• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fish tweezer vs. needle nose pliers

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO, fish recipes are best when they are simplest. Since the flavor is generally so delicate, just changing the method of cooking allows you to highlight so many different things.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
IMO, fish recipes are best when they are simplest. Since the flavor is generally so delicate, just changing the method of cooking allows you to highlight so many different things.

that's exactly right. but the main thing is that fish is also physically delicate. if you're used to grilling steaks or braising chuck, that can really throw you off. the difference in perfect and grievously overcooked for a piece of salmon is about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
that's exactly right. but the main thing is that fish is also physically delicate. if you're used to grilling steaks or braising chuck, that can really throw you off. the difference in perfect and grievously overcooked for a piece of salmon is about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
No doubt. I forget how, for lack of a better word, violent people can be toward food while cooking.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I cook salmon like once a decade. Last week was the first time in forever.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i don't cook it much anymore either ... not since the california/oregon catch disappeared and it's all like $25 a pound. still, do love a well-cooked piece. used to do a party dish -- take a side of salmon and cook it in a 250-degree oven with a pan of boiling water underneath. awesome. also like the TK method of using the back of a knife to squeegee the moisture out of the skin, then cooking it 90% on one side only so the skin crisps up really nice but the meat stays moist.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i still don't understand why the eyeballs of my striped bass the other week popped out of the skull while braising.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah, i don't cook it much anymore either ... not since the california/oregon catch disappeared and it's all like $25 a pound. still, do love a well-cooked piece. used to do a party dish -- take a side of salmon and cook it in a 250-degree oven with a pan of boiling water underneath. awesome. also like the TK method of using the back of a knife to squeegee the moisture out of the skin, then cooking it 90% on one side only so the skin crisps up really nice but the meat stays moist.
That Scottish farmed salmon isn't too bad. It's certainly better than most. I cooked a thick, 2.5 lb piece last week, and it came out great. Basically seared it lightly and roasted it until it was no longer cold inside, then let it rest a bit so it was just warm. I guess I am kind of wimpy about eating rare wild salmon, so the Loch Duart is an OK compromise if my wife really wants salmon or, as in this case, we are having guests who basically equate salmon with good food. Gratuitous pics:
dscn0190s.jpg
Carved:
dscn0191z.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
i still don't understand why the eyeballs of my striped bass the other week popped out of the skull while braising.
Lots of pressure in eyeballs. Next time, just take a coffee spoon and scoop them out before you cook them.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Lots of pressure in eyeballs. Next time, just take a coffee spoon and scoop them out before you cook them.

that's what i plan to do in the future, but was something done wrong? is this common with braising v. other methods of cooking fish, or with bass v. other types of fish?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
that's what i plan to do in the future, but was something done wrong? is this common with braising v. other methods of cooking fish, or with bass v. other types of fish?
No clue at all.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that's just what happens sometimes. muscle contracts under heat ... pop!
either that or it was SHOCKED at the sauce you were using.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
that's just what happens sometimes. muscle contracts under heat ... pop!
either that or it was SHOCKED at the sauce you were using.

i bought it at seafood city. maybe it was making fun of my big american eyes.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody read or tried this seafood cookbook, Olivier Roellinger's Contemporary French Cuisine: 50 Recipes Inspired by the Sea?

I'm not really into french cooking, but he's supposed to be the best seafood chef in France who won three Michelin Stars only to return them shortly after he won them.

the difference in perfect and grievously overcooked for a piece of salmon is about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

I know that restaurants consider medium-rare salmon to be cooked perfectly, but is that really safe for the home cook?

We're not getting the same quality of fish that top restaurants get. And, then, of course, other restaurants down the line ape that style even if they're not using the same quality fish.

Even then, we're still talking about a anadromous fish that spends significant time in fresh waters where it can pick up parasites and bacteria and tapeworms.

take a side of salmon and cook it in a 250-degree oven with a pan of boiling water underneath. awesome.

Sounds interesting as a way to keep the salmon meat moist. But, aren't you losing the textural contrast between crispy skin and moist flesh underneath with this method?

Could you have tried something like searing it first on the stove, and then finishing it in oven? Or, first pop it in oven at something like 400 degrees for brief period and then finishng it in oven at 250 degrees?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads