1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NY Times Article on StyleForum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jan 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Matt

Matt Senior member

Is that thread still around? Couldn't find it on AAAC.
    no, they set up a private SF refugee camp board for us, and I think moved that in to it immediately (this is all like 4 yrs ago now I guess). When SF got back up post crash, they closed the refugee camp board down.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

no, they set up a private SF refugee camp board for us, and I think moved that in to it immediately (this is all like 4 yrs ago now I guess). When SF got back up post crash, they closed the refugee camp board down.

Dont forget that earlier versions of AAAC did not use VBulletin and had some archaic software that would actually bump when you edited a post. When they moved over to VBulletin alot of the posts were lost (in addition to another more recent loss of data that cut post counts in half) other than First and Last post n each thread.

3. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

My log in doesnt work any longer at AAAC, but on a quick peruse, it looks as if nothing has changed over there except it only looks 10 year out of date....the damn sock advertisements are really distracting and kind of distrubing.

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

we used to keep a no-slangin'-the-other-boards rule around here, which was a pretty good rule to keep to, so let's not let this thread degenerate too far down that road, and keep a good natured thread as good natured as possible...but I will say that I poked my head in there a couple of months back and really did find the layout unsatisfying. Not sure if any of the powers that be over there read SF any more, but if they are...boys, happy new year, and take the above as some constructive feedback.

5. Matt

Matt Senior member

I suppose I am afraid to find out what is in "Current Events" when I round 100 posts.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and we gave him a name change to celebrate number 66

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

we used to keep a no-slangin'-the-other-boards rule around here, which was a pretty good rule to keep to, so let's not let this thread degenerate too far down that road, and keep a good natured thread as good natured as possible...but I will say that I poked my head in there a couple of months back and really did find the layout unsatisfying. Not sure if any of the powers that be over there read SF any more, but if they are...boys, happy new year, and take the above as some constructive feedback.

There are two issues with the ads. One was dealt with and the other remains. The first issue was that the appropriateness of the ads was troubling. The scantily clad women showing off PJ's or Scarves was hard to view in a workplace of home setting. That I believe was broached on the forum and then corrected.

The other issue is the layout. The ads have taken over almost 30-40% of the screen which makes viewing bothersome. That still exists.

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

The other issue is the layout. The ads have taken over almost 30-40% of the screen which makes viewing bothersome. That still exists.
    ya, I have no issue with how they monetise the site, that's their business, and ultimately, I just don't care. I just thought as a viewer, when I went and had a look, the layout of the page was unfriendly. On to more important topics...wth happened between Manton and an African dictator???

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    SF went down, we all hit AAAC en masse, started posting in the thick of that site's Trad phase (most trad dog anyone?), for the most part we were all trying to participate, fit in with the differing tone of that site and differing discussions.
    did you call each other "uncle" and "cousin"?

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

did you call each other "uncle" and "cousin"?

[​IMG]

10. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

On to more important topics...wth happened between Manton and an African dictator???

Inquiring minds want to know! This was either before my time or I missed it.

Master Shake
    Member since March 17, 2006, #1916

11. bing

bing Senior member

interesting read...

is there a link or thread somewhere that lists the moderator and admin team for SF?

I'd also be interested to know why the site is still using VB 3.6. Upgrading to 4.0 would make a lot of sense and bring a whole slew of cool features to the site. Lack of iTrader is also a curious decision.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

interesting read...

is there a link or thread somewhere that lists the moderator and admin team for SF?

I'd also be interested to know why the site is still using VB 3.6. Upgrading to 4.0 would make a lot of sense and bring a whole slew of cool features to the site. Lack of iTrader is also a curious decision.

j and I are the admins and partners. Matt is the supermoderator. Kwilkinson, Steve B., Brian SD, Bradford, and Shoreman are all moderators in one form or another.

We didn't like 4.0, and were also worried about some of our hacks being transported. Also, we are preparing to move to another system altogether, and the upgrade would have been a PITA with only a few months of reward.

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

So when's the big move going to happen, Fok? tentative tie frame?

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hopefully in the second quarter of 2011. There will be some customization of the platform (in particular, we are designing an interesting B&S system,) followed by a trial period when a smaller group of users (I think about 200 in total) will be invited to test the system, try to break it, give us feedback on what they like, don't like, etc... accompanied by iterative changes. After that, the system will launch. We will preserve the flavor of the site, but add functions and features that will enhance the user experience, both for the hardcore member (you guys) and for the passerby.

One thing is certain. We will not launch until we are happy with how the new system will look, feel, and play.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thats really exciting - can't wait. Id volunteer to test a beta if need be, just ask.

Freudian slip like a true SF'er.

16. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

we have Brad to thank for that. Was pretty funny. SF went down, we all hit AAAC en masse, started posting in the thick of that site's Trad phase (most trad dog anyone?), for the most part we were all trying to participate, fit in with the differing tone of that site and differing discussions. Then Bradford starts a thread "Your favorite hoodie"... the response of the board was hilarious, as they found hoodie discussion in there among the Madras pant worship - totally like There Goes The Neighbourhood - and pretty promptly thereafter, we had ourselves a refugee camp to keep our filthy faded jeans away from their freshly pressed cuffed khakis [​IMG] Still, was super cool of them to put us up over there, the sites aren't as close as they used to be, but really appreciate the help.
    Is that thread still around? Couldn't find it on AAAC.
    You just have to know where to look, although I don't know if the reality will love up to the legend [​IMG] http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ies-best-brand

17. intent

intent Senior member

Sign me up for SF 3.0 beta (the only time I'll accept beta status). By "another system" do you mean another forum software other than vBulletin? [​IMG]

18. ruben

ruben Senior member

Between the lot of you, how many hours a week do you spend running the site?

Do you make any money? break even? lose money?

19. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

You just have to know where to look, although I don't know if the reality will love up to the legend [​IMG]

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ies-best-brand

Hahahaha, thanks!

Somebody in that thread described hoodies and jeans as prole wear? Ouch.

Good to see that some things haven't changed. [​IMG]

20. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Hopefully in the second quarter of 2011. There will be some customization of the platform (in particular, we are designing an interesting B&S system,) followed by a trial period when a smaller group of users (I think about 200 in total) will be invited to test the system, try to break it, give us feedback on what they like, don't like, etc... accompanied by iterative changes. After that, the system will launch. We will preserve the flavor of the site, but add functions and features that will enhance the user experience, both for the hardcore member (you guys) and for the passerby.

One thing is certain. We will not launch until we are happy with how the new system will look, feel, and play.

New Styleforum logo (banner) too?