you can do about that. Whatever you can do to improve them will be greatly appreciated, but I am primarily looking to have them re-soled/re-heeled. I trust the expert opinion of Edward Green and Co on what is best, completely."

I am beginning to think I erred? Then again, maybe they will come back and be something really special (okay, that is me trying to calm me down now). Anyway, if those of you who have posted, especially the OP, do not mind revealing what you paid I would be grateful, as it would give me an idea of what to expect, maybe.

17. aon

aon Senior member

I remember a case from Styleforum where one the English shoe retailers sent somebody defective shoes. They sent them a new pair and let them keep the old ones.

If I was EG, I'd send new shoes, or perhaps do the service for free. I would not want to incur the wrath of iGents. Seriously.

I remember this too. I think it was church's.

18. meister

meister Senior member

+1

The way they are going is the way to go out of business when you are a boutique manufacturer.

19. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

The more I read this thread the more nervous I get. My shoes should arrive any day now, maybe even tomorrow. As I indicated earlier I paid $344.57 USD and did not ask for ANY of the special features asked for by others. No special treatment to the soles and no toe caps, which I really wish I had asked for.

I have not read anyone else post what they paid, but is my cost about in line with what everyone else paid? I ask this because it would seem the additional requests made by others here, especially the OP, would cost more, yet, I have only heard comments that I paid a lot, certainly not that I paid less than others. That has me very nervous about what I am gong to get, especially after all fo the remarks here.

I saw the thread where bengalstripe posted the recraft of his EG for Cole Haans and those were just stunning. I have almost the exact same pair of shoes, but did not ask for the features/upgrades he did, which I really regret. What did I ask for:

"Per email communication [see attached email] I received from you regarding the enclosed shoes, I am sending these to you for repair. As we had discussed, Edward Green is known to have made these shoes back in the 80's. I have owned them for some time now, having received them from my father as my first pair of "nice" dress shoes.

Clearly, these shoes require refurbishment with the soles coming apart and the heels worn down. They had some scuffs on the toe area that I did my best to improve, but I don't think there is a whole lot you can do about that. Whatever you can do to improve them will be greatly appreciated, but I am primarily looking to have them re-soled/re-heeled. I trust the expert opinion of Edward Green and Co on what is best, completely."

I am beginning to think I erred? Then again, maybe they will come back and be something really special (okay, that is me trying to calm me down now). Anyway, if those of you who have posted, especially the OP, do not mind revealing what you paid I would be grateful, as it would give me an idea of what to expect, maybe.

Was your $340 including postage either way? My initial bill without shipping, before any credits for "issues," was less than that.

20. LatinStyleLover

LatinStyleLover Senior member

Was your $340 including postage either way? My initial bill without shipping, before any credits for "issues," was less than that.

It certainly includes the postage to return the shoes to me from the UK to the US, but does not include the cost of shipping to the UK, which was $38.50. That amount would make the total $383.07. Maybe I got lucky? [​IMG] Maybe they really spruced these up since I told them to do whatever they thought was best? [​IMG] Today could be the day they arrive, as she did indicate I would have them, via UPS, this week. I feel like I am either going to be really happy or really bummed, especially after reading this thread. I paid what I paid and as long as the shoes are in good condition I am certainly not going to complain. But if it is just a simple recraft, no bells and whistles, and I paid more than everyone else here, then something is just wrong with that.

I second what someone said earlier in the thread, that is, you ought send a link to this thread to Edward Green. I suspect the entire conversation would be of great interest to them.

I truly feel your pain and do not think I would accept them back in the condition yours were in. As I said before, they are beautiful shoes, but they are not up to Edward Green standard and they are missing key elements you requested.

This, from the thread "How many of you have had english/italian shoes recrafted at the factory?," is what I was hoping for, but alas, I did not ask for this. [​IMG] Then again, shoes are meant to be worn and I would just hate to scuff up those soles. I think I would only wear them indoors on carpets and call them my carpet shoes.

Here is a pair of Edward Green shoes which were made in about 1985 (for Cole Haan),
    still with their original soles (although rather thin):

[​IMG]

Same shoes after a recent re-crafting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Promised and delivered within eight weeks at a cost of GBP 155 (about USD 220).
    (Of course, I'm in the London, so no problems with shipping.)