• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times Article on StyleForum

Fanthom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Honorable mentions go to "Marcus": one of the original 2002 members, 13th person to sign up, still active to this day, and only 65 posts. That's awesome.

Originally Posted by lasbar
Really?

Has he been in a coma for 8 years or what?

smile.gif
I've been reading on and off over the years, but posted little. I suppose I am afraid to find out what is in "Current Events" when I round 100 posts..
smile.gif

Whops, that's 66!

gyalos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
But in keeping with my same line of frugality and best bang for your buck thinking, I thought where else can a poor man like myself commingle, if only by virtual association, with a person of patrician standing? Where else could a man such as myself enjoy a vicarious conversation with perhaps our best modern day equivalent of a gadabout with an animus for acerbic wit--For FREE!

Originally Posted by F. Corbera
I'm all for a public face of moderator effectiveness, even if it's false.

Good job.

Originally Posted by RSS
I only came to know SF when many of the better posters left Ask Andy. I reall began to miss them until I discovered that most had come here. Now so many of them have left SF ... where are they going this time? I'm feeling abandonded once again. Is it time to move on?

Sorry for being the one to address the elephant in (or rather out of) the room, being a noob and all that, but what exactly happened there?

TheSauceBoss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geezer
"These sites seem to speak to a demographic other than young city-dwelling grooming enthusiasts "” those wishing to rescue the arena of men's haberdashery from the feminizing influence of the new men's shopping magazines like Cargo. The posters on these sites seek to distinguish themselves as connoisseurs of clothing rather than followers of fashion."

This sums up why, after a lot of lurking, I decided to join and lurk, and then occasionally post.

That and the snark.

+ 100

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
we have Brad to thank for that. Was pretty funny.

SF went down, we all hit AAAC en masse, started posting in the thick of that site's Trad phase (most trad dog anyone?), for the most part we were all trying to participate, fit in with the differing tone of that site and differing discussions.

Then Bradford starts a thread "Your favorite hoodie"... the response of the board was hilarious, as they found hoodie discussion in there among the Madras pant worship - totally like There Goes The Neighbourhood - and pretty promptly thereafter, we had ourselves a refugee camp to keep our filthy faded jeans away from their freshly pressed cuffed khakis
laugh.gif

Still, was super cool of them to put us up over there, the sites aren't as close as they used to be, but really appreciate the help.

Is that thread still around? Couldn't find it on AAAC.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Is that thread still around? Couldn't find it on AAAC.
no, they set up a private SF refugee camp board for us, and I think moved that in to it immediately (this is all like 4 yrs ago now I guess). When SF got back up post crash, they closed the refugee camp board down.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, they set up a private SF refugee camp board for us, and I think moved that in to it immediately (this is all like 4 yrs ago now I guess). When SF got back up post crash, they closed the refugee camp board down.

Dont forget that earlier versions of AAAC did not use VBulletin and had some archaic software that would actually bump when you edited a post. When they moved over to VBulletin alot of the posts were lost (in addition to another more recent loss of data that cut post counts in half) other than First and Last post n each thread.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My log in doesnt work any longer at AAAC, but on a quick peruse, it looks as if nothing has changed over there except it only looks 10 year out of date....the damn sock advertisements are really distracting and kind of distrubing.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
we used to keep a no-slangin'-the-other-boards rule around here, which was a pretty good rule to keep to, so let's not let this thread degenerate too far down that road, and keep a good natured thread as good natured as possible...but I will say that I poked my head in there a couple of months back and really did find the layout unsatisfying. Not sure if any of the powers that be over there read SF any more, but if they are...boys, happy new year, and take the above as some constructive feedback.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fanthom
I suppose I am afraid to find out what is in "Current Events" when I round 100 posts..
smile.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Oh, and we gave him a name change to celebrate number 66

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we used to keep a no-slangin'-the-other-boards rule around here, which was a pretty good rule to keep to, so let's not let this thread degenerate too far down that road, and keep a good natured thread as good natured as possible...but I will say that I poked my head in there a couple of months back and really did find the layout unsatisfying. Not sure if any of the powers that be over there read SF any more, but if they are...boys, happy new year, and take the above as some constructive feedback.

There are two issues with the ads. One was dealt with and the other remains. The first issue was that the appropriateness of the ads was troubling. The scantily clad women showing off PJ's or Scarves was hard to view in a workplace of home setting. That I believe was broached on the forum and then corrected.

The other issue is the layout. The ads have taken over almost 30-40% of the screen which makes viewing bothersome. That still exists.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
The other issue is the layout. The ads have taken over almost 30-40% of the screen which makes viewing bothersome. That still exists.
ya, I have no issue with how they monetise the site, that's their business, and ultimately, I just don't care. I just thought as a viewer, when I went and had a look, the layout of the page was unfriendly. On to more important topics...wth happened between Manton and an African dictator???

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF went down, we all hit AAAC en masse, started posting in the thick of that site's Trad phase (most trad dog anyone?), for the most part we were all trying to participate, fit in with the differing tone of that site and differing discussions.
did you call each other "uncle" and "cousin"?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On to more important topics...wth happened between Manton and an African dictator???

Inquiring minds want to know! This was either before my time or I missed it.

Master Shake
Member since March 17, 2006, #1916

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads