• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They may, but I believe the Chinese are producing the most.

This badger talk made me think of a book I read in the '60s - Incident at Hawk's Hill - about a boy who wanders away from his homestead and is raised by a badger for a year or so. Always envied that kid.

lefty

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
south carolina. very good. my pup is my cousin's dog's brother from next litter, but same breeder.

Originally Posted by BP348
That's a great looking pup!! Goldendoodle is on my list of dogs I want to get.

Where is your breeder out of?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
south carolina. very good. my pup is my cousin's dog's brother from next litter, but same breeder.

Nice dog K.

How big ( in lbs. ) do you expect him to get?

Is he kid friendly?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My puppy's mommy, how sweet..

momk.jpg
[/IMG]

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thx, yes, and 40-50lbs

Originally Posted by rnoldh
Nice dog K.

How big ( in lbs. ) do you expect him to get?

Is he kid friendly?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
They may, but I believe the Chinese are producing the most.

This badger talk made me think of a book I read in the '60s - Incident at Hawk's Hill - about a boy who wanders away from his homestead and is raised by a badger for a year or so. Always envied that kid.

lefty

I undertstand the Chinese also eat the badgers. Looking into the matter, I gather badger has been widely eaten in various cultures. That surprises me. I should have thought the meat would be tough as hell, but apparently not. It is rather sought after.

I recall that book, but I never read it. I have the vague notion the kid in the story was autistic or something. Is that correct?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe. It was 40 years ago. It could have been loosely based on true story or there was an autistic kid who who spent some time with badgers recently.

In the video I saw of Chinese badger "farm" they were knocking the animals over the head just enough to stun them, then hanging them from the feet and skinning them alive. Nothing like the screams of an animal having it's skin torn off to make one rethink shaving brushes. I use a vintage brush from my grandfather which is pretty worn down, but I'll use for the rest of my life. All badgers are safe from me.

lefty

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. It was 40 years ago. It could have been loosely based on true story or there was an autistic kid who who spent some time with badgers recently.

In the video I saw of Chinese badger "farm" they were knocking the animals over the head just enough to stun them, then hanging them from the feet and skinning them alive. Nothing like the screams of an animal having it's skin torn off to make one rethink shaving brushes. I use a vintage brush from my grandfather which is pretty worn down, but I'll use for the rest of my life. All badgers are safe from me.

lefty

Man, why in **** would you do that? How hard is it to **** its throat first?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Man, why in **** would you do that? How hard is it to **** its throat first?

I've heard of skinning animals alive for fur, and I cringe every time I hear it. I don't understand this, why alive?
frown.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've heard of skinning animals alive for fur, and I cringe every time I hear it. I don't understand this, why alive?
frown.gif

Maybe it's easier or killing does something to the hide? I suspect however that it is just to save a bullet, bolt, or the time it would take to finish the job. I have no problem with fur but would like to see it raised and slaughtered with some basic ******* decency.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think it's cultural in the sense that a badger is just an animal to be used. Cruelty, as we know it, isn't a consideration.

Wasn't that long ago that Americans were rounding up wild horses, winching them into trailers by their legs, then blinding the mustangs so they didn't fight each other on the way to the dog food cannery.

lefty

P.S. somebody post a puppy picture.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
163821_10150353781365461_680780460_16445772_4689389_n.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lefty

Given that badgers are extremely supple animals, I should have thought you'd be a great risk for getting a very nasty bite trying skin one alive, even hanging by its feet. I should have thought it would be easier to finish them off with a few extra blows from the mallet or cudgel or whatever they used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads