• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mfais

Reaction score
i got a shirt mtm locally and its a slim fitting shirt. the elbow area is a bit tight when i try to touch my chin, how do i resolve this? do i tell the tailor to widen the elbow or is it the back?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
573.jpg
Fashion gods: Towards the end of January, I'd like to wear a grey Hickey Freeman suit to an interview. Total n00b question, but would the above suit be acceptable? I want to be certain that (a) it's an appropriate color for the month/occasion, and (b) I don't look like a total asshole applying for my first lowly teaching job in too nice of a suit. (I paid ten bucks at Goodwill, but according to my, uh, grandfather's tailor, it's ridiculously nice and apparently pretty new). Just don't want to make the wrong impression either way. Thanks.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
573.jpg

Fashion gods:

Towards the end of January, I'd like to wear a grey Hickey Freeman suit to an interview. Total n00b question, but would the above suit be acceptable? I want to be certain that (a) it's an appropriate color for the month/occasion, and (b) I don't look like a total asshole applying for my first lowly teaching job in too nice of a suit. (I paid ten bucks at Goodwill, but according to my, uh, grandfather's tailor, it's ridiculously nice and apparently pretty new).

Just don't want to make the wrong impression either way. Thanks.

it doesn't look overly flashy. Just wear a white shirt with a conservative tie and you should be fine. Nice buy

ebmk3891

Reaction score
okay - so no one answered my question in the other AE threads. I'm looking to get the Park Aves. I generally wear a 10 D (sometimes can be snug). I bought a pair of AE's on ebay but it didn't list the model. I got it for it's color/looks. They were listed as 10D's and fit pretty well.
!B-yoO9QCWk~$%28KGrHqIOKkYEzldvy++%29BM9sJ0VsBQ~~0_3.JPG

As for the Park Aves - I've read that the last is pretty slim. Should I get 9E's? 9EE's? My foot is 4" at its widest point

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a Nordstrom in your area? They often carry Allen-Edmonds. You could try some on there.

If you'd rather take a gamble on some untried shoes, then I'd stick with a size you know that fits, even if it's a different last. If the PAs are snug, you can always take them to a shoe repair shop and have them stretched a bit.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
it doesn't look overly flashy. Just wear a white shirt with a conservative tie and you should be fine. Nice buy

Totally agree.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbelden00
noob SFer here... If I wanted to buy 5 pairs of wool slacks (thin and heavy) in one shot, where should I go? Can be unhemmed in size 34 for a guy who's 6'2" ~185 so i'd like the leg to be tapered a bit if possible. Where can I go @ around $70 a pair (if possible, and cheaper if possible).

Try Nordstrom Rack or Loehmans

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Woo! Thanks so much.... That's great news for me. (No answer to your shoe question, but from someone trying on a lot of different used AEs lately, I'll add a big +1 to trying on the exact model from a local store first.)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Both coats you put up are too short for a regular length overcoat. Ulster is a regular length overcoat. I will rest my case here, have fun trying to figure out the name.
So a coat that has all these characteristics, but is knee length instead of calf length, isn't an Ulster coat?
  • Belted back
  • Patch pockets
  • Military collar
  • Inverse pleat on rear back
  • Buttoned vent
  • Turn back cuffs

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
So a coat that has all these characteristics, but is knee length instead of calf length, isn't an Ulster coat?
  • Belted back
  • Patch pockets
  • Military collar
  • Inverse pleat on rear back
  • Buttoned vent
  • Turn back cuffs
I would suggest you to ask those from the london lounge, especially a member by the name alden.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I am watching Choas Theory with Ryan Renyolds and I was wondering if anyone knows what over coat he is wearing?

chaos_theory_movie_image_ryan_reynolds.jpg

tn_R024-21.jpg

arts_chaostheory_392.jpg

photo-La-Theorie-du-chaos-Chaos-Theory-2007-5.jpg

No one?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get the Park Aves. I generally wear a 10 D (sometimes can be snug). I bought a pair of AE's on ebay but it didn't list the model. I got it for it's color/looks. They were listed as 10D's and fit pretty well. As for the Park Aves - I've read that the last is pretty slim. Should I get 9E's? 9EE's? My foot is 4" at its widest point
Park Aves are on the slightly longer and narrower #5 last, but I can't see going down a full size in length from your normal shoe size; ditto for the width. I'm typically a long 9D/short 9.5D (a 9.25D, if you will), and a 9E fits me perfectly in the Park Ave. For your foot, I'd first consider a 9.5E on AE's #5 last. Hope this helps! - Keith

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads