1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NY Times Article on StyleForum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jan 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Hahaha shit [​IMG] I remember when PA used to post before he went to jail, those were the days.

He came back after, it seemed like he was constantly being banned for something or another. I loved how he would test for ingredients in products, but could never tell us what they were even when they could have been dangerous and/or were lying about what was in them. Meh I prefer SF over bb.com any day. (even though everyone here is afraid of squats [​IMG] )

2. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

There is always a slight dip after Christmas (or has been for the last 6 years I've been tracking, in any case). We are working on ways to make the forum more attractive to high quality posters like F Corbera and Manton. We are doing well, but never want to get complacent.

Fok - just curious, when does traffic begin to pick up usually? And are there times in the year when traffic peaks?

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Fok - just curious, when does traffic begin to pick up usually? And are there times in the year when traffic peaks?

Still trying to find a proper answer to this question....

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Steve B exists only to troll me now.

[​IMG]

5. bing

bing Senior member

what up with all the spam?

It's pretty terrible for a forum this size... add some mods to address or something..

sorry, didnt know where else to put this [​IMG]

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

what up with all the spam?

It's pretty terrible for a forum this size... add some mods to address or something..

sorry, didnt know where else to put this [​IMG]

Dude, it's a Sunday. They are with their families.

7. bing

bing Senior member

i've only been registered for like 30 days and i'm already not letting my family get in the way of styleforum... dudes need to man-up

8. SpooPoker

i've only been registered for like 30 days and i'm already not letting my family get in the way of styleforum... dudes need to man-up

[​IMG]

9. bing

bing Senior member

10. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

+1

I spent last night having dinner with a bunch of family members. It was at another person's house, some late Christmas presents were exchanged, and I got to see my niece.

Came back and saw that I missed out on a pair of Mabitex pants I really wanted.

Never again.

11. stillerfan07

stillerfan07 Senior member

+1. I like how things are run right now by you and j. The last thing I would want is to this forum into a corporate tool or be spammed w/ ads everytime I visit the site.

We have been approached for acquisition by a number of companies, but are not interested at this point. We are negotiating with a short term third party hosting company that will allow better monetization of the forum, but we have a high priced lawyer working on our contract so that j and I maintain complete creative control of the forum. We will also be asking for, and getting, some interesting features that we hope that you will like.

The problem with a lot of these companies like Vertical Scope is that although they may be gotten started the right way, they quickly became businesses that put money before the community. I've seen communities fucked for all they are worth and then left to die. And I hate that. It's hack-and-slash, quarterly revenues driven shit, and imo, shortsighted and bad for long term, sustainable growth, which is what we are after. We have tons of ideas for the forum. The company we are working with seems receptive to those ideas, and we will be protected by contract. So, to make this long-winded post short, expect to see us in the driver's seat for a long time.

We've been here since 2002, which is a good, long, time, and my first love is fashion (yes, and style), not money (though, let's be honest, if someone offered us $100 million right now, we'd be like "Oh shit, we had better really think about this.)

There is always a slight dip after Christmas (or has been for the last 6 years I've been tracking, in any case). We are working on ways to make the forum more attractive to high quality posters like F Corbera and Manton. We are doing well, but never want to get complacent.

12. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

+1

I spent last night having dinner with a bunch of family members. It was at another person's house, some late Christmas presents were exchanged, and I got to see my niece.

Never again.

I am happy to see that members are actually browsing from home and not just at work as in the past.

13. bing

bing Senior member

+1

Never again.

exactly.

i don't want to engage with people. I just want them to like my shoes

14. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

That NYT article is what got me on here.

I seem to have been here for some time.

EDIT: How do I find my member number?

15. onix

onix Senior member

16. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

17. poorlawstudent

poorlawstudent Well-Known Member

exactly.

i don't want to engage with people. I just want them to like my shoes

I'm tempted to sig this.

18. Bradford