• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Btw the movement is exposed because its a tourbillion (I know some Ts are hidden, but its pretty standard to show it off).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Unfortunately I find the interlocking sub-dials, exposed movement and single hands make the overall look a complete mess. Can't fault the finishing or the movement but it just doesn't do it for me.
+1

Do not want. So many great AL&S designs but this one is a train wreck IMO.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So much hate, but I remain in love.

So, what did you guys like from SIHH?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
^ Kari's doing his own movements now? Nice.

I still prefer the Lange though. Move aside Konrad der Grosse - this could be my new grail
inlove.gif

Yes he is. He found that it was too difficult to maintain an ongoing supply of the vintage Persues movement.

Btw the movement is exposed because its a tourbillion (I know some Ts are hidden, but its pretty standard to show it off).

Dude - you must think I am a watch newbie
laugh.gif

My point is that the overall execution, or the combination of design choices, makes this a very messy dial. One can have an exposed dial to draw attention to the tourbillon but in most cases, that is the central feature and the overall design draws your attention to it. Unfortunately, the approach Lange has taken here recalls the disasters that Zenith produced under Thierry Nastaf.

There is just too much happening here.

Originally Posted by gdl203
+1

Do not want. So many great AL&S designs but this one is a train wreck IMO.

Get the Kari then. I like what he has done with the dial. At the moment, I'll be happy with the new Panerai 372
smile.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My point is that the overall execution, or the combination of design choices, makes this a very messy dial. One can have an exposed dial to draw attention to the tourbillon but in most cases, that is the central feature and the overall design draws your attention to it. Unfortunately, the approach Lange has taken here recalls the disasters that Zenith produced under Thierry Nastaf.

I kinda think it works for them though, as the dial layout reminds me a bit of the Lange 1 (realize this is techinically a RL derivation).

Anyhoo, looks like the majority disagree
frown.gif
. Watch preferences seem to be very subjective. I think most agree on what constitutes an attractive suit, but almost everyone has a different grail.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much hate, but I remain in love.

So, what did you guys like from SIHH?

Every piece by Panerai (especially the 372 and 382), the Urwerk UR-110, Lange ultra thin (really love this) and the Gruebel Forsey Invention piece 2 (yes the dial is a little bit of a train wreck but in a nice way). Other notable collections for me include Cartier, especially the Calibre de Cartier range. its nice to see the resources of Roger Dubuis being put to good use. The Cartier Dual Time Zone piece is very nice.

My dislikes for this year:

Audermar Piguet - Nice attempt at updating the Royal Oak Offshore but I think its off the mark. Its almost regressive in nature unlike Panerai's new 47mm case.

Everything by JLC - the luxury "military" watch is just a bloody stupid concept. There is no heritage or credibility behind the Navy SEALs master compressor series. I'd hate for the silly alarm movement to give away a SEAL reconnaissance team's position because it went off at the wrong time. DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Interesting. Agree with you on the Panny's and the Sax ultra-thin, but I like the JLC Navy Seals and dislike the Gruebel Forsey. Dislike the whole GF collection really. Same w/ Urwerk. Haven't focused on Cartier, but will check it out.

Thoughts on the Zeitwerk Striking Time? Not a fan - ridiculous case size, and would rather buy a regular Zeitwerk.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on the PAM line-up. I almost regained hope in the brand. First good year IMO since they introduced the 1st in-house movement and started heading down the toilet. Not a fan of ceramic Radiomirs but everything else is pretty impressive in a retro kind of way.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Interesting. Agree with you on the Panny's and the Sax ultra-thin, but I like the JLC Navy Seals and dislike the Gruebel Forsey. Dislike the whole GF collection really. Same w/ Urwerk. Haven't focused on Cartier, but will check it out.

Thoughts on the Zeitwerk Striking Time? Not a fan - ridiculous case size, and would rather buy a regular Zeitwerk.

GF invention piece 3 in platinum is my ultimate grail tourbillon watch, if I had the cash to burn. I love the overall execution of the time display, especially the interlaid hour and minute markers along with the beautiful engraving. I wished they'd make one without the tourbillon.

You can probably tell that I am not a fan of haute complications like tourbillons and minute repeaters. I can appreciate them though. But ultimately, my interest is highly focused on time only pieces. There is a purity about that and I get excited when a watch maker attempts to change the way we read or interpret time. Hence you will see a rather consistent theme in what gets me excited. I find tourbillons and minute repeaters to be redundant functions. The most functional complication for me would be the GMT.

That will probably answer your next question on the Zeitwerk striking time. I like the digital display concept. This was a rage a few years ago but I think Lange's execution was great. I had little interest in the striking time based on my comments above. However, its an interesting evolution of the Zeitwerk. I do like the way Lange has found a harmonious way to display the striking hammers. Agree on the case size. IMHO, Lange should never have broken the 39mm barrier.

Originally Posted by gdl203
I agree on the PAM line-up. I almost regained hope in the brand. First good year IMO since they introduced the 1st in-house movement and started heading down the toilet. Not a fan of ceramic Radiomirs but everything else is pretty impressive in a retro kind of way.

So have I. For me, the 372 represents the quintessential modern day Panerai - classic 1940's vintage design supported by an in-house movement. I love the Lumiradio hybrid 47mm case and have no issues with the Plexi. I also loved the fact its not a domed crystal like the 127. There was just too much distortion. This was the piece I was hoping for since Panerai announced the move towards in-house movements.

As for the ceramics, they are a PVD-like maintenance time bomb about to happen. Just remember not to spill any alcohol on them
smile.gif

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I find the interlocking sub-dials, exposed movement and single hands make the overall look a complete mess. Can't fault the finishing or the movement but it just doesn't do it for me.

For the asking price, I'd rather go for Kari Voutilainen's new piece - the in-house movement Observatoire.

Agree and agree.

I generally don't like Roman numeral dials, but this Lang & Heyne has a pretty remarkable dial. Pointer date, deadbeat center seconds, and power reserve. Amazingly, all in a 40mm case.

Only +/- $75K as well.
wow.gif

2ufcyua.jpg

25h35t1.jpg

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still prefer the Lange though. Move aside Konrad der Grosse - this could be my new grail
inlove.gif

Each to their own but I must say that the Konrad der Grosse and the Pour le Mirete are two completely different watches all together. I think you can find both to own a special spot on your grail shelf.

I love the Richard Lange series and the spirit of which it was created. It is only natural that more complications are featured over time but I still love the first. But unfortunately, not enough and I have since moved on
smile.gif

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

NOLA1

Reaction score
Re: SIHH 2011

I've never been a big JLC fan but the Master Ultra Thin Moonphase is a good looking watch. The reverso tribute 1931 and reverso with the enamel dial (is the model called email?) are beautiful. I'd never considered a reverso before but I'd go after one of those 2 if the opportunity presented itself.

The VC Worldtimer is a beaut.

IWC's newest version of the handwound portuguese looks great. It's essentially the same as last year's model but without the different color subdial. If only it weren't 44mm.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those who filled me in on those info on NATO straps, I really appreciate it.

I'm glad to see all of you have great looking watches, I'm sort of a beginner so I'll be around to learn from you guys. i will also be asking some questions that might consider to be common sense by some of you guys, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads