lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Nothing. I can guarantee it! If Tosas weren't very tolerant of being teased by children, my fool of a stepson would have been dead or mangled about 14 years ago! Besides I knew the dog in question well. He was much gentler, more benign dog than his brother Dempsey, whom I owned. Some people said Dempsey was the most intimidating dog they'd ever met, but, God, how I loved that glorious, magnificent creature.

[​IMG]

When I was bitten in the spring (by a Rottweiler mix that was running loose) and confronted the owner, I started with "now here's where you're going to tell me he's never bitten anybody before, right?" and goddamnit, wouldn't you know it, he immediately said "he's never done this before..." I have owned large breed dogs my whole life, but I'd never, ever trust any of my kids alone with them for extended periods of time. Period.

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

For those of you with dogs that enjoy destroying toys, I highly recommend the Kong balls. I have a few that have outlasted all other toys (including standard black Kongs).

Here's one after about a year of use, next to a new one:

[​IMG]

It's not looking too great, but no large chunks have broken off.

3. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

nice yeah i agree with kong ... they are built very well and withstand a LOT. i have the kong toy that you put treats in and it rotates until one falls out. keeps my puppy entertained forever but loud and annoying cuz he likes to pick it up and drop it on my hardwood floor haha

i also used to give him tennis balls until i read the fuzz was bad for pups so i bought these instead ...
    http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Dog-Orb.../dp/B00064BF68

[​IMG]

they hold up well and have some sort of mint flavor which entices him a bit

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

Oddly, in my experience normal tennis balls have held up* better than dog-specific versions.

*"Held up" being a relative term, as I avoid tennis balls altogether since that time my dog demonstrated the capability to eat one and throw it up a month later. The Kong ball comes in a 3" version which makes it much more difficult to swallow.

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I bought a new toy yesterday that seems promising... Everlasting Dog Fire Plug [​IMG] The brown thing on top is a super hard treat and then you can stuff it with your own treats as well. Unlike kongs, it actually takes a lot of work to get the food out so it kept jake occupied for quite some time while he was in his crate.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

nice yeah i agree with kong ... they are built very well and withstand a LOT. i have the kong toy that you put treats in and it rotates until one falls out. keeps my puppy entertained forever but loud and annoying cuz he likes to pick it up and drop it on my hardwood floor haha

Those are the best, almost indestructible, and if you can wedge a biscuit or some other dog treat in there, it keeps them occupied for hours.. Highly recommended for dogs who bore easily..

7. KJT

KJT Senior member

I bought a new toy yesterday that seems promising...

Everlasting Dog Fire Plug

[​IMG]

The brown thing on top is a super hard treat and then you can stuff it with your own treats as well. Unlike kongs, it actually takes a lot of work to get the food out so it kept jake occupied for quite some time while he was in his crate.

My lab has figured these out. He can get the treat out in like 30 seconds. I just smear some peanut butter inside this or a Kong now, and it keeps him occupied for a while.

8. joneog

joneog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I see your goldendoodle and raise you a newfoundland puppy (she's about 150 lbs now)

[​IMG]

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Too many cute puppies in the thread. A few random pics from the Terrier Man site. Rat Catcher [​IMG] Rat Pits [​IMG] Badger Digging [​IMG] Badger [​IMG] lefty

10. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Here's a pic of my pup at about 10 weeks. He's about 18 months now...

[​IMG]

That's the breeder in the background.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Too many cute puppies in the thread.

A few random pics from the Terrier Man site.

Badger
    [​IMG]

lefty

I hate to see badgers killed--they're such neat animals. However, this is hypocritical of me because I do like badger fur shaving brushes.

12. BP348

BP348 Senior member

Comment deleted

13. BP348

BP348 Senior member

[​IMG]

That's a great looking pup!! Goldendoodle is on my list of dogs I want to get.

Where is your breeder out of?

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

I hate to see badgers killed--they're such neat animals. However, this is hypocritical of me because I do like badger fur shaving brushes.

I believe the Chinese do most of the badger killing for shaving brushes these days. Don't do a search for video of their killing methods. Not pretty.

lefty

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^I have the vague notion that American badger hair makes the best shaving brushes. A lot of badgers are harvested here because they are destructive to rangelands and earthworks like dams and levees.