• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fish tweezer vs. needle nose pliers

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
Has anybody read or tried this seafood cookbook, Olivier Roellinger's Contemporary French Cuisine: 50 Recipes Inspired by the Sea? I'm not really into french cooking, but he's supposed to be the best seafood chef in France who won three Michelin Stars only to return them shortly after he won them. I know that restaurants consider medium-rare salmon to be cooked perfectly, but is that really safe for the home cook? We're not getting the same quality of fish that top restaurants get. And, then, of course, other restaurants down the line ape that style even if they're not using the same quality fish. Even then, we're still talking about a anadromous fish that spends significant time in fresh waters where it can pick up parasites and bacteria and tapeworms. Sounds interesting as a way to keep the salmon meat moist. But, aren't you losing the textural contrast between crispy skin and moist flesh underneath with this method? Could you have tried something like searing it first on the stove, and then finishing it in oven? Or, first pop it in oven at something like 400 degrees for brief period and then finishng it in oven at 250 degrees?
Roellinger's cookbook is probably the worst I've seen, certainly the worst I have. It is gimmicky and disorganized. You basically disregarded all earlier advice, so I will assume that you will do the same now, but as far as salmon, if you want to eat it medium rare, you can eat farmed salmon (there are some good ones) or you can eat deep frozen salmon. Again, there are good ones. Restaurants cannot select their fish based on not having invisible parasites, and the highest quality fish for taste, are actually the ones most likely to be infested. Sucks, I know, but fully cooked salmon isn't actually worth eating at all. As far as cookbooks, heed foodguy's advice. You don't learn to cook fish by increasing the complexity of dishes.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even then, we're still talking about a anadromous fish that spends significant time in fresh waters where it can pick up parasites and bacteria and tapeworms.
what matt said

Sounds interesting as a way to keep the salmon meat moist. But, aren't you losing the textural contrast between crispy skin and moist flesh underneath with this method?

Could you have tried something like searing it first on the stove, and then finishing it in oven? Or, first pop it in oven at something like 400 degrees for brief period and then finishng it in oven at 250 degrees?

can't have both ... sorry. opposite ends of the spectrum. if you want crisp skin and moist flesh, do the squeegee one-side sear. if you want really melting, completely delectable flesh, do the oven-steam and don't serve the skin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads